Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/3/2002 10:26:37 PM EDT
I purchased the Logitech Cordless Freedom Optical Mouse and Keyboard combo 3 months ago, and the stinkin' mouse eats 2 AA batteries per month! The keyboard batteries are still strong after three months, but the mouse goes through them like a hot knife through butter.

Just a warning.

Actually, the cordless feature is cool because you can move the keyboard out of the way to write, but the darn mouse is killing my battery supply. I have to start buying AA batteries in bulk now. Any sources?
Link Posted: 6/3/2002 10:46:13 PM EDT
[#1]
In my part of the country, Dollar General sells their own brand of AA alkalines for 25 cents apiece in a 6-pack — That's 50 cents a month...

Your other option is to buy Nickle Metal Hydride rechargable batteries. They should last just about as long per charge as alkalines. Best deals on them seem to be the battery/charger bundled packages — Shouldn't have to spend more than 15 dollars.

I really like my wired Logitech optical mouse — great performance at about half the price of a Microsoft mouse. Cordless mice don't make much sense with a laptop...
Link Posted: 6/3/2002 10:51:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Skibane. I was going to try NiCads or NMH like you mentioned, but I heard they don't produce the full 1.5 volts you need. I don't know why, but people on the forums say they have not been able to get rechargable batteries to work with the cordless mouse.
Link Posted: 6/3/2002 11:01:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Really, what you need is the 3v power supply adaptor to plug into your surge protector and the back of your cordless mouse.  [;D]
Link Posted: 6/3/2002 11:16:51 PM EDT
[#4]
True!  Great mouse but it does eat 2+ per month
Link Posted: 6/3/2002 11:18:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I bet all of your black widows came out of that mouse, too.
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 1:14:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 2:35:50 AM EDT
[#7]
If you're going to go cordless then you must go mechanical.  Having to operate the light on the optical mouse eats batteries like nothing.  I have the logitech mechanical chordless keyboard and mouse and it's still got the same batteries in it from when I bought the pair in October.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 3:11:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I bet all of your black widows came out of that mouse, too.
View Quote

Cut that sh*t out! You made me take my hand off the mouse for a moment there! he he
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 3:16:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If you're going to go cordless then you must go mechanical.  Having to operate the light on the optical mouse eats batteries like nothing.  I have the logitech mechanical chordless keyboard and mouse and it's still got the same batteries in it from when I bought the pair in October.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
View Quote

Yeah, I have the cordless keyboard and the reason the batteries are lasting is because there's no keypad LEDs for num lock, caps lock, and scroll lock. Take about a trade off!

I'm ditching this high-tech crap and going back to my MS mouse and circa-1990 Northgate keyboard. The best keyboard there is!

But I will miss the buttons that take you directly to web sites. I have the "Community" button programmed to take me directly to ar15.com/forums.
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 3:29:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Get a couple sets of "Pure Energy" rechargable alkalines.  Work great in my Logitech cordless optical.  My Logitech Cordless Wingman likes 'em too.

Link Posted: 6/4/2002 3:34:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Couldn't they power a cordless mouse with the power supplied by moving it around on the mousepad???
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 4:21:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Thanks Skibane. I was going to try NiCads or NMH like you mentioned, but I heard they don't produce the full 1.5 volts you need. I don't know why, but people on the forums say they have not been able to get rechargable batteries to work with the cordless mouse.
View Quote

ya heard wrong or whoever said it is a idiot. use NiHMS, 1800mah.

and yes the optis eat batts in 2 weeks. because they have to keep the light powered to watch for movement. This is the benfit of my cordless Mouseman+ ball mouse, by logitech. My cordless mouse goes a month on tripleAAAs. You can expect the keyboard(2AAs) batts to average 6 months between changings. I've owned it 2 years and changed it 3 times, its on 4th set now. they keyboard bats last so long because the only time is uses power is when you press a key. the ball mice use power only whenever a button is pressed or it is moved. the opti mouse never stops using power unless you take its batts away.

get a set of NiHMs 1800mah's and the charger (4 of the batts is average) that way when you run the current pair out you can change them out in a instant and be back in action. dont go back to the wired stuff... you wont like it. i have it at work and dont like it.
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 4:40:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I purchased the Logitech Cordless Freedom Optical Mouse and Keyboard combo 3 months ago, and the stinkin' mouse eats 2 AA batteries per month! The keyboard batteries are still strong after three months, but the mouse goes through them like a hot knife through butter.

Just a warning.

Actually, the cordless feature is cool because you can move the keyboard out of the way to write, but the darn mouse is killing my battery supply. I have to start buying AA batteries in bulk now. Any sources?
View Quote

Let me get this strait,you're bitching about a buck a month for batteries?
It just could be that you are on your computer a little to much and that is why you are using batteries up like that.
Edited to say this was meant in none flame manner :)
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 6:38:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 8:38:28 AM EDT
[#15]
I have a Logitech cordless optical mouse, I use my computer every day, and my batteries last AT LEAST 3 months every time.
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 8:42:30 AM EDT
[#16]
My Logitech cordless optical mouse was purchased during the first week of January.  I have changed the batteries twice.  I use my computer every day - I'm guessing 8-10 weeks of use per battery set.
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 1:34:37 PM EDT
[#17]
I've got the same setup (cordless freedom) as you do.  Maha is one tops in the field.  I got the recharger with 1800mha batteries here:

[url]http://www.mahaenergy.com/products/PowerEx/ce/mhc204f.htm[/url]

I got a couple sets of batteries and always keep them charged.  I use them also for the digital camera among other things.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top