Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/12/2011 9:35:13 AM EDT
Another thread inspired me - what do you require for FTF sales?

Personally, I've only done it a couple of times.  Once was in partial trade for a vehicle I was selling, and no paperwork was offered.  If I really had to find the guy, I could do it via tracing the VIN on the car I owned I suppose.

I once swapped guns even with a guy in the parking lot of a gun show.  He had a pistol I wanted, he wanted my rifle.  I didn't even get his first name.

I've bought a couple of pistols from a guy on Facebook.  He wanted my driver's license number, CCW number, and a signed bill of sale.  It kinda irked me, but it was a killer deal, so I filled out his copy and signed it.  He went to fill out the duplicate for me and I told him not to bother.  I just crumpled it up and threw it in the back of my truck.  That seemed to make him a little uneasy...

How do you handle it?
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 9:36:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Cash & carry no need for stupid papers.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 9:37:09 AM EDT
[#2]
The few I've done, I hand over the cash, they hand over the firearm, we shake hands, I get in my vehicle and drive away.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 9:37:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Hand them cash, get firearm or vice versa. And a handshake.

Aint America great

ETA- I've sold guns in the parking lots of Wendy's, Publix, Waffle House, Wal Mart, the local Sheriff's Office and a closed flea market
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 9:37:52 AM EDT
[#4]
I show up with gun. They show up with $$$. They hand me the $$. I hand them the gun. I go home and have a snack.
Edit: sometimes I have the snack before I leave with the gun.

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 9:38:21 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I show up with gun. They show up with $$$. They hand me the $$. I hand them the gun. I go home and have a snack.

Pics of snack?

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 9:39:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Aint America great

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 9:40:30 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Aint America great

Yup

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 9:42:30 AM EDT
[#8]
I have my local fucked up Tranny do it for me. They are amazingly good at paperwork...who knew?
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 9:42:31 AM EDT
[#9]
I bought a pistol from a guy who asked me to let him photocopy my DL.  I let him, but it still irks me today.  FTF is cash and carry.  If someone wants to have a look at a DL or CCW permit, or write down a License plate, or copy an Email, that's up to them.  I would probably do some of the above if I were the seller.  
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 9:42:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The few I've done, I hand over the cash, they hand over the firearm, we shake hands, I get in my vehicle and drive away.

This.

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 9:45:48 AM EDT
[#11]
I get the serial number, call police for a stolen gun check.  Examine weapon, hand over cash, walk away.  Shake hands and thank them.  Sometimes I get to know their names sometimes not.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 9:47:30 AM EDT
[#12]
sorry dupe
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 9:48:39 AM EDT
[#13]
I've only done it a few times, once to a person I've known for years, and the other two times to members here.

Well, I'd obviously vetted the person I knew - I grew up with them.

And something about 100+ positive feedback in the EE for an Arfcommer tells me I probably shouldn't worry...

I approach it on a case by case basis. Complete stranger? I'll bring a friend, a CCW, and play it by ear from there.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 9:51:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Last one I did was in a Toys R Us parking lot.

It was for the children.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 9:52:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Usually meet somewhere public, shake hands, bullshit for a few minutes (to see if anything seems hinky), ask to see ID-not for a bill of sale, but to make sure I'm not selling something to someone from out of state. Then they count cash while I look over the gun (or vice versa). Provided everyone's satisfied, a hand shake and we go our seperate ways. I file any email correspondence, but that's as much as I need.

I have walked away from sales because the buyer gave me a hinky feeling, and one guy was very fucking pissed off when I erefused to sell him a pistol. Why the change of heart? Because he barely spoke english and had so tattoos that looked like prison or gang tats. Fortunately he didn't throw a hissy fit.

And all of my guns have been purchased FTF. Saves on sales tax, and if you're patient, you can find some smoking deals
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 9:53:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Bill of sale, copy of name address. Got a pic of driver license last time.
I want to be able to cover my ass. Yes mister ATF man, I sold this gun, on this day, to this guy. Goodbye.
It's not worth the liability to do it otherwise.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 9:55:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

It was for the children.

Best story yet.

Only time I've done one is a straight up trade in the guy's driveway, gave him my CAI Yugo M70AB2, he gave me a glock 20 with night sights. I was so happy I forgot to get my bulldog case from him, but I guess it works out. Only reason I'm mad at myself was because the case was a gift.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 9:59:29 AM EDT
[#18]
I always offer to do a bill of sale: most people accept, some arn't interested; doesn't matter to me either way.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 10:07:09 AM EDT
[#19]
I will only sell a firearm to someone that provides me with a copy of their drivers license. This provides several things:

1. It proves they are a resident of my state
2. It proves they are of legal age to own a firearm
3. it provides all the pertinent information a LEO or BATF agent would need if that gun ever turns up in a crime and they come and question me about how I disposed of the gun
4. If a person will give you a copy of their drivers license for a firearms transaction, they are probably an honest person

I have had a couple of people over the years refuse to give me a copy of their DL on a FTF transaction or in-state transaction. I would not sell them the gun.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 10:09:24 AM EDT
[#20]
I do it through a FFL. That way it's registered.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 10:11:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Pics of snack?

chicky snack?
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 10:14:21 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

It was for the children.

I haven't thought about a parking lot xfer for "The Children" (tm) I will do that the next time.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 10:15:16 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Bill of sale, copy of name address. Got a pic of driver license last time.
I want to be able to cover my ass. Yes mister ATF man, I sold this gun, on this day, to this guy. Goodbye.
It's not worth the liability to do it otherwise.

What liability?  In the unlikely event that the gun you sold is ever subject to a trace, and the even more unlikely
event that you actually get a call, simply stating that you sold it is good enough.  You don't have to prove anything.
I don't get the junior G-man gun registration that some people like to do.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 10:16:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Maybe I am not as trust worthy as you fine gentlemen but I always get a bill of sale that states the buyer is not a felon, that kind of thing. If they have a CHL I usually don't bother though. I don't mind showing mine nor signing a bill of sale with my name on it. If they want a lot of personal info I say no thanks.

Quoted:

What liability?  In the unlikely event that the gun you sold is ever subject to a trace, and the even more unlikely
event that you actually get a call, simply stating that you sold it is good enough.  You don't have to prove anything.

Are you going to tell him how to mow his lawn too? He's covering his ass. It is unlikely that our homes will be broken in to but we still lock the doors and load the chambers, right?
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 10:16:42 AM EDT
[#25]
Cashier's Check and driver's license.

I've already had a visit by the Po Po asking me about a gun I sold which was subsequently stolen from the guy who bought it from me. As it turns out, it was the gun used to assassinate Abraham Lincoln
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 10:17:25 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Aint America great

Yup  

yup +1

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 10:18:08 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Aint America great

Yup  

God bless her

I bought my first 686 in the parking lot of a strip club in Cocoa Beach Florida . I handed him $350 and left with a beautiful revolver . He went back into the club
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 10:19:01 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I will only sell a firearm to someone that provides me with a copy of their drivers license. This provides several things:

3. it provides all the pertinent information a LEO or BATF agent would need if that gun ever turns up in a crime and they come and question me about how I disposed of the gun
4. If a person will give you a copy of their drivers license for a firearms transaction, they are probably an honest person

I have had a couple of people over the years refuse to give me a copy of their DL on a FTF transaction or in-state transaction. I would not sell them the gun.

Do you look at it or get a "copy"?
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 10:19:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Whenever I buy or sell guns private party, I bring two identical Bills of Sale.

I fill them out with all pertinent information, and then sign both along with the buyer/seller.

I show them my ID, and they show me theirs (and that info goes on both Bills of Sale). They get one original copy, and so do I.

You can say "Ain't America Great With No Paperwork" all day long, but I don't want to be the one caught in the "Trick Bag" if something goes down after the sale.

Paperwork can really be your friend.

Just sayin'.

Oh, BTW: Flame Suit is on.

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 10:19:50 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

This.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 10:21:09 AM EDT
[#31]
I give cash, they give firearm.

Or vice versa.

Its really that easy
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 10:22:03 AM EDT
[#32]
I have never done a FTF transfer. My current policy is to play it by ear should the situation ever arise. My buddy does it and uses a bill of sale only, unless he knows the buyer.  I do not think asking for a photocopy of a DL and or bill of sale with serial # on is unreasonable, but to each his own.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 10:22:30 AM EDT
[#33]
Here's my usual spot for gun sales. I'll be here waiting for you guys.  I'll be the one with the hood and sunglasses (even at night).    

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 10:22:47 AM EDT
[#34]
If Ibuy a gun from a stranger, I am NOT gonna give him any personal info. Why do I want a complete stranger there's at least one gun in my house?
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 10:31:25 AM EDT
[#35]
For FTF, all that I want to see is a driver's license (with my state on it), and its expiration date.  They can obscure the address if they like.  If we are doing it in a public place with computers/internet access, we can sit down and pull up the FDLE website, run the serial number through their free "stolen gun checker," and save/print a copy of the screen.  After the sale is complete, I'll take a printout of the stolen gun check results, seal them in an envelope, have a person at the post office stamp over the seal with their  Post Office date stamp (several times,) and mail it to myself registered mail.  If the gun gets used in a crime, the popo can utilize their resources and time to have FDLE check their database searches and results, and, ideally, verify that my story is true.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 10:33:43 AM EDT
[#36]
The most I've done is checked ID to make sure they are a resident of the state, beyond that.  I get cash, they get whatever i'm selling.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 10:34:40 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

This
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 10:36:35 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Yep, I've sold/bought guns several times this way. I request to meet in a public place though, I don't really feel confortable going to someone's house or having them come to mine.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 10:37:24 AM EDT
[#39]
I usually type up a generic revolt put there address that's on their DL and mine as well I usually text my wife the vehicle and plate info and I take a friend with me who's a police officer. I do all gun trades at a police substation in the parking lot. Usually that deters most criminals away. Never had an issue. I have actually made a few friends that way.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 10:51:59 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 10:54:31 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 10:55:23 AM EDT
[#42]
That reminds me, I need to go lose my Sig in the lake.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 10:56:23 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Whenever I buy or sell guns private party, I bring two identical Bills of Sale.

I fill them out with all pertinent information, and then sign both along with the buyer/seller.

I show them my ID, and they show me theirs (and that info goes on both Bills of Sale). They get one original copy, and so do I.

You can say "Ain't America Great With No Paperwork" all day long, but I don't want to be the one caught in the "Trick Bag" if something goes down after the sale.

Paperwork can really be your friend.

Just sayin'.

Oh, BTW: Flame Suit is on.

You will get no flames from me. How you conduct your personal business is totally up to you and the law, and CYA is never a bad thing.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 10:57:06 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Quoted:

What liability? In the unlikely event that the gun you sold is ever subject to a trace, and the even more unlikely
event that you actually get a call
, simply stating that you sold it is good enough. You don't have to prove anything.

"Even more unlikely" or not, it has happened to me.

"Good enough" or not, I was glad to have the information available when I was asked.

YMMV.

Always be prepared.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1217806_So_the_ATF_contacted_me_yesterday.html
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 10:58:50 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Another thread inspired me - what do you require for FTF sales?

Personally, I've only done it a couple of times.  Once was in partial trade for a vehicle I was selling, and no paperwork was offered.  If I really had to find the guy, I could do it via tracing the VIN on the car I owned I suppose.

I once swapped guns even with a guy in the parking lot of a gun show.  He had a pistol I wanted, he wanted my rifle.  I didn't even get his first name.

I've bought a couple of pistols from a guy on Facebook.  He wanted my driver's license number, CCW number, and a signed bill of sale.  It kinda irked me, but it was a killer deal, so I filled out his copy and signed it.  He went to fill out the duplicate for me and I told him not to bother.  I just crumpled it up and threw it in the back of my truck.  That seemed to make him a little uneasy...

How do you handle it?

I done FTFs before with people I didn't know, but always as the buyer.

I came to his home, introduced myself and shook his hand.  I met his wife too.  He was carrying in a holster for the whole exchange, which did not bother me in the slightest, if our positions were reversed, I'd have done the same.

I never saw his safe or any other guns besides the one I was there to buy, and the one he was carrying.

We ended up chatting for a while about guns and both of us were pleased with the transaction.

Just my experience as the buyer.

As the seller, I've only sold guns to my close personal friends, so security was not an issue.

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 11:03:32 AM EDT
[#46]

For FTF gun sales, I require cash.  

As long as they don't voluntarily give me a reason to suspect they can't legally purchase the gun from me, I'll sell it.

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 11:06:23 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you look at it or get a "copy"?

You must have missed this part?

I bought a gun from a guy once who had a full document written in legaleese for me to sign. I was like "whatever" but it was waaaaay overkill. If you're that fucking paranoid then just go through an FFL. I wouldn't have been a bit surprised if a Notary Public chick had popped outta the trunk to witness the signing.    
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 11:12:43 AM EDT
[#48]
I guess I am way out of the loop and forgive me for asking, but doing a FTF sale of a firearm is easy as handing money over, handing weapon over, and then that is it?  Nothing else needs to be done?  I have never done a FTF and am just curious.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 11:15:03 AM EDT
[#49]
I've done cash & carry as well as a bill of sale with make, model, s/n, my name, seller's name, and our D/L numbers.  The seller checked my state purchase permit.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 11:15:07 AM EDT
[#50]
When purchasing, I'll provide a peak at my CCW, but I'll hold it to obscure the number. I'm not signing anything, copying anything or providing anything to a seller. If you're that nervous about it, I don't want to deal with you.

Likewise, I don't want anything from the seller. A quick look at their license plate is all the assurance I need that the seller is from my state.

I've had a seller insist on showing me his CCW, but I really didn't care.

Most of my FTF deals are with friends. I've never sold a gun FTF to someone I didn't know.

I have walked away from a sale due to the seller wanting my life history, blood, urine, hair and cheek cell samples. Fuck that.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top