Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/11/2011 5:31:11 PM EDT
Does anyone here ride bicycles? I know nothing about them.

I'm looking to get my first bicycle, for use on paved and unpaved trails around local parks.
I figured a hybrid bike would fit the bill, but what brands are decent?

Would like to spend around $300, so not looking for great.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 6:06:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Just go to a shop and see your opitions in person. Plus you can get fit and that might help you decide.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 6:09:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Yep....Go to a shop and explain what you are looking for.....If they don't make you comfortable, or try to up-sell to something you don't want, eject and find another shop or another salesman in the same shop.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 6:10:55 PM EDT
[#3]
What everyone else has said plus...get a Trek. Great bikes, reasonably priced.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 6:19:15 PM EDT
[#4]
If you're going to be on unpaved trails, you don't want a hybrid.  Hybrids have road tires.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 6:19:15 PM EDT
[#5]
If you have different bike shops in your area visit all of them before buying. Talk to the the employees there and explain what you're looking for.

At each shop the employees are going to be dicks and treat you like an asshole or an idiot. Pick the shop where the employees are less dicks than the others.

Once you've decided which shop hates you the least, buy your favorite $300 hybrid/mountain bike from them. In this price range they're all going to be the same quality when purchased from a bike shop.

Brands to look for (there are others, these are just the first few that came to mind):
Raleigh
Marin
Giant
Specialized
Trek
Fuji
K2
Jamis
Kona
Cervelo

Now, people on this forum are going to tell you to just buy a Wal-Mart bike. This is bad advice. It may work fine for them but the majority of first time users are better served by a decent entry-level bike from a good shop.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 6:21:59 PM EDT
[#6]

Forget about a big name frame. I own several Treks and I am telling you this so that you can get the most bang for you buck.

Put your money into the bike that can give you the nicest components (shifters, derailleurs, cranks, bottom bracket, brakes, wheels, etc)

Nicer components will make for a much more enjoyable experience than a fancy frame.

Make sure you get a frame that fits.

Make sure you get a bike that fits what you see yourself doing on your bike. Do not get a road bike or a mountain bike if you aren't going to do a lot of miles on the road or ride lots of single track trails.

If what you want to do is cruise around your neighborhood, then get a townie style bike.

Trust me, bicycles are a HUGE part of my life.

I have at least 5 grand in just my Mt. bike and I am hear tell you that 300 bucks can get you a very nice beginers ride.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 6:23:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Do not buy a hybrid bike, buy a dedicated mountain bike...like an entry level Trek or Giant.  Trek/Gary Fisher has a lifetime warranty on their frames against cracks or other failures.

A dedicated mountain bike can be ridden anywhere...roads...greenways....trails....gravel roads etc.  Hybrids should not be ridden on any surface other than pavement or level gravel roads.......
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 6:26:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Specialized Stumpjumper is a decent bike that's close to your price range.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 6:27:08 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Forget about a big name frame. I own several Treks and I am telling you this so that you can get the most bang for you buck.

Put your money into the bike that can give you the nicest components (shifters, derailleurs, cranks, bottom bracket, brakes, wheels, etc)

Nicer components will make for a much more enjoyable experience than a fancy frame.

Make sure you get a bike that fits what you see yourself doing on your bike. Do not get a road bike or a mountain bike if you aren't going to do a lot of miles on the road or ride lots of single track trails.

If what you want to do is cruise around your neighborhood, then get a townie style bike.

I have at least 5 grand in just my Mt. bike and I am hear tell you that 300 bucks can get you a very nice beginers ride.

You like Trek's don't you? Is that what you're saying? I tried the Cannondale and it did'nt compare in ride with the Trek. I did a lot of online review shopping and came up with the 4 series Trek and it was on sale. I realize now that I made a great choice because of the ease of shifting, shocks and the ride. I want to get a dual sport or a sport Trek next...I am hooked! I love biking.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 6:27:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Unfortunately 300 dosnt get you very far if you want a real bike. Expect to pay atleast 400-450. Remember buy once cry once.

You need to make a decision if you really want to ride off road. A mountain bike sucks balls on road and a road bike is even worse off road. Hybrid and dual sport bikes IMHO just suck less everywhere.  

I really recommend a flat handle city commuter style road bike. They are not as fast as a normal road bike but they are much stronger and typically a bit cheaper.

Look at trek and giant bikes. They are my favorites.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 6:29:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Craigslist. I bought a wonderful Cannondale for $200, a Specialized for $150, with high end aluminum rims.
Be patient, be prepared to walk away from a deal and go meet new people.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 6:35:40 PM EDT
[#12]

Buy a USED bike that FITS well.  A hybrid is perfect for you.  99% of unpaved trails in a local park are not going to be anywhere near something a hybrid can't handle and on the paved stuff it will perform much better than a mountain bike.

Find a good local bike shop and see what they have available used.  Bikes in that price range tend to fall into two categories.  They don't get ridden much and they get forgotten in the corner or they get ridden a little bit and then traded in for a road bike or better hybrid.  The key to the shop is they will help you find something that fits.  In that price range the brand matters little.  

Link Posted: 8/11/2011 6:37:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:

You like Trek's don't you? Is that what you're saying? I tried the Cannondale and it did'nt compare in ride with the Trek. I did a lot of online review shopping and came up with the 4 series Trek and it was on sale. I realize now that I made a great choice because of the ease of shifting, shocks and the ride. I want to get a dual sport or a sport Trek next...I am hooked! I love biking.

Treks I have include a full carbon Fuel with full XTR, an old 2100 (thier first carbon road bike) a 6700 wsd for the wife , and a Trek racing road tandem. So yes I like them. But I used to work for a Trek dealer so I got killer deals.

What I am saying is that for 300 bucks forget about the name on the frame. Get the best components you can for your money. Naturally pick a frame that has a good fit. But don't worry about who makes it.

Also I highly recommend buying from a local bike shop that services what they sell.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 6:39:00 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a giant & my wife has a specialized... A little out of the $300 range though by about 2 grand or so a piece.  Not trying to sound snobbish but you will get what u pay for.  Trust me. Know what you want to do with it & get the best you can afford for the job u want to do with it. it should last your lifetime & u can always upgrade individual parts when you get free money
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 6:41:06 PM EDT
[#15]

Forgot to mention my first Trek. A '90 Singletrack 930 that I converted to a rigid singlespeed and still ride.

I'll also second that a good used hybrid is a good way to get a lot of bang for your buck.

Have fun and ride safe!!!

Link Posted: 8/11/2011 6:44:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Rode some really nice Trek's last month in Colorado, just road down a mountain, so it wasn't exerting.  But its something I want to do more of.

What is a hybrid?
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 6:59:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Hybrids tend to have mountain style frames but with more upright geometry, mountain (low) gearing, road size wheels (700cc), and tires somewhere closer to road than mountain.  There are variations between manufacturers.  I would look at entry level hardtail mountain bikes like the Kona Blast and equivalent models from Trek, Giant, Cannondale, Felt, and Specialized.  There are other good brands too.  Don't buy one of those squishy gel seats.

Here are some entry level mountain bikes in your price range:
Specialized Hardrock Disc

Giant Boulder

Trek 3700 Disc
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 7:07:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Just got my 57 year old wife her 1st bike. 1963 Murray w/ coaster brake. Total outlay was $42.00 for new whitewall tires & tubes. She was tickled to death.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 8:36:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
What everyone else has said plus...get a Trek. Great bikes, reasonably priced.

This. Look at their hybrids. Trek is as much for the support as the product. I bought a montare, it was a grand.

But it has hydraulic disc brakes and is super fast.

They have other bikes in the same hybrid line that are less than half that price but have high end components.

A good bike is an investment. Brakes are very important to me. A trek can be resold. Walmart specials are disposable.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top