Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/11/2011 2:56:18 PM EDT
Cool story.

http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110808/NEWS/108080320

By Paul Fattig
Mail Tribune
A historic Colt .45-caliber, semi-automatic pistol stolen more than 30 years ago from a Medal of Honor winner in South Carolina has been returned to its rightful owner.

The gun and owner were reunited after a history buff in Medford, who bought the old handgun in an online auction last month, tracked down the retired Marine whose name is engraved on it.

"I knew if I found him and it was his gun, I couldn't keep it," said George Berry, 71, who knew little about the history of the gun when he purchased it from an auction house in Pennsylvania.

The story begins when Berry, a retired Navy warrant officer who also served in the Marine Corps, decided this summer to fulfill a lifelong dream of owning one of the historic handguns.

Edited.  #10 -G
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 3:00:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Excellent story!
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 3:01:03 PM EDT
[#2]
NO 1911 or 1911A1 was stamped USMC by the Military. Navy yes, USMC, no.

Cool story though.

It does show people how much one could bond [if that can be true of wood and steel and human flesh] with what one carried in times of battle. It's one reason US Property firearms are sought after so much. I have no problem with saying I do love "Old Slabsides."
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 3:05:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Great story.   Ever man mentioned was an amazing person.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 3:11:48 PM EDT
[#4]
VERY nice!

Link Posted: 8/11/2011 3:12:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Cool story though.

It does show people how much one could bond [if that can be true of wood and steel and human flesh] with what one carried in times of battle. It's one reason US Property firearms are sought after so much. I have no problem with saying I do love "Old Slabsides."

It's too bad the practice of using one's personal sidearm rather than an issued one or keeping the service pistol after service is generally verboten now.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 3:13:32 PM EDT
[#6]

Medford man returns rare handgun to Medal of Honor winner

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKK
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 3:15:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Great story. Well done by the buyer, class act for sure.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 3:17:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cool story though.

It's too bad the practice of using one's personal sidearm rather than an issued one or keeping the service pistol after service is generally verboten now.

I do agree, I sometimes wonder where the one's I own were at, if they comforted the Military Member when it was pitch black at night and he was huddled in a foxhole listening for a rustle or scuff of a boot nearby while he tried to catch some sleep.

There is a reason so many of them found some way to make it home with the GI that served. It was a little bit of security "just in case" everything went to hell.

Even though mine was a bastard mismatch of parts [by the 80s, most were] it always went bang even though it rattled like a pissed off rattlesnake when you shook it. I would have paid good money to have the old beast still swinging in a holster. Alas, I must be satisfied with the one's I can dig up on occasion.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 3:20:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Wow very cool story indeed.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 3:22:57 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Great story. Well done by the buyer, class act for sure.

Very classy from both sides.

Link Posted: 8/11/2011 3:45:45 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Cool story though.

You think it might have been put there at the same time that his name was?

Link Posted: 8/11/2011 3:47:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Cool story though.

This is ARFCOM.  There's always a fucking expert to refute any story.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 3:50:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Cool story though.

Possibly, the story mentioned 2 USMC markings, one fainter then the other. It's possible they were done at two different times in the pistols life, just not at the factory as manufactured. "USMC" markings are always fraudulent if they are presented as "factory" on a USGI 1911 or 1911A1. Since USMC marked US Mil Items are always scarcer then the other services, [esp Army] they command a premium, hence the attempts at fraud.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 4:00:34 PM EDT
[#14]
The last 4 digits of the serial number on my issued Colt M-4 were 1911. I always thought that was kinda cool.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 4:06:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Wow!  Giving the pistol back to it's rightful owner and in return getting a pistol owned by John Finn!  You couldn't put a price on either one of those. I got Mr Finn's autograph about a month before he passed away last year.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 4:06:41 PM EDT
[#16]
What a great story.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 4:21:05 PM EDT
[#17]
What a nice story about a bunch of class act people.

Puts a great big smile on my face.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 4:41:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Awesome story.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 4:55:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Too bad there aren't more people around that are willing to do things like that.  That, IMHO, is one of the biggest problems w/ our modern society, most people are concerned only w/ themselves and what they can get.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 5:20:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Great story!
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 5:21:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Amazing story!  Thanks for posting
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 5:23:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Complete Citation:

The President of the United States in the name of The Congress takes pleasure in presenting the MEDAL OF HONOR to

SECOND LIEUTENANT

JOHN JAMES MCGINTY

MARINE CORPS

for service as set forth in the following

CITATION:

For The President of the United States of America, in the name of Congress, takes pleasure in presenting the Medal of Honor to Second Lieutenant John James McGinty (MCSN: 0-103889), United States Marine Corps, for conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty on 18 July 1966, while serving with Company K, Third Battalion, Fourth Marines, THIRD Marine Division (Reinforced), Fleet Marine Force, in action against an armed enemy in Quang Tri Province, Republic of Vietnam. Second Lieutenant McGinty’s platoon, which was providing rear security to protect the withdrawal of the battalion from a position which had been under attack for three days, came under heavy small arms, automatic weapons and mortar fire from an estimated enemy regiment. With each successive human wave which assaulted his 32-man platoon during the four-hour battle, Second Lieutenant McGinty rallied his men to beat off the enemy. In one bitter assault, two of the squads became separated from the remainder of the platoon. With complete disregard for his safety, Second Lieutenant McGinty charged through intense automatic weapons and mortar fire to their position. Finding 20 men wounded and the medical corpsman killed, he quickly reloaded ammunition magazines and weapons for the wounded men and directed their fire upon the enemy. Although he was painfully wounded as he moved to care for the disabled men, he continued to shout encouragement to his troops and to direct their fire so effectively that the attacking hordes were beaten off. When the enemy tried to out-flank his position, he killed five of them at point-blank range with his pistol. When they again seemed on the verge of overrunning the small force, he skillfully adjusted artillery and air strikes within 50 yards of his position. This destructive firepower routed the enemy, who left an estimated 500 bodies on the battlefield. Second Lieutenant McGinty’s personal heroism, indomitable leadership, selfless devotion to duty, and bold fighting spirit inspired his men to resist the repeated attacks by a fanatical enemy, reflected great credit upon himself, and upheld the highest traditions of the Marine Corps and the United States Naval Service.

Link Posted: 8/11/2011 5:54:18 PM EDT
[#23]
To bad they don't make more like those two men.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 7:43:18 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Oh they make them. They just aren't honored as they should be.

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 4:40:21 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Too bad there aren't more people around that are willing to do things like that.  That, IMHO, is one of the biggest problems w/ our modern society, most people are concerned only w/ themselves and what they can get.

Nailed it.

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 4:54:50 AM EDT
[#26]
Reading that citation:   holy shit, he has big clanking brass balls.

/hand salute, Captain.

Great story about the pistol, too.

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 4:56:57 AM EDT
[#27]
"Concern yourself with what is right and you'll never second-guess that decision," he concluded.

Amen to that.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 5:00:34 AM EDT
[#28]

"Concern yourself with what is right and you'll never second-guess that decision,"

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 5:17:39 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
"Concern yourself with what is right and you'll never second-guess that decision," he concluded.

Amen to that.

Good quote, good story, good show.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 5:18:30 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh they make them. They just aren't honored as they should be.  

Agree with this.  I know a few myself who should have been up for medals, at least higher than what they got.  

Awesome story though.  Thanks for posting.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 5:36:40 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 5:42:19 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Now they need to track down that Auction House, and find the name of the person who sold the 1911 to them.

Run him down with a great many questions about WHERE he bought it, FROM WHOM, and once they track down the imbicile that Refinished and Aftermarket-Fucked such a beautiful piece of history they should smack the shit out of him before continuing their investigation to find who the fuck STOLE the weapon, and once they find the right man, they should hang that S.O.B. from the nearest tree.

Just IMHO.  

Thats what I'm thinking also but how did the Marine get to keep his pistol in the first place?  Pursuing this deeper with the auction house could possible ramifications for the Marine maybe.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 5:46:33 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Now they need to track down that Auction House, and find the name of the person who sold the 1911 to them.

Run him down with a great many questions about WHERE he bought it, FROM WHOM, and once they track down the imbicile that Refinished and Aftermarket-Fucked such a beautiful piece of history they should smack the shit out of him before continuing their investigation to find who the fuck STOLE the weapon, and once they find the right man, they should hang that S.O.B. from the nearest tree.

Just IMHO.

Thats what I'm thinking also but how did the Marine get to keep his pistol in the first place? Pursuing this deeper with the auction house could possible ramifications for the Marine maybe.

Reired Marine Officer that has been awarded the MoH? Yeah I'm thinking that would fall into the great abyss of who gives a flying fuck. Especially when the sidearm is probably a retirement presentation or something.

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 5:50:33 AM EDT
[#34]
Agree about the thieving bastard, but it's entirely possible Lt McGinty treated his faithful companion to the re-finish himself.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 5:51:05 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 5:51:31 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 5:56:07 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Thats all you got outta that story?

Your in Qatar, go correct someone for wearing their socks wrong.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 5:56:48 AM EDT
[#38]
Neat story!
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 6:23:15 AM EDT
[#39]
am I the only one who read this story with dusty eyes and a chill?
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 6:25:04 AM EDT
[#40]
Good story.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 6:26:57 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Just IMHO.

I wish to subscribe to your newsletter and provide the rope for said hanging.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 8:39:26 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Just IMHO.

Thats what I'm thinking also but how did the Marine get to keep his pistol in the first place? Pursuing this deeper with the auction house could possible ramifications for the Marine maybe.

Reired Marine Officer that has been awarded the MoH? Yeah I'm thinking that would fall into the great abyss of who gives a flying fuck. Especially when the sidearm is probably a retirement presentation or something.

I realize and know everything you said but if it wasn't a retirement presentation you never know what pricks there are out there to push an issue.  He should have been able to take an M14 home also if you ask me.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 8:49:58 AM EDT
[#43]
Great story,     Thanks for the post OP
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 9:16:47 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just IMHO.

I realize and know everything you said but if it wasn't a retirement presentation you never know what pricks there are out there to push an issue.  He should have been able to take an M14 home also if you ask me.

Did you know that, in WWII , Marines qualifying as an expert were given an extra $5 a month? They were also allowed to purchase their service rifle and/or pistol, and that extra 5 bucks was intended to be spent on that.

It wan't specific to the Marines, either.  James Earl ("CNN", "Luke, I am your father", "Simba!")  Jones' autobiography mentions that he purchased and brought home his issue 1911 and M-1 carbine when he got out out of the Army, in the very early 60's.    

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 9:53:07 AM EDT
[#45]
Cool story.

What sucks is that we'll never see US Prop marked firearms from any other period, as the US seeks to destroy all modern arms rather than sell them on the market. We'll never see a US marked M9 carried by a soldier from Iraq or AFG 100 years from now.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 10:12:49 AM EDT
[#46]
that was a nice story.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 10:17:56 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just IMHO.

He got it the same way my grandfather "acquired" his issue Model of 1911 in 1919.  Or my dad "acquired" his issue M1911A1 in 1946.

My grandfather never had to account for his later (he demobilized and when he was commissioned in 1942 he didn't bring it up).  My dad paid the regimental S4 of the 9th Infantry Regiment $45 for his in 1947.

After WWII the Army (and probably the other services) had a procedure to deal with "acquired" weapons (pistols, rifles and carbines, but not fully automatics).  $38 for a .38 revolver.  $45 for a M1911A1.  $30 for an M1903 or M1 or M1 carbine.

In Vietnam it probably got "lost" and was so reported.  May the Corps looked the way.

Nowadays?  They'd hang you.  With your own intestines.  You could rape Obama on the National Mall a high noon covered by every major network in 1080i HD and the consequences wouldn't be as bad.

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 10:19:09 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats all you got outta that story?

Your in Qatar, go correct someone for wearing their socks wrong.

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 10:21:59 AM EDT
[#49]
Awesome, thanks for posting.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 10:24:10 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Just IMHO.

He got it the same way my grandfather "acquired" his issue Model of 1911 in 1919.  Or my dad "acquired" his issue M1911A1 in 1946.

My grandfather never had to account for his later (he demobilized and when he was commissioned in 1942 he didn't bring it up).  My dad paid the regimental S4 of the 9th Infantry Regiment $45 for his in 1947.

After WWII the Army (and probably the other services) had a procedure to deal with "acquired" weapons (pistols, rifles and carbines, but not fully automatics).  $38 for a .38 revolver.  $45 for a M1911A1.  $30 for an M1903 or M1 or M1 carbine.

In Vietnam it probably got "lost" and was so reported.  May the Corps looked the way.

Nowadays?  They'd hang you.  With your own intestines.  You could rape Obama on the National Mall a high noon covered by every major network in 1080i HD and the consequences wouldn't be as bad.

Well put.    General officers have the option to buy their M-9's if they want, that's the only way.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top