Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/11/2011 7:26:33 AM EDT
I remember in college durin the PC 90's I saw this in a text book.  It stands for Before Common Era rather than Before Christ.  Even if you are not Christian why on earth would you satisfy the PC gods of the 90's by using this term?
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 7:31:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I remember in college durin the PC 90's I saw this in a text book.  It stands for Before Common Era rather than Before Christ.  Even if you are not Christian why on earth would you satisfy the PC gods of the 90's by using this term?

I don't use BCE because I don't recognize the authority of whomever thought they could impose it on the rest of the world.

In other words, I don't condone their exercise of authority.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 7:33:44 AM EDT
[#2]
I.B.C.E.

Link Posted: 8/11/2011 7:35:30 AM EDT
[#3]
I consider the whole thing a waste of time since even if you are saying "BCE" and "CE" you're still using the same historical reference point for the changeover. Because of that the whole thing is stupid and I'll keep using BC and AD.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 7:37:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Rarely see people using BCE.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 7:37:26 AM EDT
[#5]
If they keep running down that path, will we have to rename five of the seven days of the week?

I'm not Christian and I think BCE and CE are stupid.  It's B.C. and A.D. in this house.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 7:38:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

They're part of a distinct group of arfcommers who are restricted to being "unique" in order to establish self worth.

Like many liberals, they failed to learn to distinguish themselves by deed. It's obvious and pitiful.

Link Posted: 8/11/2011 7:41:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Why do I see arfcommers use B.C.E. instead of B.C.?

Because they're pretentious and watch too much History Channel?

ETA:  Hahahaha poster above me beat me to it!  Mine is the Reader's Digest version!
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 7:43:05 AM EDT
[#8]
My A/C unit must not be a Christian because it has it's manufacturer date in Julian.  If it wasn't so damn hot outside I'd burn it as a heretic.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 7:45:46 AM EDT
[#9]
It doesn't matter at all to me what people use, I'm not Christian but when Jesus (Whether or not he was what people say he was) came about he had a huge effect on the world

ETA: B.C. is shorter, might as well use that anyway
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 8:16:03 AM EDT
[#10]
I do it because of the Sandy Mangina Syndrome it causes.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 8:19:01 AM EDT
[#11]
I use am and pm, for ante metamorphoses and post metamorphoses, based on the writing of the poem by Ovid. To convert, simply add zero years to the bc or ad date.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 8:19:56 AM EDT
[#12]
The only time I have ever seen it used was my super Lib mega gay TA in my Origins of Buddhism class my freshman year in college.

He got called out on using it, glad I wasn't the only one with this face in the class.

He stopped after the second or third day and went back to BC due to heckling. Ha!
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 8:21:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

It's always been my experience that the only ones who use BCE are the ones with the manginas.

Link Posted: 8/11/2011 8:22:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I.B.C.E.

Hahahaha please tell me that's "In Before the Common Era"!

Link Posted: 8/11/2011 8:26:32 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Rarely see people using BCE.

Same here. Every time I am in the presence of someone who uses that term, I give them one of these:

Link Posted: 8/11/2011 8:26:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The only time I have ever seen it used was my super Lib mega gay TA in my Origins of Buddhism class my freshman year in college.

He got called out on using it, glad I wasn't the only one with this face in the class.

He stopped after the second or third day and went back to BC due to heckling. Ha!

BCE is like the metric system of dating things.  It is an international standard for people not wrapped up in proving how hardcore conservative they are on message boards.  It is hardly "PC" since, as noted, it is STILL based on the calendar established in the Christian world.  What it does do, though, is correct for the error that every major Christian church of which I am aware has recognized - that the year one was NOT the year Christ was born, after all.

It remains the calendar developed by the Romans, and which is the international standard today.

What is "PC" is expecting someone who used BCE and CE in their daily work or in stuff they read, to have to translate to "American" just to be accepted as cool enough for GD.  That is the very definition of "PC."
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 8:29:08 AM EDT
[#17]
In technical writings in archaeology BC and AD are used, plus two different abbreviations for conventional and calibrated radiocarbon years.

I haven't seen BCE used in a long time, and from what I recall it was mostly in semi-technical novels.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 8:30:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Its teh butthurt...
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 8:30:57 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's always been my experience that the only ones who use BCE are the ones with the manginas.

Only? No.

Frequent? Yeah.

Link Posted: 8/11/2011 8:31:06 AM EDT
[#20]
"BCE" is antiquated 1980-1990 bullshit that died 20 years ago...

Many of the self-appointed "intelligensia" try to make themselves sound more intellectual by using the term in conversation.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 8:35:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

They're part of a distinct group of arfcommers who are restricted to being "unique" in order to establish self worth.

Like many liberals, they failed to learn to distinguish themselves by deed. It's obvious and pitiful.

...or it could just be something used by people who don't see why the entire timeline of human civilization should be based on the life of one dude.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 8:35:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

BCE is like the metric system of dating things.  It is an international standard for people not wrapped up in proving how hardcore conservative they are on message boards.  It is hardly "PC" since, as noted, it is STILL based on the calendar established in the Christian world.  What it does do, though, is correct for the error that every major Christian church of which I am aware has recognized - that the year one was NOT the year Christ was born, after all.

It remains the calendar developed by the Romans, and which is the international standard today.

What is "PC" is expecting someone who used BCE and CE in their daily work or in stuff they read, to have to translate to "American" just to be accepted as cool enough for GD.  That is the very definition of "PC."

Guess I'll just be a "cool enough for GD-Christian-American-BC/AD-PC by definition" dude.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 8:36:47 AM EDT
[#23]
The BCE people that I know usually have an anti-christian, or just plain anti, ax to grind.

It get's old.

Link Posted: 8/11/2011 8:37:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

a.k.a. Trolling
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 8:40:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think you're 100% right.

Link Posted: 8/11/2011 8:45:42 AM EDT
[#26]
It's because we hate god, or so I'm told.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 8:49:58 AM EDT
[#27]
I don't believe in God.

I have too much real shit to worry about to spend an ounce of my energy on stuff like this, or "in God we trust" or "under God, indivisible," or whatever other nonsense is "oppressing" my agnosticism.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 8:52:34 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

amen brother
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 8:53:05 AM EDT
[#29]

...never seen this "BCE" stuff.

Link Posted: 8/11/2011 8:59:51 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This man speeks the truth,

and earns more and more of my respect as I see his perspective
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 9:03:29 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

a.k.a. Trolling

No, trolling would be starting a thread about it.

Link Posted: 8/11/2011 9:17:31 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

fact smackdown––thank you!

i use BCE in academic writing, but BC in everyday language.

Link Posted: 8/11/2011 9:21:57 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

fact smackdown––thank you!

i use BCE in academic writing, but BC in everyday language.

This.  Using a common dating system is a benefit, but not everyone in the world is a Christain.  In fact, MOST people aren't.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 9:22:40 AM EDT
[#35]
BCE is an acronym for "Before the Common Era". Since Gregorian calendars are so ingrained into society, AD still stands, though I have seen "CE" used on occasion.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 9:23:57 AM EDT
[#36]
Fuck that Common Era bullshit!

I measure time as Before Christ and Anno Domini (In the year of our Lord).
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 9:26:11 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 9:26:25 AM EDT
[#38]
i always git confused...

is B.C. "before cock" or "before cunt"?

oh thaaaaats right... it's both!
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 9:33:32 AM EDT
[#39]
How about B.M. or Before Me?
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 9:38:24 AM EDT
[#40]

The place England.

What? An aeroplane?

No, the year.  787.

What?  AD?

Of course AD!  

Why not BC then?

Because nothing happened in 787 BC...ok, in Sumeria right...or Rome, but...wait...we haven't got this sorted out yet...
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 9:40:07 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It also avoids the "What do you mean AD doesn't stand for After Death" problem that crops up sometimes.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 9:40:59 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Ah, so you know exactly what year Christ was born?  
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 9:43:18 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

so you're currently dating your checks 2015, right?

Link Posted: 8/11/2011 9:43:22 AM EDT
[#44]

Exactly. Fucking modern hippies...oh, wait

Link Posted: 8/11/2011 9:45:59 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
My A/C unit must not be a Christian because it has it's manufacturer date in Julian.  If it wasn't so damn hot outside I'd burn it as a heretic.  

Thanks for the best laugh I have had yet today

Link Posted: 8/11/2011 9:48:06 AM EDT
[#46]
Who gives a flying shit?

The unemployment rate is over 9% and the stock market is going up and down like a crackwhore sucking a dick for a cheeseburger.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 9:57:27 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Same here.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 10:16:55 AM EDT
[#48]
Same idiots that take a "Winter Holiday" on December 25th.

Notice how they don't actually give a shit enough about their beliefs to walk the walk?
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 10:19:29 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Same idiots that take a "Winter Holiday" on December 25th.

Notice how they don't actually give a shit enough about their beliefs to walk the walk?

What "beliefs" would that be?  The belief that not everybody is Christian?  The acknowledgment that the world does not revolve around them?
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 10:23:54 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Who are these people that use BCE and CE in their daily work?

Because in all my BA and MA history work we never, ever, used it. I have heard the term used seriously once, in 7th grade, at a Jewish center by a staff member talking about history and mostly explaining what the hell BCE/CE was. Then never again outside of "who the hell uses this?" discussions.

And it can be crazy leftist historians either because I had a prof who was a straight up communist and he never used it. I figure it must be people in the smaller crazier liberal arts majors but I don't think they're really considered people anyway.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top