Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/10/2011 7:43:09 PM EDT
have problems with brass hitting you in the face with an AR?  Just watched Sons of Guns, and they made it seem like an issue.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 7:48:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Left eye dominant.

Drill Sergeant, in basic showed me a little trick.  Delrin O-ring that fits snugly over extractor spring makes brass fly forward (away from face).

After 4-5 hundred rounds, replace o-ring.  Full of win.

You can get a dozen of these at Lowe's Depot or Home Desperate for a couple of dollars.  I keep a half dozen in my cleaning kit, just in case.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 7:50:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I wore the bruise on my cheek as a badge of honor. Got used to it (with the M16A1). Seemed to have solved the problem with the A2.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 7:50:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I have never had a problem.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 7:50:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 7:50:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Left eye dominant.

Drill Sergeant, in basic showed me a little trick.  Delrin O-ring that fits snugly over extractor spring makes brass fly forward (away from face).

You can get a dozen of these at Lowe's Depot or Home Desperate for a couple of dollars.  I keep a half dozen in my cleaning kit, just in case.

My eye dominance changes, I've been shooting rifles ~3 years now left handed.  Never once had brass hit me...

ETA:  The 3 years is just for shooting left handed with a rifle, I've been shooting for over 30 years.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 7:52:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Nope, left handed shooter, but right handed. I'm blind in my right eye so I'm a defacto southpaw. The worst problem I have is powder burns on my right arm from the ejection port
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 7:52:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Nope, even with the stock shortened.  The brass deflector does its job.

Exactly!  The guy had never even shot it left handed.  Instead of having him try left handed, they tried to make him shoot right handed.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 7:52:59 PM EDT
[#8]
The only time I ever had a problem was back when we still used the M16A1.  When we went to the A2 no more brass down my shirt.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 7:54:20 PM EDT
[#9]

Never had an issue, A1 or A2.

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 7:54:26 PM EDT
[#10]
On the A1 I would get an occaisional case hitting my left ear. Stripper clip liner, wedged under the dustcover at the rear of the Eject port cures it.

A2 and the post A1 designs=No problems at all thanks to the giant speedbump/brass deflector behind the ejection port.

It is a non problem for anyone that actually shoots.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 7:57:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Ambi or lefty controls are nice but I have never had the need for any of my rifles to eject to the left.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 7:59:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Just on my SP-1, comes close, though one winter I rapid fired a string of about ten.  The casings landed along my upturned collar and gave me a burn ear to chin.
My go to carbines are two lefty Stags I built, I never had a problem with my other ARs with deflectors.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 8:03:41 PM EDT
[#13]
I've never been hit by brass, but I have had bits of burned powder and shit all over my face, and the smell of burned power stays in my nose for a day or so after I shoot(not that there's anything wrong with that!).  Just wear your eyes and ears like everyone should, and it's not a problem.

On the other hand, I've had a 1911 spit brass straight back at me.  Tattooed a perfect circle dead-center in my forehead, cases bouncing off my glasses, etc.  Again, wear eyes and ears, no sweat.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 8:03:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Never a problem with brass.  Only problem I have is with the charging handle.  Wish someone would manufacture an ambi or lefty charging handle for $20 or less.  Fuck it, make an ambi/lefty LPK while you're at it.   If you can keep it under $70, shove the gritty FCG & A2 grip up your ass & we'll call it even
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 8:05:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Nope, left handed shooter, but right handed. I'm blind in my right eye so I'm a defacto southpaw. The worst problem I have is powder burns on my right arm from the ejection port

Same here, except I'm not blind in my right eye...just scar tissue on it.  I've never even got a powder burn, not one issue at all.  Pistols, I still use my right hand, but all rifles are left handed only if I want to hit anything.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 8:07:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Nope, even with the stock shortened.  The brass deflector does its job.

This. My 6920 doesn't have the audacity to throw brass in my face.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 8:08:38 PM EDT
[#17]
As a southpaw, I've never been struck by brass ejected from an AR.  Don't even think about the brass.  You're supposed to be concentrating on your sights.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 8:10:26 PM EDT
[#18]
I've never had a problem.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 8:12:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Not an issue with an upper that has the brass deflector.   The M16A1 will put brass down your collar when shooting from the prone, but that's not going to be an issue for you.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 8:14:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
As a southpaw, I've never been struck by brass ejected from an AR.  Don't even think about the brass.  You're supposed to be concentrating on your sights.

That's the point...to me, it looks like they ripped this guy off by trying to force him to shoot right handed.  Then, instead of getting him to try shooting left handed, they sold him an lefty upper.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 8:14:54 PM EDT
[#21]
My son shoots my A1 left handed, no issues.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 8:15:03 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Exactly.  I've had a few friends joke about the brass flying across my face being a distraction, and I have to ask "what brass?"  I don't even see it.

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 8:17:17 PM EDT
[#23]
I don't even have a brass deflector on my AR and I've never had an issue. Though I have been beaned by other firearms.(other eye)
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 8:20:09 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I wore the bruise on my cheek as a badge of honor. Got used to it (with the M16A1). Seemed to have solved the problem with the A2.

Only have shot the A2. No issues here and I'm left-handed and left eye dominant.

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 8:22:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 11:19:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Watching this episode now on the DVR. That shooter probably never had much experience with guns. I shoot right handed but I've been trying to train lefty a little (just in case) and haven't had a problem. That's what the brass deflector is for. Never heard any other leftys complain either. Pretty simple switch for the controls. Ambi mag release and a BAD Lever.

It IS pretty cool to know someone makes a left handed upper though. I'd never heard of or seen one before.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 11:32:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Left handed, left eye dominant here.. Never had brass in the face straight from the ejection port... had it bounce off the stall wall and land in my collar, but never direct to face
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 11:47:39 PM EDT
[#28]
No issues, even with A1's
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 11:57:06 PM EDT
[#29]
No, none.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 12:07:25 AM EDT
[#30]
With an old colt a1 I had a mess of problems.. That's why I started in re "assault weapon" world with AKs.. The brass deflector never fails now that it's there
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 12:07:37 AM EDT
[#31]
Never had a problem.

But then again I'm not a Tier 1 Louisiana tweaker with a family tree that doesn't branch so I may be doing it wrong...
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 12:16:50 AM EDT
[#32]
only gun that bit was a browning a-5 sweet 16. tends to release lots of hot gas and shells post haste to a lefty's face. always wear safety glasses
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 12:46:03 AM EDT
[#33]
Just assume the opposite of whatever sons of guns says and you will probably be correct.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 12:50:51 AM EDT
[#34]
I had problems with the M16A1. I always touched the tip of my nose to the charging handle so I always had the same sight picture (habit I picked up using a kisser on my bow) so think my head was a little more forward than most shooters. I had brass going into my collar and down my sleeves every time, but a shell lodged itself in my chinstrap and the burn was so bad I had a visible scar and discoloration for almost 3 years.

I finally got my hands on one of the clip-on brass deflectors. For some reason the medics kept the brass deflectors instead of the armorer, apparently it was one of the deep dark secrets of the Army because they'd never bring them out. Once I uncovered this little secret I asked the medical sergeant why they kept them locked up. His answer - they had to maintain a certain number of brass deflectors and were afraid if they let us use them they wouldn't get them all back.

He pulled out a box to show me and I quietly slipped one in my pocket....I still have it.

Once we got the M16A2's the built in brass deflector did the trick. The clip-on was a problem because it clipped onto the "carrying handle" (I hate that term) and prevented mounting any optics/starlight scopes.

I bought a left-handed Stag Arms AR-15 but it doesn't really make a difference for me as the built in brass deflector works. The only benefit for me would be for a rifle with full-auto capability. As a left handed shooter it's difficult to maintain control on full auto because counteracting the rise of the barrel is awkward.

Link Posted: 8/11/2011 12:56:20 AM EDT
[#35]
Not a lefty but Ive shot thousands of rounds left handed out of ARs and have never had a problem. My dad is left eye dominant and shoots rifles lefty and doesnt have an issiue. Step dads is a lefty as well and has no problems. Brass deflectors do their job and you do yours and it shouldnt ever be a problem for ya.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 1:03:24 AM EDT
[#36]
I'm left handed and have not had an issue using AR's including M16A1's. Their even better today with the brass deflectors so I can't imagine this as being a problem. Besides that, there are a number of offerings in AR's and other types for left handed shooters. Seems fairly moot to me. As a side note: Even with all the offerings, I don't own a single left handed firearm. I grew up using right handed and now (many decades later) I find left handed models awkward. Also, not that it matters on an AR but, what I would like to see, say on my bolts, is a right handed action on a left handed stock. I always get the flat side for a cheek rest.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 1:59:59 AM EDT
[#37]
M16A2 and newer have built in brass deflectors.

M16/M16A1 didn't have a built in brass deflector, and attachable one was used by the Army.

But, M16/M16A1, generally didn't eject straight back enough to cause face-brass confrontations.

They would chuck the brass down your shirt however.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 3:02:06 AM EDT
[#38]
I have fred more than ten thousand rounds through various ARs and never had a round hit me in the face. Even my retro A1ish gun w/o the deflector has never bit me. Just lucky I guess. Maybe full-auto is different
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 3:06:43 AM EDT
[#39]
Left eye dominant here as well. Never have had an issue with my SCAR... Seems the deflector does it's job fine.

Remember it's a show and they have to create a little drama.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 3:08:15 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Left eye dominant.

First post wins.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 3:20:16 AM EDT
[#41]
Only issue  I have is the pocket where my right elbow bends always seems to have brass trying to nest in it, burning my arm if I'm not wearing long sleeves.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 7:22:03 AM EDT
[#42]
I shoot left-handed and have been shooting ARs since I bought my first one around 1974. I have caught a spent casing down the shirt once or twice, nothing else.

However, now that I have picked up a Stag lefty AR, I do notice the lack of hot gasses across my face. I would imagine that if anything bad were to happen, that those hot gasses would carry whatever debris was making its way out of the ejection port and toward my face. I am ugly enough as it is and do not need anything like that, so I will stick with my Stag.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top