Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/10/2011 6:19:17 PM EDT
My laptop has been misbehaving for the last couple of weeks.  Slows down,  freezes up occasionally.  I've defragged,  run the anti-spyware and virus scans to no avail.  
My question is:  Would one of those registry clean-up programs help?  Don't want to waste money if it won't help.

I've had a Mac for the last several years and just don't keep up with what's the best thing for windows machines these days.  Never had many major issues in the past.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:19:58 PM EDT
[#1]

Vurms.

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:20:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
My laptop has been misbehaving for the last couple of weeks.  Slows down,  freezes up occasionally.  I've defragged,  run the anti-spyware and virus scans to no avail.  
My question is:  Would one of those registry clean-up programs help?  Don't want to waste money if it won't help.

I've had a Mac for the last several years and just don't keep up with what's the best thing for windows machines these days.  Never had many major issues in the past.

Computers can be like engines - they can get gunked up if you let shit get in there, but (windows specifically) sometimes it just never gets perfectly clean.  

Back your important stuff up to an external device, make note of software you have installed that you need (possibly download any installers) and make note of product keys.

then... NUKE AND PAVE.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:24:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Try running Malwarebyte's anti-malware.  Its a free program you can download and it will search and eliminate malware.

You should also run CCleaner.  It is another program you can get for free that will eliminate unnecessary files, clean registry errors, clear DNS, etc.

Just google search both of those names and you will find them right away.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:34:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Try running Malwarebyte's anti-malware.  Its a free program you can download and it will search and eliminate malware.

You should also run CCleaner.  It is another program you can get for free that will eliminate unnecessary files, clean registry errors, clear DNS, etc.

+1
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:38:46 PM EDT
[#5]
You can try Ccleaner for a registry cleaner. But IMHO you make much of a difference until you make a modification to your startup config via msconfig, and modify what services you have set to automatic startup. Programs that run in the background kill performance quickly.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 7:03:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You can try Ccleaner for a registry cleaner. But IMHO you make much of a difference until you make a modification to your startup config via msconfig, and modify what services you have set to automatic startup. Programs that run in the background kill performance quickly.

Yeah..what he said....
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 7:05:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

Nuther +1 and they're both easy to use.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top