Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/10/2011 12:23:40 PM EDT
All I can say is it sucks ass. It took two days to get an AC guy here to fix it, and the only reason they came that fast is because I have used them for 6 years for all of my AC and Appliance repair. The word on the street is most AC repair places are a week back-logged on repairs.

It was 106F here the last two days. After 11 years in Austin, I guess I am lucky that this is the first time I lost my AC in the summer time. I knew it was coming one day.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 12:24:47 PM EDT
[#1]
yeah, twice. I just called ARS and they had me up in an hour, both times. Didn't even take long enough for the house to get warm.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 12:24:56 PM EDT
[#2]
That's why the Good Lord invented motels...
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 12:28:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Thats why you buy a window AC on sale in the off season, get it ready to go as far as install, then box it and set it aside for just that day. Even one closed off room is dang nice when it's 20F cooler then the rest of the house.

BTW, 78F here right now with a nice breeze and 65% humidity.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 12:30:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes, but I have several window units I keep handy for hurricane season to run off the generator so it's not too bad. Just keep a few rooms cool and start the second it goes out.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 12:32:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Happened to me this year. Pulled the window unit out of the workshop until the central unit was fixed.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 12:34:38 PM EDT
[#6]
always good to have a 2 unit house - you can always sleep in the other half.  In my home, I lost one last year, the other this year.  That said - on vacation this summer I lost the one on the RV - that was one HOT night.  We paid dearly for an emergency repair.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 12:34:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 12:35:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Good time to have an A/C Repair Business.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 12:35:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Thats why you buy a window AC on sale in the off season, get it ready to go as far as install, then box it and set it aside for just that day. Even one closed off room is dang nice when it's 20F cooler then the rest of the house.

This. I have a windows unit i've had to use twice. Main AC goes out, I pull the windows unit out of the garage and hook it up. At least one cold room in the house.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 12:35:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Mine went out sometime Friday night.

Fortunately, I work for an HVAC wholesaler, and we are open on Saturdays.

Back up that morning, and the wife was very happy.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 12:35:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
yeah, twice. I just called ARS and they had me up in an hour, both times. Didn't even take long enough for the house to get warm.

We use those guys too. We finally had to replace our 13 year old AC unit two years ago when it died mid-summer. Those guys busted hump like I've rarely seen. They tore the old one out of the attic, rebuilt ducting to fit the new one, hauled a new one into the attic, did all the outside work, and then figured out how to hook up a new 2 wire thermostat they had never installed before and they did it in a day.

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 12:38:36 PM EDT
[#12]
hell, that's the only time mine has ever gone out

and always on a weekend...

a 5000BTU window unit keeps my bedroom ice cold while the rest of the house hovers around oven temps
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 12:38:58 PM EDT
[#13]
My A/C unit was out in my house for about 21 days last July and it was absolutely awful. They were ordering the wrong parts, dragging their feet, waiting to schedule the repair until they got all the parts in, etc. Sleeping in a hot house is about impossible for me, not a good month.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 12:40:21 PM EDT
[#14]
ours died the night before Independence Day... so it took about 3 days to get halp.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 12:40:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 12:40:43 PM EDT
[#16]
That's the ONLY time it will fail.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 12:42:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Nope.  My best friend is an A/C guy, so if it ever does go down, I am not that worried.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 12:48:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 12:54:38 PM EDT
[#19]
I stopped using mine because I couldn't justify the expense.  It only takes about a week or two but you can get used to it.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 12:58:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
All I can say is it sucks ass. It took two days to get an AC guy here to fix it, and the only reason they came that fast is because I have used them for 6 years for all of my AC and Appliance repair. The word on the street is most AC repair places are a week back-logged on repairs.

It was 106F here the last two days. After 11 years in Austin, I guess I am lucky that this is the first time I lost my AC in the summer time. I knew it was coming one day.

That does suck.

I could have my guy at my house in a couple of hours no matter how busy he might be.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 12:58:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I stopped using mine because I couldn't justify the expense.  It only takes about a week or two but you can get used to it.

Do you work in an air conditioned environment? Seems like if you went back and forth from hot to cool it wouldn't work.

I've often thought they should move HS/College football teams (at least in the South / West) into squad tents a month before practice starts.

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 12:58:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Try burning out a compressor on a 240ft boat with (2) 2800 BHP engines running full ahead in the GoM in August.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 12:59:13 PM EDT
[#23]
yes....small tub large enough for both feet filled with cold water.....will help cool you down.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 12:59:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Fuck ARS.  They ripped me off the one time I used them.  And it was for the AC failing when it was around 100F a few years ago.

I've used them a half dozen times in the 8 years I've owned my house for different things.

I would not only say they have treated me fairly but have bent over backwards TWICE to provide customer service I felt was "above and beyond."

I guess we all have different experiences. I think you're the first person I've ever heard complain about them.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 1:01:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Spare window unit.  $187 for 8000 BTUs at SAMs Club.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 1:01:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Yes but I keep a couple of window units around just for that.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 1:01:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

It is closer to 108*F here but at least the humidity is only 30-40%!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 1:01:54 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Yes, but I have several window units I keep handy for hurricane season to run off the generator so it's not too bad. Just keep a few rooms cool and start the second it goes out.

Me too.  I can run them off generators or if I have power just go into my garage with finished loft with brrrr cold a/c system.

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 1:02:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Here in Florida we put them in the very same day if not the next.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 1:03:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
My A/C unit was out in my house for about 21 days last July and it was absolutely awful. They were ordering the wrong parts, dragging their feet, waiting to schedule the repair until they got all the parts in, etc. Sleeping in a hot house is about impossible for me, not a good month.

I hear horror stories like this all the time and my professional advice would be to find a better company to deal with.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 1:05:10 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Yes, both outside units failed with in a month of each other at 6 years old.I called the AC repair guys and it cost me $114.00 the 1st time for the 3.5 ton unit

It was $98.00 for the call out and $16.00 for the part (Capacitor)

The 2 ton unit failed about a month later with the same exact symptoms.

I called the parts supply house and picked up the capacitor myself and installed it myself and bang, fixed!

I watched the guy do the first one so the next one was easy.  

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 1:06:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hear horror stories like this all the time and my professional advice would be to find a better company to deal with.

BigDozer66

Home warranty, Fuck American Home Shield, and a busy A/C company that we had to use. It was just the perfect storm of suck.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 1:07:07 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

When we built this place 6 years ago I had the upstairs have it's own heating system and A/C

When one failed we are still cool or warm

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 1:08:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, both outside units failed with in a month of each other at 6 years old.I called the AC repair guys and it cost me $114.00 the 1st time for the 3.5 ton unit
It was $98.00 for the call out and $16.00 for the part (Capacitor)
The 2 ton unit failed about a month later with the same exact symptoms.
I called the parts supply house and picked up the capacitor myself and installed it myself and bang, fixed!
I watched the guy do the first one so the next one was easy.  

I think that is what failed on mine. It was a canister looking electrical device (about half the size of a soda can) with a few wires connecting to the top.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 1:09:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
ours died the night before Independence Day... so it took about 3 days to get halp.

Ours did almost the exact same thing a few years back on 4th of July weekend. Luckily the supply house was open on Monday and I bought the fan motor and replaced it myself for less than $100.

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 1:15:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

ARFCOM 2 = 1  

You didn't already have a back up A/C ready?  

Seriously I know where you are coming from.  Just be glad it wasn't a home warranty claim.  We had our unit go out in Austin and it took First FUCKING American BASTARDs Home Warranty a whole 10 days to replace it. They would only order the unit from the maker, (instead of getting one of the hundreds sitting locally here on the shelves of the A/C wearhouses)  

10 FnCKING days of cooking in 100 degree plus weather, just so the bastard warranty company could save about $50....

I have been in that mess before and I sure feel for you.

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 1:18:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 1:20:35 PM EDT
[#38]
My advice is to have window units as backups. One or two just to cool certain rooms when your whole house fails in times like this.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 1:22:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you work in an air conditioned environment? Seems like if you went back and forth from hot to cool it wouldn't work.

I've often thought they should move HS/College football teams (at least in the South / West) into squad tents a month before practice starts.

Yeah I did. I also had a whole house fan at the time so the air was moving but it was hot.  I won't lie though I preffer an air conditioned house but I just refused to pay $300+ a month to keep it that way.

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 1:22:40 PM EDT
[#40]
2 years ago we spent 2 weeks without A/C in the peak of summer with every day over 100 degrees. We got a lot of use out of the pool for those 2 weeks. Just jumping in every now and then so we got the evaporative effect as we dried off made a big difference.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 1:23:36 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

BigDozer66

Home warranty, Fuck American Home Shield, and a busy A/C company that we had to use. It was just the perfect storm of suck.

I could point out the problem(s) here but I have a feeling you already know.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 1:32:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Mine went out this summer and had a $975 warranty bill. WTF the system is under 4 yrs old. Bitched to the right people ar Carrier and I'm getting a check for $975. Luckily I have a 3 system house so all I had to do for a couple of days was sleep in the guest room.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 1:35:00 PM EDT
[#43]
I lost mine at 7pm on July 3rd a couple of years back.

My guy actually came out and worked on the 4th.

The humidity is what really kills us here in Miami.

Chris
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 1:36:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Yep and it took our apartment complex 2 months to fix it.  2 months of constant bitching.

90+ in the house is no fucking fun.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 1:38:29 PM EDT
[#45]
I don't know if it was 100*, but it was in the mid-90s, and humid.

It sucked royally.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 1:38:35 PM EDT
[#46]
I could point out the problem(s) here but I have a feeling you already know.

BigDozer66

Hindsight, it's how we get better
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 1:40:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Occam's Razor says that it only fails while you're using it...the hot days.

What I want to know is, why does the A/C fail only when you have guests at your place?  
CJ

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 1:47:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Yup.

Fortunately, it turned out to be a clogged filter, and so was back in operation as soon as it thawed out
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 1:51:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Fuck ARS.  They ripped me off the one time I used them.  And it was for the AC failing when it was around 100F a few years ago.

+1

ARS sucks.  Lied, try to sell me an entire unit when all I need was a relay.  Fuck them.  Called another company and got it fixed for $153.

ARS also missed their service appointment by 4 hours.  That "On-time or you get $50 guarantee?"  It's a $50 voucher for your next ARS service call.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 1:59:22 PM EDT
[#50]
LG window AC. One year old compressor making noise and stops working.

Compressor leaks. No pressure and shuts off.

Toild Friday that LG is sending a brand new one..

They stand behind their product..
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top