Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/10/2011 11:57:16 AM EDT
My ex bought me a taurus 24/7 for xmas last year...since then we have had a really bad breakup and to the point I might file harrassment charges on her.  Serial number is in her name but the gun is mine and in my possession.  What is your advice to protect myself from her reporting it stolen or for me getting in any kind of trouble?
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 11:58:19 AM EDT
[#1]
A gift is a gift is a gift.

However, being that it's a Taurus, you might be better off just giving it back to her on principal...
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 11:58:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Unless you have a bill of sale or some way to establish it was a gift, you mght be boned,

My guess is she'll say it was hers and you took posession of it when you split.

But it's a taurus, let her have it.
ETA: CRAP, BEAT BY ZERO SECONDS!
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 12:00:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 12:03:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd send it back (minus the firing pin...)

First Rule of Gun Safety - "Never give your gun to an angry or pissed off woman, especially if you are the guy who made her angry or pissed off"

Duhhhh!!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 12:03:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 12:03:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Unless you have a bill of sale or some way to establish it was a gift, you mght be boned,

My guess is she'll say it was hers and you took posession of it when you split.

But it's a taurus, let her have it.
ETA: CRAP, BEAT BY ZERO SECONDS!

There's no need for a bill of sale. Unless she can prove that the item was loaned to him or taken without permission it is presumed to be a gift.

ETA: The fact that it was given to him on Christmas nearly a year ago should do just fine.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 12:04:23 PM EDT
[#7]
"serial number is in her name"

Does not compute.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 12:04:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Pissed off woman you're about to file harassment charges against... Does this seem like the right time to give her a gun?

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 12:05:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
My ex bought me a taurus 24/7 for xmas last year...since then we have had a really bad breakup and to the point I might file harrassment charges on her.  Serial number is in her name but the gun is mine and in my possession.  What is your advice to protect myself from her reporting it stolen or for me getting in any kind of trouble?

How is the "serial number in her name?"

Does Texas have gun registration? I didn't think it did.

It was given to you as a gift. It's your gun. End of story.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 12:06:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

First Rule of Gun Safety - "Never give your gun to an angry or pissed off woman, especially if you are the guy who made her angry or pissed off"

Duhhhh!!!!!!

This!! Whatever you do DON'T give it back to her still in firing condition.  It would be hell to be shot with your own gun!!!
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 12:07:31 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Duhhhh!!!!!!

This!! Whatever you do DON'T give it back to her still in firing condition. It would be hell to be shot with your own gun!!!

Agreed or just keep it

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 12:07:57 PM EDT
[#12]
you sold it at a gun show... right?
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 12:10:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Duhhhh!!!!!!

That actually sounds like good advice.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 12:11:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Pissed off woman you're about to file harassment charges against... Does this seem like the right time to give her a gun?

I'm sure she's busy, just run up to her real quick and hand it to her.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 12:12:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Too bad it's not a glock, you could send it to her and it would just blow up!
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 12:25:35 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

lame joke is old and lame
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 12:26:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:

lame joke is old and lame

sounds like someone doesn't have a sense of humor....or a glock owner
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 12:28:05 PM EDT
[#18]
it's a taurus give it back.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 12:29:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Duhhhh!!!!!!

This!! Whatever you do DON'T give it back to her still in firing condition.  It would be hell to be shot with your own gun!!!

While I want to agree with this... it's more than a little fucked up. What if she assumed it was still working and needed to use it to defend herself at some point? *Click*

I'd probably just keep it, and maybe call the Police and let them know that you have it if she does happen to call about it. Get that preliminary report in.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 12:32:10 PM EDT
[#20]
yep remove FP or disable it somehow and return it in locked box via 3rd party and mail her the key
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 12:32:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Some of the stuff yall worry about....

If she turns you in for stealing her gun then turn her in for stealing your panties.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 12:38:49 PM EDT
[#22]
sell it FTF to a friend (if TX allows FTF handgun sales)
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 12:41:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

How is the "serial number in her name?"

Does Texas have gun registration? I didn't think it did.

It was given to you as a gift. It's your gun. End of story.

that was an assumption.... I assumed when she bought it, the gun was put in her name.  If not? then no big deal.  Just wanted advice, and if the advice is it wont be traced back to her I'm all good and fuck her.  She couldnt shoot anyways.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 12:51:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Serial number, if traced, will only show who PURCHASED it.

There is no national or Texas gun "registration".

Well, not now anyway.

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 1:03:51 PM EDT
[#25]
I'll give you $50 for it.
And BS w/o photos....
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 1:05:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Put it on consignment at LGS, CHEAP.

When it sells, not your problem. Go out and put money down on something better.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 1:09:59 PM EDT
[#27]
It would seem giving a gun to a borderline psycho is a poor idea
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 1:11:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
it's a taurus give it back.

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 1:21:18 PM EDT
[#29]
give it back..what could possible go wrong...
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 1:21:54 PM EDT
[#30]
"drop gun"

Everyone needs at least one.

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 1:25:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
A gift is a gift is a gift.

However, being that it's a Taurus, you might be better off just giving it back to her on principal...

First Post Nails it!
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 1:37:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

This is exactly what I was thinking.  I think you will be fine.  It was a gift.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 1:55:47 PM EDT
[#33]
i would turn it in to the police and say you don't feel you should give it to the woman under the circumstances

when the cops melt it down, one less taurus in the world  
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 1:59:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Its in her name, give it back.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 2:00:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Duhhhh!!!!!!

That actually sounds like good advice.
yes it does.

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 2:01:38 PM EDT
[#36]
You could always sell the gun, get a receipt (written or otherwise) so there is no longer any issue.

Worst comes to worst, you have to split the proceeds.

Link Posted: 8/11/2011 1:10:33 PM EDT
[#37]
This is why I really don't understand why people buy their boyfriends and girlfriends guns. Pretty stupid in my book
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top