Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/10/2011 6:20:06 AM EDT
Staying in Midtown Manhattan.

I know the usual tourist stuff to do.  But anyone have Food Suggestions or other things to see.

M
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:21:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Make it back alive...?
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:22:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Turn around now.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:24:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Ippudo is awsome.

I was there 2 weeks ago it was hot and muggy so bring some shorts.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:25:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Don't go?
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:25:49 AM EDT
[#5]
I love it how people who have never been to Manhattan think it is dangerous and crime ridden. If you are in midtown check out Grand Central Station. Lots of good places to eat there from quality fast food to nice sit down restaurants.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:28:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I love it how people who have never been to Manhattan think it is dangerous and crime ridden. If you are in midtown check out Grand Central Station. Lots of good places to eat there from quality fast food to nice sit down restaurants.

yeah, but there are swarthy people there, so it's really uncomfortable for them.

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:29:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Cheesecake at Roxy and Junior's.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:30:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Go to McSorley's for beer.  Get about five beers at a time, they are kinda small but worth it.  They only serve two types, lights and darks.  

Edit:  to be clear, McSorley's has the title for NYC's oldest continually operating bar (1850s I believe).  The beer is decent but you go there for the location, not the beer.  

What kind of food do you like?  NYC is chock full of food choices.  I would start with having a sandwich at the famous Carnegie Deli and go from there.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:31:04 AM EDT
[#9]
NY HTF (Home town Forum) has a tacked thread re: your questions

I live about 65 miles east of midtown...and try to stay as far away as possible.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:32:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Original Ray's pizza!

ETA:  and Lombardi's!  Wasn't Lombardi's the original home of pizza?
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:32:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Just walk around, go to the financial district. It's pretty cool.

NYC is awesome.

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:33:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Who says we've never been? When I went everyone was rude, weather was shitty and worst of all... I was walking down a street when I came across a red prius. I looked inside and a bunch of hobos were having an orgy. Surprised, I asked a local cop what was going on. He told me the bums call it a "soup kitchen"...

You will never find a more wretched hive of scum in villainy...
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:34:26 AM EDT
[#13]
If you're doing the Statue of Libery/Ellis Island thing, get "reservations" and go early.

Lots of good places in Hell's Kitchen.  Great Greek place named Uncle Nick's.

Get the best pizza you've ever had in your life at Lombardi's between NoLita and Little Italy––plan on waiting 45 minutes + for a table.

Pastis is amazing (French style) and is hoping until 1:00AM on the weekends.  Even just going for desert is good.

If you like Indian, Mynt is great but a little pricey.

Try and get on get on a show.  I've been on Letterman and SNL––lots of fun and free.  Many shows will offer standby which isn't a guarantee.  Dress nicely for shows––they don't tell you this, but they screen people.

Buy Metro passes and see as much as you can––don't be afraid of the subway south of Harlem.  Walk around the Financial District and see St Paul's.  Visit Rock Center and go inside St Patrick's.  If you are going to the Met, plan half a day for this.  There is way too much to see––I could spend a weekend in there.

There is no point in doing both Top of the Rock and the Empire State Building.  Do one or the other.  Both will take much longer than you think.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:35:21 AM EDT
[#14]
The biergarten under the Standard Hotel is awesome and
Brooklyn Bowl is always a good time.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:37:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who says we've never been? When I went everyone was rude, weather was shitty and worst of all... I was walking down a street when I came across a red prius. I looked inside and a bunch of hobos were having an orgy. Surprised, I asked a local cop what was going on. He told me the bums call it at "soup kitchen"...

Are you Dirty Mike and the Boys?

Quoted:

Just a heads up, Junior's always ranks very high for health code violations.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:37:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Go to the Malcome Forbes museum.  Not as epic as the Met or the Frick but it's free and pretty nifty.  (It's not magazines.)

Go find a pickle store on the Lower East Side.  If you don't like pickles, this may be your chance to have your mind changed.

And for the cutest little bar in the city check out my username.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:37:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Don't go?

This.

I'm to the point that I won't visit a state or city that actively suppresses my Second Amendment rights.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:37:55 AM EDT
[#18]
If the weather is nice, one of the coolest things to do in NYC is the Circle Line. Especially in the late afternoon, early evening.

Heck, I live here, and I go every few years. I did it once with a bunch of friends on my birthday. We had a blast.

(They serve beer. )
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:38:24 AM EDT
[#19]
By the way, if you like fine whisk(e)ys, drop by Park Avenue Liquors in Midtown.  By "fine" I don't mean top shelf stuff at your local watering hole, or even that $130 bottle of Midleton Very Rare.  I mean five digit prices for collectible bottles (e.g. a $1,200 bottling of Knappogue Castle) and other very hard to find whiskeys.  

You don't have to go to buy, just look around because you will see lots of bottles that you won't find anywhere else in the United States.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:38:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who says we've never been? When I went everyone was rude, weather was shitty and worst of all... I was walking down a street when I came across a red prius. I looked inside and a bunch of hobos were having an orgy. Surprised, I asked a local cop what was going on. He told me the bums call it at "soup kitchen"...

Whatever. Sorry we can't all live in Mexico Texas.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:40:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Don't go?

This.
I'm to the point that I won't visit a state or city that actively suppresses my Second Amendment rights.

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:41:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whatever. Sorry we can't all live in Mexico Texas.

That you, Dirty Mike? You put a mouse in a condom... That's fucked up.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:41:53 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Make it back alive...?

I was in midtown area last weekend, stayed a night at the Roger.  I only had one evening to run around and check things out, but we walked all over the place and it seemed pretty safe to me.  We did get bugged by one nutty, stuttering eastern European dude, but that was probably only because I didn't ignore him to begin with.  He looked kind of normal until he opened his mouth.

There may be places in NY that I wouldn't want to go, but midtown seems pretty safe at any reasonable hour.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:42:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Thanks for the suggestions.. Im writing it all down.. Q

I wanna hit the Pubs, Deli's and Italian food.

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:44:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Don't go?

This.

I carried a .380 and had no problems.  Of course, that was pre 9/11.

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:45:47 AM EDT
[#26]
The Palm

Spark's Steak House

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:46:38 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
There may be places in NY that I wouldn't want to go, but midtown seems pretty safe at any reasonable hour.

One thing about NYC, it's hard to end up somewhere bad by accident, especially if you're in Manhattan.

It's not like, if you blow a subway stop or two, you end up in East New York.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:47:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Get Pizza at Grimaldi's in Brooklyn.

Take the subway to High St to get there.

Then you can walk over to the park on the river for a great view of the skyline and Brooklyn bridge.

Then walk back to Manhattan over the bridge to work off your pizza.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:53:07 AM EDT
[#29]
When you leave take it with you

NY State needs to get rid of NYC
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:54:49 AM EDT
[#30]
Guggenheim
Metropolitan Museum of Art
American Museum of Natural History
Grand Central Terminal
Empire State Building

Try Balthazar for breakfast.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 7:00:35 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Make it back alive...?

Pfft,it's as safe as your local mall...in fact,I'd say it's statistically even safer.

We usually just go into the city to people watch and shop and therefore most often just hit the Whole Foods overlooking Union Square for lunch or head over for Thai at Chelsea Market.

You've got to get some grub from a halal cart...if you can stomach eating food from a Moose-limb,it's fantastic grub cheap.

If you're going with your wife/SO: she can get her shop on at the Filenes/DSW next to said Whole Foods or she'll really want to go to Century 21 - not real estate - across from Ground Zero.

Hmm,go see the Intrepid,flip off the UN and have a bunch of fun. Don't listen to the naysayers: it's safe and if you need directions,people are no more rude than in any other city. You have to work to find a bad neighborhood and even then,it still ain't any worse than the local bad area of town anywhere in the US. I park near the projects up above Central Park all the time and have never had a problem. Stay south of 90somethingth street and you'll be fine but fuck,never had a problem walking around China Town,Harlem,Spanish Harlem...It ain't the NYC of Taxi Driver by a long shot.

ETA: you CAN carry OC in NY if you feel the need but it must be purchased in NY state. I just packing taped the reciept to my little NYC only can. I have never,ever felt anything close to the need to use in in countless hours of walking all over the place at all friggin hours. Contrary to popular opinion,there are just too many people EVERYWHERE for the cops to GAS what a normal tourist is doing. You're not gonna get shaken down and have your shit searched-regardless of where you are,there are 17,000 more sketchy looking dudes than you. With that said: the punishment for illegally carrying there is one you don't want. If they ass raped Tupac at Rikers...I know my virginal,beautiful white ass won't stand a chance. Also,their law on knives is fucked. Still,won't keep me from visiting a fun place.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 7:01:28 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Thanks for the suggestions.. Im writing it all down.. Q

I wanna hit the Pubs, Deli's and Italian food.

If you like Italian food check out Patsy's, www.patsys.com, 236 W. 56th Street. It's a historic place frequented my many celebrities over the years. The food is reasonable, excellent quality and the people are friendly.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 7:06:56 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Don't go?

This.

And? Nothing is different post 9/11.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 7:08:10 AM EDT
[#34]
Food - there is a place called BRGR - a burger joint with pastured beef from local farms.  Incredible.  Also rated best milk shake in NYC.  Reasonable prices too.  It was so good I didn't mind being in NYC.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 7:22:43 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 7:24:01 AM EDT
[#36]

ETA: you CAN carry OC in NY if you feel the need but it must be purchased in NY state. I just packing taped the reciept to my little NYC only can. .[/quote]

ummm...what??

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 7:24:36 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you Dirty Mike and the Boys?

Quoted:

Just a heads up, Junior's always ranks very high for health code violations.

Fuck.  No more Junior's cheescakes for the train ride home.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 7:25:10 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Don't go?

This.

And? Nothing is different post 9/11.

Careful hardcorps...

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 7:25:54 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

ETA: you CAN carry OC in NY if you feel the need but it must be purchased in NY state. I just packing taped the reciept to my little NYC only can. .

ummm...what??

[/quote]

OC spray,not open carry - should have been more clear perhaps.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 7:28:10 AM EDT
[#40]
NYC folks, is it just me or did the standard Sabrett's hot dog shrink in the last few years?  Was in Brooklyn last month and I thought I remember getting more dog for my two bucks.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 7:29:46 AM EDT
[#41]
Re: Safety.

I've lived and worked in Manhattan for years.

It ain't Mogadishu, but I don't buy into the "NYC is safe" crap.

I was working late one evening and was getting dinner with my boss when this happened about ten feet away from me.  I saw his brains dripping out on the sidewalk.

Dude Gets Whacked

9/11 was bad enough.  I stopped working in Manhattan after that.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 7:32:18 AM EDT
[#42]
Is this a SERE thread?
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 7:35:50 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't go?

This.

This.

And the random searches on a street corner by the local popo don't sit well with me, either.

"Why do you need to search me, occifer?"

"Just because you look suspicious"

WTF??....

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 7:36:13 AM EDT
[#44]
No trip to NYC is complete without seein a Broadway show.

Museum of Modern Art (MOMA) is great.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 7:44:52 AM EDT
[#45]
went there 3 times for a week for work paid classes...   Take tylonol with you..   usually by the 3rd day, I had a headache that lasted the rest of the week there.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 8:02:05 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

One thing about NYC, it's hard to end up somewhere bad by accident, especially if you're in Manhattan.

It's not like, if you blow a subway stop or two, you end up in East New York.

<Shudder>
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 8:08:10 AM EDT
[#47]
Prune... It's where the chefs go to eat when done with work (east village 54th & 1st).

Awesome bone marrow is Awesome
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 8:15:07 AM EDT
[#48]

Enjoy the omnipresent stench of a piss soaked grease trap.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 8:19:22 AM EDT
[#49]
I live in Manhattan...

1) DO NOT bring a gun into Manhattan (3 years in the slammer, no exceptions).
2) Bring lots of cash...the trendy thing now is for restaurants to only take cash. Your wallet is going to take a beating, EVERYTHING in NYC is expensive.
3) NYC has the best restaurants and selection of them in the country if not the world. Make sure you have a plan and do not settle for mediocrity...For a great restaurant experience without tourists try Fig and Olive http://www.figandolive.com/ in the meatpacking district, Socarrat in North Chelsea http://socarratpaellabar.com an amazing paella restaurant  and Il Cantinori http://www.ilcantinori.com for knock your socks off Italian like none other you've ever had.
4) Manhattan is mostly safe in the daytime, but don't wonder around at 3 in the morning or you might get some trouble from the "locals". Rule of thumb, the further south you go, the more dangerous in the wee small hours of the morning.

Have fun!
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 8:21:45 AM EDT
[#50]
53rd and 6th Halal cart

Great food cheap.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top