Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/10/2011 5:18:13 AM EDT
...at dinner.

What's the profession, you ask?

Hairdresser.

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 5:19:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Read the title and immediately though she was a hooker.  Needless to say I am very disappointed.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 5:20:15 AM EDT
[#2]
I wouldn't say recession-proof, if she's quick, reliable and willing to put in a lot of long hours on her feet, she'll never hurt for work. It is a predominantly cash business.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 5:20:59 AM EDT
[#3]
hooker or mortician are the only two recession proof professions i can think of.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 5:21:40 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Read the title and immediately though she was a hooker. Needless to say I am very disappointed.
Same

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 5:21:49 AM EDT
[#5]
True...  But if there's a job loss in my house, and it's electric or [other], the first thing to go is gonna be the $100 cut and color, followed by Netflix and my Xbox live membership.

Priorities, ya know.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 5:22:12 AM EDT
[#6]
I thought you were going to say politician.

those guys never lose their job it seems
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 5:23:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Maybe, but my barber said people choose to go longer between haircuts when times are tough so I wouldnt call it completely recession proof.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 5:23:56 AM EDT
[#8]
I shit you not. Local "Hairdressers" are now accepting EBT (Food Stamps) cards.

http://www.news4jax.com/video/28591403/index.html
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 5:24:53 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Read the title and immediately though she was a hooker. Needless to say I am very disappointed.

The correct nomenclature is "call girl"

They're only "hookers" after they're dead.

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 5:25:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Maybe, but my barber said people choose to go longer between haircuts when times are tough so I wouldnt call it completely recession proof.

Or they do like I do and start taking the #2 guard to themselves and spend 0 on hair.

I know the women can't do that, but to me it's like saying the Nail Salon is recession proof.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 5:27:51 AM EDT
[#11]
People will always need haircuts, and most can't do this for themselves.  Overall, I'd say it's relatively recession proof.  If however, most of your money is made from a few customers who come in every 2-3 weeks to get hair colored, you may suffer.  That's more vanity than necessity...but a simple cut...is pretty much needed by everyone.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 5:30:16 AM EDT
[#12]
1st post nails it!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 5:32:49 AM EDT
[#13]
She caters more to the vanity crowd.  Other than some little boys that are simply getting their hair done there because mommy's going for a high priced do.

It's not just a 'hair place', it's more of a real 'salon' if you get my meaning.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 5:34:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Definitely one of the latter things women give up when money is short.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 5:38:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
hooker or mortician are the only two recession proof professions i can think of.

Bootlegger.  Although illegal it probably makes more money when the economy turns to crap.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 5:40:30 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Make sure you top it off with a nonfat carmel mocha latte from Starbucks afterward.......

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 5:42:31 AM EDT
[#17]
My mom's a hairdresser. It's not as recession-proof as your friend's wife thinks it is.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 5:44:15 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

My mom's a hairdresser. It's not as recession-proof as your friend's wife thinks it is.

Does she take EBT cash?

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 5:44:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Shit, money get's tight enough we can always jerk off and dig our own graves.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 5:46:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
...at dinner.

Hairdresser.

Considering my wife's spending proclivities. I would say she is right.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 5:46:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Yep, same thing my barber says. Plus some people start to cut their hair at home, or spend less when they go to the hair stylist.

I think a hair dresser's wages are more likely to fall in a recession than the average job.

The only thing in their favor? People trying to get a good job may be willing to pay to get their hair done right.

I have heard suit sales are up because people need them for interviews.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 5:47:44 AM EDT
[#22]
I build caskets, we are busier than ever.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 5:48:37 AM EDT
[#23]
The only 3 industries that will do good no matter how bad things are?

Alcohol
Gambling
Sex
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 5:50:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 5:50:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Funny, I just made an appointment to get my hair cut.  The last time I had it done was two years ago.

Quoted:
I wonder if car repair is pretty recession proof.  During the good times, people are good about getting regular scheduled maintenance done, and during the bad times, people keep their old cars longer instead of buying new cars, necessitating larger repairs.

Our mechanic said he's insanely busy.  He's good and doesn't need to charge a lot to stay in business since he owns his facility.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 5:51:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Pics?
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 5:51:27 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Does she take EBT cash?

Cash, check or credit.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 5:52:04 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Funny, I just made an appointment to get my hair cut.  The last time I had it done did was two years ago.

For some reason I still find that funny.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 5:53:57 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I believe if you look closer they are actually accepting EBT Cash cards.  EBT Food Stamp cards are completely different and only usable for food while an EBT Cash card is basically a gift card handed out by the .gov to people so that they can buy their cigarettes.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 5:54:34 AM EDT
[#30]
I was guessing prostitute
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 5:57:27 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The only 3 industries that will do good no matter how bad things are?

Alcohol
Gambling
Sex

you can almost add guns to the list.  I worked in that business for a few years.  Times are good - gun guys buy toys. Times are bad - people want to protect themselves.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 5:57:30 AM EDT
[#32]
My wife cuts my hair now.  Saves us money.

She no longer gets her hair dyed.  Saves us money.

Now she only gets her hair cut once every six months instead of once a month.  Saves us money.
Reminds me of the idiot presenter at Le Cordon Bleu when my wife was considering going to culinary school.

"Even if the economy slows down, people will always have to eat!"
Yeah, but the ones who were going to Chez Pierre are now going to be going to Applebees, and the ones who were going to Applebees are now going to be cooking beans and rice at home.

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 5:58:52 AM EDT
[#33]
liquor stores and funeral homes are the only thing recession proof
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:00:11 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

I actually saw an article a little while back that funeral homes usually lose a notable amount of business in recessions.  Fewer people driving to work and people cutting down on driving to save gas means fewer traffic deaths.

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:03:52 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

And bartenders/booze sellers, and probably drug dealers too.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:05:00 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I actually saw an article a little while back that funeral homes usually lose a notable amount of business in recessions.  Fewer people driving to work and people cutting down on driving to save gas means fewer traffic deaths.

IDK,  seems to be a lot of people still dying,  I have noticed the obituary page in my local paper has not gotten any smaller

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:07:26 AM EDT
[#37]
pics
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:13:43 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

IDK,  seems to be a lot of people still dying,  I have noticed the obituary page in my local paper has not gotten any smaller

Funeral homes are loosing some income due to the increase in cremations. Most I know aren't hurting though, they are cutting costs elsewhere by buying Chinese caskets and not passing the savings onto the consumer.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:14:47 AM EDT
[#39]
I can see myself homeless, but still seeing my stylist. Eating is optional, getting my hair did is not.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:15:57 AM EDT
[#40]
I have read even during the Great Depression cosmetics and such were still booming industries.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:17:05 AM EDT
[#41]
If my wife and I lost our jobs and were making much less I'm pretty sure I'd just have her cut my hair, but my wife would still need a stylist. However, my wife doesn't seen her stylist as often as I do my barber for haircuts.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:17:37 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I can see myself homeless, but still seeing my stylist. Eating is optional, getting my hair did is not.

You can have section 8 housing and food stamps, why would you ever be homeless?
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:18:32 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
She caters more to the vanity crowd.  Other than some little boys that are simply getting their hair done there because mommy's going for a high priced do.

It's not just a 'hair place', it's more of a real 'salon' if you get my meaning.

So I can get a rub & tug?
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:20:32 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shit, money get's tight enough we can always jerk off and dig our own graves.

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:24:43 AM EDT
[#45]
I work in the trash/waste field, I believe its somewhat recession-proof. We are a nation of consumers and produce lots of trash/waste.

Bri
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:24:54 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Funeral homes are loosing some income due to the increase in cremations. Most I know aren't hurting though, they are cutting costs elsewhere by buying Chinese caskets and not passing the savings onto the consumer.

hmm,  maybe i need to go into the urn buisness
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:29:41 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
...at dinner.

Hairdresser.

Its possible.

I've heard anecdotes that beauticians were the only occupation to not see a signifigant loss during the Depression.

Apparently vanity has no income bounds.

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:34:16 AM EDT
[#48]
Now that I think about it, I do see a shitload of hair and weave places in most poor neighborhoods.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:34:45 AM EDT
[#49]

Problem solved.

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:44:41 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Or they do like I do and start taking the #2 guard to themselves and spend 0 on hair.

This is what I do...  Two of my friends still go to the same barber I used too and they say he been complaining about it slowing down a lot...  People are waiting a lot longer between cuts or doing it themselves...

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top