Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/3/2002 11:53:47 AM EDT
Okay, I finally have decided on what all I want to put in my new computer, except for the operating system and a cooler for my Athlon XP. I might do a little overclocking, bringing a xp 1900 or 2000 up to 2100 speed or a little beyond. Also I don't know what monitor to get, but I probably won't be ordering that today anyway...

Thanks in advance for your sage advice.
Link Posted: 6/3/2002 11:58:35 AM EDT
[#1]

I recommend either Windows 98se or Win2000. Windows, simply because you get the best software selection and most people run it. 98se or 2000 because they are generally stable, and most bugs have been worked out. I don't recommend XP until they get to XP "second edition" for the same reason that Win98 first edition sucked.

Not much knowledge of Athlon.
Link Posted: 6/3/2002 12:04:43 PM EDT
[#2]
If you are at all interested in overclocking I still recommend the northwood.

Anyway, I agree with the above regarding OS.  I'm still using 98 just because it seems to have the best overall compatibility with everything (and because I'm too cheap to upgrade right now).
Link Posted: 6/3/2002 12:06:14 PM EDT
[#3]
OS/2 Warp  v.4, because nobody knows how to write a virus for it.

I'd take it easy with the Athlon overclocking, those suckers get pretty hot all by themselves.
Link Posted: 6/3/2002 12:08:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/3/2002 12:08:19 PM EDT
[#5]
It depends on what you want in an OS.  Win2000 has better memory management and is more stable, especially on a network.  Most Win2k PC's I've had will run for months on a network without having to reboot except for software installations or power outages.  Win2k also allows you to kill an offending application and keep on with everything else much better than Win98SE.  It seems like with Win98SE, the PC's have to be rebooted every few days because of a crash or some other issue.  However, at home (not on a network) I've been running Win98SE with very good stability and have had very few issues with it.

I use the Thermaltake Volcano 6Cu fan for my Athlon XP systems.  However, you might want to look into something stronger if you're going to overclock it.
Link Posted: 6/3/2002 12:09:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/3/2002 12:29:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Let me add the advantage of Win98SE is that it is cheaper (usually by about $50 or more) and some people are more familiar with its user interface if they have used Win9x before and haven't used a multi-user environment such as WinNT or Unix before.  Really the multi-user environment of Win2k isn't that big of a deal, but it might give the novice user a problem or two.

I would agree with zonan about the overclocking.  If you're going to do it, you might as well make it worth your while.
Link Posted: 6/3/2002 12:43:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Let me add the advantage of Win98SE is that it is cheaper (usually by about $50 or more) and some people are more familiar with its user interface if they have used Win9x before and haven't used a multi-user environment such as WinNT or Unix before.  Really the multi-user environment of Win2k isn't that big of a deal, but it might give the novice user a problem or two.

I would agree with zonan about the overclocking.  If you're going to do it, you might as well make it worth your while.
View Quote

Where do you find windows 98se cheaper?? From what I can find both 98 and xp cost about $90..

thanks
Link Posted: 6/3/2002 1:13:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Where do you find windows 98se cheaper?? From what I can find both 98 and xp cost about $90..
thanks
View Quote

$90 sounds about right for a licensed copy of Win98.  I haven't used WinXP, but I wouldn't be surprised if ran about the same for the Home version.  Win2k is usually around $150.

I'm not familiar with WinXP and couldn't recommend one way or the other with it.  I've stuck with Win2k because it's been debugged and I'm not that excited about WinXP copy protection scheme.  Win2k has all the big advantages over Win9x that WinXP has anyway.
Link Posted: 6/3/2002 2:27:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Little help here!

I've got a system with an Athlon processor and the fan noise is driving me nuckin' futz!

Any suggestions for upgrading to quieter fans or insulating the case?
Link Posted: 6/3/2002 2:41:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Little help here!

I've got a system with an Athlon processor and the fan noise is driving me nuckin' futz!

View Quote

You could liquid cool it.  I got seven fans running in mine and dont even notice the noise anymore.  As far as OS systems unless you all ready have one of the three mentioned I would just jump on XP now.  I have been running it for months with zilch problems.  There are some noticeable performance gains over win2k despite what some of these guys say.  MaximumPC ran a benchmark comparrison test between win2k and XP a few months ago. I don't see any reason right now to overclock a highend cpu, the gains are very minimal and not worth the effort. As far as software not running on XP the only thing I have seen is some old DOS stuff that is antiquated anyway.
Link Posted: 6/3/2002 10:41:13 PM EDT
[#12]
I use System Commander, which allows me to run multiple OS's on the same PC. Right now I run 98SE and WIN2000 Pro on the same partition on my development machine, and it worked great until I tried to upgrade to IE6. It appears you cannot run two copies of IE6 on the same partition, so I'm back to IE 5.5 again.

My server machine runs WIN2000 Adv. Server and Red Hat 6. The Win2k install serves mostly as a database server running SQL Server 2k and the Lnux install is just for playing around.

Anyway, given the choice of one OS only, for me I would pick Win2k, but Win98SE probably has better support for most consumer software.
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 9:16:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Little help here!

View Quote

Aaaahahahahaha, finally someone that fans don't blow, they SUCK!

Go over to [url=http://home.swipnet.se/tr/silence.html]Silent PC[/url] and read up. The Ahtlon isn't the best for building a quiet PC, but heat sink suggestions are there.

I think the current favorite heat sink is the [url=http://www.zalmantech.com/CNPS-3100G%2B.html]ZALMAN CNPS-3100 Gold Plus[/url]
[img]http://www.zalmantech.com/images/CNPS-3100G/ZM6548BC-Ga.gif[/img]

(url edit)
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 9:24:01 PM EDT
[#14]
I HIGHLY advise using active (heatsink with fan)  cooling with an Athlon , seen way too many fried CPUs thet use passive (heat sink only) cooling . Unfortunately hardware support in OS/2 v4 isn't up to snuff unless you buy a updated copy from
[url]http://www.prismdataworks.com/ecs[/url]
therwise give linux a look , using Redhat 7.2 right now .
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 9:42:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Isn't the Athlon XP optimized for XP?  I would suggest going with XP Pro.  I bought a Cooler Master for my Athlon XP 2000.  I second the recommendation for the Audigy.  Of course, then you need the Creative 5700 speakers.  
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 4:59:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 6:18:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Linux - bah!
Windows - bah!
OS/2 - bah!

Go with Amiga 3.9! [url]http://os.amiga.com/[/url] Depending on your hardware, it's a pretty quick OS.

Only downside is that you really can't build your own PC.

Av.
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 6:24:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Forget Windows 98se or Win Me.  I was never so happy as when I upgraded my work machine from 98se to Win2k.  The system instability went away and I can multitask much more intensively, as well as leaving the machine running for weeks at a time.  I am getting ready to switch from Win Me on my wife's machine to Win2k.  Even though it is a personal machine and used less intensively I am amazed at the problems she has with it.  Never had software of hardware compatibility issues of any importance.

Any why overclock your machine?  Unless you're using a CAD program, who ever uses anywhere over 50% of processor capacity or notices any slight speed increases?  Seems like stressing the processor with no practical benefit to me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top