Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/3/2002 4:30:55 AM EDT
Apprently, in 1998 Congress decided it wanted to create a new class of Pre-Ban/Post-Ban stuff. So, as of April 28, 2000, there are now Pre-Ban and Post-Ban VCRs, Betas, and 8mm Recorders.

[url]http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/1201.html#1201.k_1[/url]

I figured it would just be interesting to show how ridiculous Congress has become. Fortunately, all my VCRs are Pre-Bans.
Link Posted: 6/3/2002 4:40:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Here is the Scary part --

(a) In General. - Any person who violates section 1201 or 1202 willfully and for purposes of commercial advantage or private financial gain -

(1) shall be fined not more than $500,000 or imprisoned for not more than 5 years, or both, for the first offense; and

(2) shall be fined not more than $1,000,000 or imprisoned for not more than 10 years, or both, for any subsequent offense.
View Quote

altering a VCR to pre-ban configuration and then selling it can get you 5 years and a $500,000 fine and 10 years and a $1 MILLION fine. That is actually stiffer fine wise than having an illegal MG.
Link Posted: 6/3/2002 5:42:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Its a good thing a old black magnavox I have is postpan with a defective postban feature. It apparently has a techincal glitch that prevents it from responding to AGC. I didnt do it, thou it is nice Mag did it for me. It has the electronics to respond to AGC it just fails to.  oops..

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top