Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/5/2011 7:56:27 AM EDT
Last night I was watching my bulldogs pant and slobber all over the floor like they were about to die.  Right next to them sat the cat looking at them like "What the hell man?"  It made me wonder how cats can handle the heat so well while a dog pants and carries on.  I know dogs don't sweat, they pant instead.  I don't think cats sweat either, but then again I've never checked his pits.
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 8:00:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Cats are cooler. Just ask one.
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 8:03:30 AM EDT
[#2]
I think it depends on the breed, it doesn't seem to bother my dog much at all unless shes really active.  I caught her lounging out in the 112 degree sun the other afternoon looking like all was well with the world.
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 8:03:43 AM EDT
[#3]
A cat will fucking die before it shows any weakness.

That's one of the reasons it's so important to get them to a vet quickly if they start showing signs of illness, it's worse than it looks.
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 8:06:15 AM EDT
[#4]
What the fuck do cats do? My dog runs the fuck around after things all day including chasing cats. this is the only time I ever see them running any distance.
Edit not to mention bulldogs have way more mass than a cat and are notorious for overheating anyways.

EDIT 2

http://www.btinternet.com/~detour/heat.htm

Link Posted: 8/5/2011 8:07:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Cube / Square law helps smaller animals shed heat when they need to.

Cats don't jump around as much as a matter of course.  They do seek out cooler areas and lie around with their bellies up radiating heat.  Cats also have a naturally higher normal body temp than humans, and maybe more than dogs.

They also are notorious for not displaying symptoms until they are really bad, your cat may be overheated and you wouldn't know it.

Make sure your animals have a choice about being cooled down and forget about it.  They'll figure it out.
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 8:08:58 AM EDT
[#6]
They are desert animals.
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 8:09:28 AM EDT
[#7]
so your asking why two bodies with different mass deal with heat in different ways? Throw them both in a blizzard and find out which one dies first.
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 8:10:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Depends on the breed.....Bulldogs are NOT heat friendly dog...neither are my Akita's...
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 8:11:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
They are desert animals.

This.

The only tropical canine that comes to mind are the African wild dogs, jackals, etc, all of which have adaptations for heat.  All others live in temperate or artic climates.

Most feline species are tropical.
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 8:13:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Cats are one of the most resilient animals on earth. They require almost no water, they can get get all the water they need from eating other animals as their kidneys are super efficient. They are on every continent except Antarctica. They can survive in extreme deserts or extreme cold. Very diverse creature.
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 8:15:11 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They are desert animals.

This.

The only tropical canine that comes to mind are the African wild dogs, jackals, etc, all of which have adaptations for heat.  All others live in temperate or artic climates.

These are all dogs from Egypt alone

Saulki This breed has a sacred sentimentality because  people of the Muslim
faith thought that they were a present from their God and  would never
sell them only give them to friends as gifts

Pharaoh Hound

Ibizian hound

Gray hound This is disputed but much like the Saulki

Basenji

Link Posted: 8/5/2011 8:17:28 AM EDT
[#12]
House cats were spawned in hell. 100* ain't shit.
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 8:43:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Last night I was watching my bulldogs pant and slobber all over the floor like they were about to die.  Right next to them sat the cat looking at them like "What the hell man?"  It made me wonder how cats can handle the heat so well while a dog pants and carries on.  I know dogs don't sweat, they pant instead.  I don't think cats sweat either, but then again I've never checked his pits.

Well, having what is probably THE least heat tolerant breed of dog might have something to do with it.
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 8:49:43 AM EDT
[#14]
I like hot pussy better than hotdogs.
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 8:58:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Cats are thermally powered. I have one that sleeps on a heater vent in the winter.

Our Norwegian Elkhound isn't bothered much by heat (insulation works both ways, I guess) but she does spend more time indoors in the summer. I suspect some Spitz breeds are actually the Anti-cat as every one I've owned gets more playful the lower the temps get. I've seen this idiot laying on her back in a snow bank in sub-zero weather with a doofy grin on her face (yes, Elkhounds and American Eskimo's both smile. Cats don't ... they may smirk, but never smile)
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 9:03:35 AM EDT
[#16]
The only reason my cats don't sleep on the surface of the fucking Sun, is because they can't afford a spaceship.
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 9:04:41 AM EDT
[#17]
because they don't do anything
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 9:05:56 AM EDT
[#18]
It's your bulldogs.  The shape of their air passages inhibits smooth airflow and their stubby body build reduces the surface area:body weight ratio.  This leaves less skin to radiate heat from than most dogs have.
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 9:06:51 AM EDT
[#19]
When it's real hot my cat tends to hang out in the bathroom a lot.  I think he like the coolness of the marble floor tile.  But he rarely goes in the basement where it's usually 15 degrees cooler.
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 9:07:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
so your asking why two bodies with different mass deal with heat in different ways? Throw them both in a blizzard and find out which one dies first.

I think you have the basic issue here, although there skinny and fat of both.   Typical cat is skinny....ETA except for .GOV fat cats.
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 9:11:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Cats eat charcoal  and piss napalm.
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 9:12:06 AM EDT
[#22]
I should have added that we also have a lap dog who pants and carries on.  I do know that bulldogs don't handle heat well.  I do know that they should have an option of a cooler place to lay.  For what it's worth, it was 84 degrees in the shade on my patio.  Not hot, but obviously hot enough for all four dogs to lay panting.  I don't care what breed of dog it is, big or small, cats handle the heat way better than any dog I have ever seen and I was just curious why.
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 9:13:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Dogs stay active, always protecting your family. The only time a cat moves is when they try to outrun naked meth heads.
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 9:17:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I should have added that we also have a lap dog who pants and carries on.  I do know that bulldogs don't handle heat well.  I do know that they should have an option of a cooler place to lay.  For what it's worth, it was 84 degrees in the shade on my patio.  Not hot, but obviously hot enough for all four dogs to lay panting.  I don't care what breed of dog it is, big or small, cats handle the heat way better than any dog I have ever seen and I was just curious why.

Panting is more efficient for a dog to air condition their body

http://www.womensjournals.com/articles/382/1/Animals-and-Hot-Weather/Page1.html

Link Posted: 8/5/2011 9:25:43 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
They are desert animals.

This.

These are all dogs from Egypt alone
Saulki This breed has a sacred sentimentality because  people of the Muslim faith thought that they were a present from their God and  would never sell them only give them to friends as gifts

Pharaoh Hound

Ibizian hound

Gray hound This is disputed but much like the Saulki

Basenji

Those are all breeds of domesticated dogs.  I'm talking about species of canines that evolved certain characteristics independent of human interaction based on their surroundings.  Generally speaking, you have greater abundance of feline species in warmer areas, greater abundance of canids in cooler climes.  Although many breeds are very far removed from their ancestral roots, these generalities are still applicable in many instances.
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 9:30:11 AM EDT
[#26]
Cat's handle heat better because they are in league with the Devil and come from Hell.
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 9:30:22 AM EDT
[#27]
Double tap.

Link Posted: 8/5/2011 9:35:56 AM EDT
[#28]
Cats rule..... Dogs drool....
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 9:40:18 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

A cat will fucking die before it shows any weakness.

That's one of the reasons it's so important to get them to a vet quickly if they start showing signs of illness, it's worse than it looks.

This.

If you ever see a cat panting, then its in trouble.
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 9:45:04 AM EDT
[#30]
My dog loves to roll around in the hot sunshine. Of course she has no fur on her underside.
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 9:45:13 AM EDT
[#31]
Cats have a lot of tricks up their sleeves. The biggest two are body grooming and body temperature. Cats run like a 101 temp normally and in hot weather they groom themselves more, which puts more saliva on their fur. Kind of like sweat, the saliva evaporates and cools the cat. This trick stops working when the air temp is greater than their body temp, that is usually when you will see a cat start seeking cool, dark areas like bathrooms or basements.
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 9:46:40 AM EDT
[#32]
Actually cats aren't smart enough to know it's hot outside.  Dogs are much smarter.  

Link Posted: 8/5/2011 10:14:56 AM EDT
[#33]
This totally reminds me of the cat I had when I was a kid.  On a hot day he would lie on his back with his privates facing the fan.  I brought my high school sweetheart home for the first time and he was doing it.
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 10:35:39 AM EDT
[#34]
Cat ancestors are from North Africa so they are adapted to handle heat.  Although like another poster said they can survive in diverse climates they would much rather be hot then cold.

My GF's outside cats absolutely f-ing hate winter.  Hot summer 115* heat index... Meh shady spot under the the carport is fine.
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 10:49:17 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
House cats were spawned in hell. 100* ain't shit.

This.  eeeevil they are
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 10:53:33 AM EDT
[#36]
My Boxer is laying next to me dieing and it's not even that hot out. My cat on the other hand is chillin
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 10:59:32 AM EDT
[#37]
According to history, cats come from a desert environment and dogs come from cooler Northern climates.

Impeach Obama for the Good of the Animals.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top