Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/2/2002 2:21:19 PM EDT
In the June 10th issue of SGN Fred comments on a post I started back some time ago which I started by asking the following: "I was wondering what other gun heads think of fred's articals in SGN? And does anyone read SGN on a regular basis, and what do you think of it?".....Fred starts of in his SGN artical by basically critiquing all the responces from My post. What ticks me off and shows the immaturity of freds responce to my post is the fact that fred makes a judgement about me that is totally knee jerk and jugementally inaccurate. He states that I am basically a week minded "Gen-X male" ( I am 44 years old and despise 99% of the Gen-X mentality) Next He thinks that the only resason I wrote the post was because I couldn't read something and decide for myself so I look for leadership and advice from others on this post which to him is weekness ( EXCUSE ME FRED BECAUSE YOU OWE ME AN APPOLOGY!!!, I WROTE THIS POST FOR ONE REASON AND ONE REASON ONLY AND THAT WAS TO SEE IF OTHERS READ YOUR ARTICALS AND WHAT THEY THOUGHT OF THEM. I did NOT post: GEE GUYS SHOULD I BELEIVE WHAT FRED WRITES IN SGN. Contrary to freds pre-concieved ideas about my motives and thoughts, I wish to let him know that I am a big fan of his and actually buy every issue of SGN with the intent of reading his articals. He really cut me down unjustly when he wrote that some of us were (including myself) "liberally influenced guys" Fred may have been justified to say what he did about some of the things he read on the AR15.com thread, But he was totally out of line to put thoughts and words in my mouth. I totally agree that the 308 can be a major advantage over the 223. and have planned on getting a DSA Fal or a M1A when funds permit it. But the 223 serves a purpose also, expecially at ranges under 200yds with M193 NATO ball. I still have a little respect left for Fred But his Character in my mind has been found wanting. I go to the range every week, I email and write my polititions, I get involved in my Community to get Gen Xers out to the range and teach them the responsibility we have in becoming rifle men and standing FIRM on the 2nd ammendment. Fred might want to be careful how he practices the 1st ammendment and not act like the Liberals do and make uneducated prconceived attacks on peoples characters. JOHN232
Link Posted: 6/2/2002 2:24:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/2/2002 2:26:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Ever try to contact Fred? It can't be done. The guy is trying to take over Todd Bailey's slot in pissing off possible customers. All he has to do now to complete his transition to the dark side is offer a belt fed adapter for the M1A.
Link Posted: 6/2/2002 2:33:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Fred might want to be careful how he practices the 1st ammendment and not act like the Liberals do and make uneducated prconceived attacks on peoples characters. JOHN232
View Quote

You may want to follow your own advice.  I was a SGT in the Army at 20.  I have a BS, MS and professional certifications.  I am a gun hobbyist and support my hobby.  I go to Camp Perry every year and have never been in jail.  I am also a Gen-X male.  While your cohorts were out smoking dope and ignoring the draft;   when it was our turn, we rose to the occasion and defeated the fifth largest army in the world in 48 hours.  You and Fred are cut from the same cloth.  Open your mind.
Link Posted: 6/2/2002 2:34:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/2/2002 2:54:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/2/2002 2:54:38 PM EDT
[#6]
This guy should be happy to have any topic about him here or any place.

I get every  issue or The Shotgun News and had to look for this guy just so I was up to speed.
I can't say I have ever read SGN,I look at it and call vendors from time to time but never read per-say.
I bet this is not nucommon,so it's not odd that they have a less than Pullitzer prize winning writer on the staff.

You should rethink your patronage of his articles,it seems he likes to pay lip service to conservative philosophy but then pops off on a emotional tangent.

Link Posted: 6/2/2002 5:14:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Part of the reason I dislike gun rags is because the writers cannot help but go on a political tangent every fourth article.

Look, I want to read a car magazine... tell me about cars.  Don't go into a tirade on the "liberal agenda" of the EPA.

If I want to hear about how conservative you are and how great that makes you, I'll go to a Young Republicans meeting.  Otherwise, tell me about the guns.
Link Posted: 6/2/2002 5:14:51 PM EDT
[#8]
QCMGR: I am not knocking you per say. I am knocking the MTV liberal bed wetters which I wouldn't dream of putting you in the same catagory as those morons... most Gen Xers I know  have got there sh!t together better than I did at there age. But there is always a large percentage of any generation that are true patriotic Americans, even in the 60s and 70s and 80s. I deeply appreciate your sevice to this Country and hope I did not offend you and if I did I am deeply sorry and I hope you will accept my appology. the link that RAF put out there is not the one in SGN I am referring to, it was a different one and I have no idea where it is located on this sight. JOHN232
Link Posted: 6/2/2002 5:18:51 PM EDT
[#9]
MODERATOR!!! I meant to post this in GENERAL DISCUSSION. SO IF YOU SEE FIT TO DO SO, WOULD YOU PLEASE MOVE IT THEIR?? And thanks for all you do to keep things running on this sight on a regular basis. JOHN232
Link Posted: 6/2/2002 5:48:25 PM EDT
[#10]
[cut because it's just not nice to be mean to stupid people.  Don't waste your time on Fred.]
Link Posted: 6/2/2002 6:09:38 PM EDT
[#11]
His "article" is part of his ad. If he draws a salary from it he is paying it to either himself or a ghost writer.

Kyle
Link Posted: 6/2/2002 6:38:21 PM EDT
[#12]
He ripped me too, but I still read his column, I have even bought the reprints. I prefer the .308 to the .223 but I am starting to believe the AR10 would be the better battle rifle over the M1A.
Link Posted: 6/2/2002 11:48:47 PM EDT
[#13]
I'd have to say Fred was a little harsh in his criticism of some people here, based only on a few casual comments made by them. There is plenty of hot air venting and chest pounding going on at AR-15.com on a daily basis, but I didn't see much in those particular comments worthy of such a response. It was not one of his finer moments.

And yes, he does strike me as slightly nutty sounding when he starts talking about UN convoys and so forth. Not that I do not see very dark clouds on the horizon myself, I just don't visualize the eventual shape of the problem in such specific terms.

But overall I think Fred is performing a great patriotic service with his columns, in doing SOMETHING to wake people up to the true purpose of the Second Amendment and to the continuing dangerous growth of centralized governmental power. His calls to both take preventative educational and political steps now AND to prepare ourselves for the worst case scenario are right on the money, in my opinion. Who knows how many thoughtless egg-headed antique collectors or dumb trigger-happy young punks have had their eyes opened for the first time when they stumbled upon his writings in the pages of Shotgun News? I don't know if Shotgun News pays Fred for his columns, or what. If Fred not only takes the time to write these columns, but is also paying Shotgun News to print them, then we all owe him a double debt of gratitude.

Maybe I'm just sappy or something, but Fred in his better columns seems almost breathtakingly eloquent to me.

And while he does seem almost to favor the M1A, I think I recall him saying good things about Garands, FAL's, SKS's, and cheap Mausers. I bet he thinks even AR-15's are better than rocks.
Link Posted: 6/3/2002 12:00:24 AM EDT
[#14]
There are articles in SGN?  I just read it for the pictures.
Link Posted: 6/3/2002 12:04:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Part of the reason I dislike gun rags is because the writers cannot help but go on a political tangent every fourth article.

Look, I want to read a car magazine... tell me about cars.  Don't go into a tirade on the "liberal agenda" of the EPA.
View Quote

I'm seeing two possibilities here...

1) You already know all about the political perils we are in, you're already doing something about them, and the "gun rags" are published just for you alone to read.

or...

2) You've got your toys and you just don't give a damn about anybody else or the future.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top