Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/2/2002 8:25:36 AM EDT
I'm being transferred in a few months and would like to know some shops and ranges in the area.  Also, what are Texas carry laws for pistol and rifle?  CCW in that big state?  Any wild or radical Kali-style laws on "assault weapons"?  Thanks in advance to all.

Doug Lewis
Texas-bound from Charlotte, NC
Link Posted: 6/2/2002 8:33:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/2/2002 9:01:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Doug

This is a great place to live.. ranges are scare compared to the west but CCW is much easier. Class 3 is easy if you incorporate or live in BFE like I do. Humidity isnt nearly as bad as they claim and the people are not to once you get over the fact that they think Texas is the center of the universe.

Ropes
Link Posted: 6/2/2002 9:44:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
[b]the people are not to once you get over the fact that they think Texas is the center of the universe.[/b]
View Quote

Do you mean to say that Texas is [b]not[/b] the center of the universe?

There are souls burning in Hell for lesser blasphemy!

*sigh*....carpetbaggers....
Link Posted: 6/2/2002 9:52:42 AM EDT
[#4]
<
Link Posted: 6/2/2002 10:06:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Don't you have to give a thumbprint just to get a driver's license in Texas?  Wonder what they do with that?!?
Link Posted: 6/2/2002 11:14:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Dont get me wrong I love it here.. I just wish we had a few mountains to run to when the heat index hits the 100+ range..

Blue Skies, Ropes
Link Posted: 6/2/2002 11:26:53 AM EDT
[#7]
There are a few mountains about 12 hours from Dallas out by El Paso. RH
Link Posted: 6/2/2002 11:34:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
There are a few mountains about 12 hours from Dallas out by El Paso. RH
View Quote

There's no mountains near El Paso , they all came here to Washington to escape the heat [;D] . Actually I guess you could call them that , I only lived there for 7 months .
Link Posted: 6/2/2002 11:48:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Dont get me wrong I love it here.. I just wish we had a few mountains to run to when the heat index hits the 100+ range..

Blue Skies, Ropes
View Quote

Actually, we do have cool mountains, we just loaned them to New Mexico in the 1800's. They watch over them for us...[:D] fullclip
Link Posted: 6/2/2002 2:23:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Permits are easy if you have a clean background.  Just take the class, give them a full set of fingerprints, and enough background info to find you in a blizzard in Montana in February!

You can legally carry a rifle or shotgun, loaded or unloaded, concealed or open, at any time.

We just left there last November and ran to WA for some relief from the heat!  (Actually, we're from here originally and love the mountains and Puget Sound area.)

Good luck in Big D!  It's a fun place.

I forgot, the Collin County Gun Range off 380 in McKinney is a good place to shoot.  It's an outdoor 100 yd. range and you can rent full-auto there.  Also, the Bullet Trap in Plano on Ave. K (Plano Road) between Park and Parker has a decent indoor range.  I bought my Kimber Pro Carry there and got a fairly good deal.  They tried to talk me into a 2nd one, but I told him my wife would shoot me with it!  He said, "that's why we rent lockers!"  

Link Posted: 6/2/2002 3:36:31 PM EDT
[#11]
You can get your CCW after six months here. Another good indoor range is on Mockingbird just west of Harry Hines. (the name escapes me right now) Welcome to Texas. Just remember its as much a state of mind as a physical place.
[IMG]http://www.flags.net/elements/gif_flags/UNST070.GIF[/IMG]      

learn it, live it, love it
Link Posted: 6/3/2002 6:15:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Texas CCW is known as CHL (Concealed Handgun License), so called because you don't need a license to carry a long gun in Texas, loaded and in your car or on your person.

You will have to be a Texas resident for 6 months before you can apply for a CHL, but you can take your class, fingerprints, etc. in the 6th month.

The indoor range on Mockingbird is called the DFW Gun Club.  I have never been there, just passed it by when I was traveling in Dallas.
Link Posted: 6/3/2002 8:47:02 AM EDT
[#13]
From a fellow out of towner to another, WELCOME.

This is a shall issue CCW state. Class ranges from $50 - $150. CCW is $140
This is a class 3 state. The only restriction is that of federal laws.
Plenty of ranges, however most restrict for FMJ and/or steel core.
Lots of board members in the DFW area. Give us a shout when you get here. And since this offer was extended to me when I moved here, I will in turn extend my help to move you in if you need it. E-mail is on my profile.

Al
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top