Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/30/2001 9:20:54 AM EDT
Has anyone checked out the new issue of Guns and Weapons?  I think that I need the new S.I.R. system - what do you think?
[heavy]
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 9:35:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 9:36:00 AM EDT
[#2]
  Have seen the new SIR system. Yes it is quite " cool ". I don't however see what it offers that the KAC RAS doesn't.
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 9:47:11 AM EDT
[#3]
CQC,
For one, it's completely free floating (from the barrel).
Two, it offers a full length top rail, which the RAS does too (although not continuous like the SIR), but most people agree the RAS isn't stable enough for optical sights.  And does the top rail of the RAS line up, elevation wise, with the top rail of the receiver?  Obviously the SIR does since it's one continuous rail.  That gives you alot of flexibility of what and where you mount on that rail.

Other SIR thread:
[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=11851[/url]
[uzi]
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 12:15:20 PM EDT
[#4]
sb7979,

Have had no problems with KAC's RAS overheating or loss of noticable accuracy due to it's non free floating barrel. Also use the GG&G scout rail on upper reciever. I need the extra height of the GG&G rail when using it in conjunction with the GG&G Aimpoint ring to put the dot where I want it in relation to the front sight.

As for most people agreeing that the RAS wasn't stable enough to mount optical sights sounds a little weird to me. Have only heard of the RIS giving very few people trouble, which is why they developed the RAS. The RAS is a very stable platform from my expierence. I don't see this new system offering enough improvment to phase out KAC's RAS. Also seems like it is quite a bit more bulky than the RAS. Oh well, different strokes for different folks I guess.

Link Posted: 3/30/2001 2:09:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I know I'll probably get flamed for this one, but what the heck...

I think it looks like an overweight, over-gadgitty, over-priced, ugly-as-sin piece of equipment.  And yes I read the article.

Yes, I think the freefloating is great idea, but how much accuracy do you expect from a 14.5" M4???

I admit, I have a KAC RAS, and I think it is a good piece of equipment, not entirely useful, but serves its purpose.  When I first got the RAS, I hung EVERY accessory I owned off of it.  KAC grip, Surefire light and laser, Trijicon Reflex (and kept the carry handle on) sling mount, etc...  Went shooting, humped it around for a bit, and guess what's on it right now, months later???  The RAS, vert grip, 300m flip-up in place of carry handle, and that's it!

I don't know, I've tried it all, but I always go back to a simple, light weight system, using irons.  Is there any end to the amount of doo-dads we can hang off our ARs???

So let me have it...
[pyro]
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 2:32:14 PM EDT
[#6]
What I noticed in the article:  

"Sources within the military report that, when using systems that contact the barrel directly, in rapid-fire of fewer than 150 rounds the M4 barrel gets red hot and becomes deformed.

In other sustained fire scenarios the receiver has warped, where the weighted barrel (from accessories mounted on a RAS, I'm guessing) has drooped enough to prevent the bolt from going into battery and locking."

This seems like a valid concern to me, and an big advantage that the SIR has over the RAS due to its attachment to the flattop receiver rail.

Chris
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 5:02:54 PM EDT
[#7]
ARMS rails and mounts are the best, their quick release rings always go back to zero too.
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 9:58:27 PM EDT
[#8]
In other sustained fire scenarios the receiver has warped, where the weighted barrel (from accessories mounted on a RAS, I'm guessing) has drooped enough to prevent the bolt from going into battery and locking."

What the H$!! are they putting on for accessories!!?? Land Warrior system???
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 11:47:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

What the H$!! are they putting on for accessories!!?? Land Warrior system???
View Quote

Well, you just gotta have the camera (to see around corners with your HUD), don't forget your FLIR/Thermal imagery, your Aimpoint, your PVS14 behind it, KAC grip, your Insight visible taclight, a IR taclight, your visible and IR lasers, an M203 or KAC masterkey 12 gauge, oh and don't forget about your bayonet, or if you prefer, you can just club someone with that boat anchor of a carbine you are now carrying around!

See what I mean about TOO many gadgets???
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 11:58:40 PM EDT
[#10]
This is exactly what I need. A rifle with a forty pound sputnik mounted on it. Two words, iron sights.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top