BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/1/2002 9:55:55 AM EDT
[url]http://www.pilotonline.com/military/ml0531sea.html[/url]

Navy picks Rear Adm. Calland to head the nation's SEAL force
By DENNIS O'BRIEN, The Virginian-Pilot
© May 31, 2002

The Navy has tapped one of the principal architects of the Special Operations campaign in Afghanistan to become the country's top SEAL.

Rear Adm. Albert M. Calland III will take charge of the San Diego-based Naval Special Warfare Command sometime this summer. The command includes about 5,000 people, 2,200 of them Navy sea, air, land commandos based mostly in San Diego and Norfolk.

Calland, officer in charge of the U.S. Central Command's Special Operations Command, now leads several thousand troops from a base inside Afghanistan. Forces under his command during Operation Enduring Freedom and subsequent operations have fought al-Qaida, directed air strikes and coached local forces to overthrow the Taliban.

His previous assignments include commanding from 1997 to 1999 the Virginia Beach-based Naval Special Warfare Development Group, which refines and tests SEAL tactics and equipment. The group reportedly has covert counter-terrorism responsibilities as well.

A 1974 graduate of the U.S. Naval Academy, Calland was a receiver and punt returner for the Midshipmen football team. ``Bert'' Calland's 61 grabs in 1972 tied the academy record for most receptions in a season and has not been matched since, according to the academy's sports media guide. His career tally, 108, is second in school history.

Calland will relieve Rear Adm. Eric T. Olson, who was awarded a Silver Star for heroism during the 1993 Battle of Mogadishu, immortalized by the book and movie ``Blackhawk Down.'' During the battle, Olson led a column of Pakistani troops who entered the fray to rescue besieged Army Rangers and special operators.

Olson's tenure as top SEAL was marked by the most sweeping reorganization of naval commandos in years, including the creation of two new SEAL teams.

Olson's new assignment has not been released.

Edited to add URL
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 10:18:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Will be very interesting to see what Olson's next assignment will be............
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 6:16:10 PM EDT
[#2]
But has this Calland guy ever been shot at?
Link Posted: 6/2/2002 5:06:37 AM EDT
[#3]
[url]http://www.chinfo.navy.mil/navpalib/people/flags/biographies/callandam.html[/url]
Link Posted: 6/2/2002 6:58:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

I guess not, or it would be mentioned in his bio.
Link Posted: 6/2/2002 7:12:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

I'm not so sure about that.  Stuff done covertly remains covert if handled correctly.
Link Posted: 6/2/2002 9:44:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

I'm not so sure about that.  Stuff done covertly remains covert if handled correctly.
View Quote

OK, good point.  Get me more coffee!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top