Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/1/2002 9:41:27 AM EDT
 Ok, I noticed earlier the thread about vacuum sealing ammo, which was great...but I have a question:

Next year, I might be moving out of the country for around 12 months. If I  do, I  am going to be putting everything I have in storage, including the ol' gunsafe.

So, being that I live in Minnesota where the humidity is up and down dramaticly, would the idea of vacuum sealing my pistols and rifles be a good idea? Would it be prudent to oil them up, put them in bags with decessatent (sorry, spelling) and seal them up for that time?

Anyone with any experience doing this?
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 10:09:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 10:39:24 AM EDT
[#2]
That is a great idea. I know what you mean about Minnesota weather. It goes from being so dry in the Winter that your skin and lips crack, to a hot, humid cauldron of living hell in the Summer. Maybe that is one of the reasons why were so adaptable [:D]
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 10:17:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I wanted to do the same thing too. I am trying to find out if a AR will fit in the bags before buying the unit.
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 11:14:18 PM EDT
[#4]
In addition to bags, the two sources mentioned in the previous thread ([url=www.uline.com]ULINE[/url] and [url=www.browncor.com]Brown-Cor[/url]) also carry "bags on rolls" — essentially, continuous hollow tubing-on-a-roll that allows you to make bags of any desired length. You just seal one end, roll out as much length as you need, cut the other end and seal it up after you've put your goodies inside. This might work well for long items like rifles and magazines.

Also, some Office Depot, Staples and Office Max stores carry bag impluse sealers that will accommodate bags that are wider than most home food sealers. However, they are NOT vacuum sealers, which means that you either need to provide your own vacuum pump or dispense with the air evacuation before sealing. (ULINE and Brown-Cor also sell these same sealers, but at several times the price in the local stores).
Link Posted: 6/2/2002 7:13:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the links to those 2 online places...I will make an order in a week or so.

I have a "Foodsaver", and I measured the widest roll of sealing plastic I have for it (just by holding it up to the widest point of my firearms) and it seems that they would fit fine (I MIGHT have to take the grip off the AR, but I doubt it.). Once I get some of the cheap tubing, I will test and let y'all know. Gimme a couple weeks.
Link Posted: 6/2/2002 9:12:15 AM EDT
[#6]
An interesting article on preserving/burying a firearm:

[url]http://www.survivallink.com/howto/herbs.txt[/url]

While you're at it take a look at their homepage. Some interesting info:

[url]http://www.survivallink.com[/url]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top