Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/28/2011 4:26:48 PM EDT
Does anyone know how much Snap On dealers markup price from wholesale to retail?  Has anyone had luck getting the dealers to come down on price a little, maybe ~15%?  I need to buy some tools but would like to get a break on price.

Thank you!
Link Posted: 7/28/2011 4:32:17 PM EDT
[#1]
go to sears , better guarantee and price.

retired now but many years of wrenching and tons of snap off.
Tried to get some tools replaced and answer was if you don't work in a shop we don't deal with you , fact
snap on boils down to "I got a bigger one than you"
Link Posted: 7/28/2011 4:33:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Lowes/Kobalt is GTG too.
Link Posted: 7/28/2011 4:33:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Do you need to make a living with them?

If so, pony up for Snap-On or the other truck delivered tools.

If fixing stuff around the house, Craftsman is fine.
Link Posted: 7/28/2011 4:34:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I`ve had a few of them knock down the price. That is after I had dealt with them for 3 or 4 years and bought a pile of tooks from them over that period of time. I doubt you are going to find any tool dealer willing to knock down the price just because you want to buy something.
Link Posted: 7/28/2011 4:35:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/28/2011 4:35:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Their markup is usually about 50% believe it or not.When I was just finishing Heavy Equipment Tech there was a program which gave you a one time 50% discount, which I used to my benefit.Basically the truck vendors buy a wrench at $ 50.00 then sell it according to the catalog which is 50 to 60 % more like 110.00 or 115.00.
Link Posted: 7/28/2011 4:35:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Buy em off ebay.
Link Posted: 7/28/2011 4:36:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Snap-on dealers generally get the tools at 70% of retail.  They don't have much room to move, unless the tool they are selling is being discounted to them by Snap-on, or they picked it up at the annual tool show, when they can get discounts for preorders.  Good time to try to get a deal is after the tool show if your dealer goes.  Show is usually at end of august, or in September if I remember correctly.  
The dealers have pretty high overhead though - the truck and fuel to keep it moving suck up the margin, which makes them reluctant to cut prices much.  But, a cash sale may help.
If you are looking for common snap-on stuff, shoot me an IM.  I still have some unused snapon tools from my time with the company that I can sell.  
Link Posted: 7/28/2011 4:37:16 PM EDT
[#9]
I would imagine 30-35 points. As far as getting a deal, ask. My dealer was known as "Neil the Deal" by the customer base and myself, every purchase was a give and take. Best tools on the planet.
Link Posted: 7/28/2011 4:37:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Their markup is usually about 50% believe it or not.When I was just finishing Heavy Equipment Tech there was a program which gave you a one time 50% discount, which I used to my benefit.Basically the truck vendors buy a wrench at $ 50.00 then sell it according to the catalog which is 50 to 60 % more like 110.00 or 115.00.

The school discount program is better than what dealers pay - it's to introduce new customers to Snapon so they will buy down the road from a dealer.  Trust me on this.
Link Posted: 7/28/2011 4:37:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Be careful of the tolerances  
Link Posted: 7/28/2011 4:39:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

and this is why your a heavy equipment tech and not a statistician
Link Posted: 7/28/2011 4:39:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Lowes/Kobalt is GTG too.

Yup. Not cheap either.
Link Posted: 7/28/2011 4:39:37 PM EDT
[#14]
The pawn shops are full of tools, Snap On, Matco and the like.
Link Posted: 7/28/2011 4:40:59 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Yep. I am pretty sure Snap-On and Craftsman are not interchangeable....

Link Posted: 7/28/2011 4:42:16 PM EDT
[#16]
I believe they have a 40-60% markup. When I was in college we could buy Snap-on for about that much less. I still buy some from the local guy and he is usually good for taking 10-15% off, but I have bought close to $15K worth of tools from him too. Depending on what you are looking for some of my co-workers find some pretty good deals on ebay and craigslist from time to time.
Link Posted: 7/28/2011 4:43:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/28/2011 4:43:51 PM EDT
[#18]
My Snap On dealer is always willing to deal on the tools I get but I always use the "Ben Franklin Card" so YMMV.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 7/28/2011 4:43:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Tried to get some tools replaced and answer was if you don't work in a shop we don't deal with you , fact

in 21 years as a Ford tech i have hardly ever seen a Snap On man turn away replacement of tools, if the tools have the part number for federal/military tools they will kick you off the truck. now that i live in Augusta, our Snap On man is a OLD guy with an attitude, MANY people don't deal with him anymore, after calls and complaints, Snap On sends people to other Snap On trucks to get tools repaired or replaced. this guy is a piece of work
Link Posted: 7/28/2011 4:44:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

and this is why I'm an english major = YOU'RE
Link Posted: 7/28/2011 4:44:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Snap-On makes most of their profit from the interest on your account.
Link Posted: 7/28/2011 4:49:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/28/2011 4:49:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Math fail.

J
Link Posted: 7/28/2011 4:49:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Industrial/gov't sales are 25% less than mobile dealer (retail).

With that said, at least 50% markup at the minimum.

Danny
Link Posted: 7/28/2011 4:51:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

In 30 years of dealing with Snap-On and Fly-Off, I've never had that happen and the dealers know I brought them for personal use.

You need a new rep.

Danny
Link Posted: 7/28/2011 4:52:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hes clearly mastered mathematics
Link Posted: 7/28/2011 4:52:30 PM EDT
[#27]
The heavy equipment department at Ferris State University has a deal with snap on that allows students to purchase tools at 60% off.  

I shoulda bought a a tool box before I transfered.  
Link Posted: 7/28/2011 5:08:25 PM EDT
[#28]
If Snap-on is like Matco, most likely is.....I asked the matco guy about a 1/4 inch drive ratchet.....$60. I just walked away. This was when I worked at a motorcycle dealership.
Link Posted: 7/28/2011 5:31:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Mark up is about 50%.  I remember when I was a student, I could buy them from Snap On directly, I think it was called the "Student Excellence" program.  I got a second job, was living in my parents basement at that time, and bought the hell out of them.  If you are a weekend warrior, look at fleebay or pawn shops. Otherwise, bend over and get ready.
Link Posted: 7/28/2011 5:34:48 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lowes/Kobalt is GTG too.

Yup. Not cheap either.

Compared to Snap-On?  I'd say pretty cheap.

Link Posted: 7/28/2011 5:43:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Lowes/Kobalt is GTG too.

Yup. Not cheap either.

Compared to Snap-On?  I'd say pretty cheap.

Good tools are priceless, but you have to decide what you are willing to pony up, and what fits your needs.  
Link Posted: 7/28/2011 5:47:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Some SnapOn guys will deal a little. Depends on what you are buying and if you have cash.

Ebay is a good place to find new SnapOn stuff for 40 or 50 cents on the dollar. Plenty of broke ass techs selling shit out of their boxes.

I'm about 98% SnapOn. My tools are my living.
Link Posted: 7/28/2011 5:48:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Sears and Snap-On have the same guarantee, no questions asked, lifetime of the tool.

If you had an asshole driver who would not swap your shit out then I am sorry, it is about the one thing they can do to loose the right to sell Snap-On tools.

If you use it every day or put a lot of torque on it buy Snap-On. Tools over 1" and things that don't need tight clearances go with Mac, Cornwell, Craftsman, even Harbor fright. On the larger stuff there is so much metal in the wrench even they can't screw it up!
Link Posted: 7/28/2011 5:50:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Some SnapOn guys will deal a little. Depends on what you are buying and if you have cash.

Ebay is a good place to find new SnapOn stuff for 40 or 50 cents on the dollar. Plenty of broke ass techs selling shit out of their boxes.

I'm about 98% SnapOn. My tools are my living.

And if they aren't for your living, I would concentrate on buying their ratchets, combination wrenches, and needle nose pliers. After that get what you use heavily. On the ones I listed, there is a difference.
Link Posted: 7/28/2011 5:56:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lowes/Kobalt is GTG too.

Yup. Not cheap either.

Lowes changed suppliers a few months ago for their Kobalt brand tools, it's all made in China or Taiwan now.

I picked up some of the last made in the USA stuff when it was on closeout for 50% off.
Link Posted: 7/28/2011 5:56:17 PM EDT
[#36]
I have Kobalt, and abuse the hell out of them working on my Jeep, truck, motorcycles, that rat bastard lawn mower, around the house, friends' vehicles, etc. Never broken or busted anything from Kobalt. I especially love the through-socket set I got last year. Lets you get at those long bolts without a deep socket.

Link Posted: 7/28/2011 5:57:28 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

If I run an account through snap-on, yeah, they make money off of the intrest.   My dealer will let me run a $2000 balance on the truck interest free.

I make parts in the U.S.A., so I like to buy stuff made in the U.S.A.   I did not have a problem with Craftsman until they started making most of their stuff in China, the same goes for Irwin (Vice-grip).    I turn wrenches and measure tight tolerances all day, so I want good, reliable, American made tools.   But that is just me.

Link Posted: 7/28/2011 5:58:59 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Your math sucks.

I see why you went into the trades

Link Posted: 7/28/2011 6:00:52 PM EDT
[#39]
I would also look at Proto tools.

If you can find a local distributor for Proto, they will usually give a pretty good discount...maybe 10-30% off list price.  ...and it's a brick and mortar store instead of a truck, which is more convenient if you're not at a shop.

I would say their tools are just as good of quality as Mac, Snap-on or Matco.  Proto is more into the industrial markets instead of automotive but they do still have automotive tools.  Stanley Works actually owns Mac, Facom, Blackhawk and Proto.  There are a lot of Proto tools that are identical to Mac and their 450 series tool chests are the same as well.

As far as tool chests go, I would look at Lista, Lyon, or Vidmar.  The only drawback is most of them don't come with caster are they are extremely heavy, however, casters can be installed pretty easy.  These chests simply can't be beat as far as quality and strength...plus, you can usually find them on the used market pretty cheap.  They are MUCH better built than any of the tool truck brands.
Link Posted: 7/28/2011 6:01:08 PM EDT
[#40]

Link Posted: 7/28/2011 6:03:32 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

What you did there I see it...

Link Posted: 7/28/2011 6:04:10 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep. I am pretty sure Snap-On and Craftsman are not interchangeable....

Link Posted: 7/28/2011 6:04:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

You're paying for the convenience of them delivering tools to your workplace and paying them $100 a week for the rest of your life instead of $10,000 all at once. See RAC, Aaron's, etc. type stores.
Their tools are good quality though
It's been said before, if you're working on shit for a living, invest in expensive tools or you'll be buying the same stuff over and over again. if you're just dicking around at home, then the cheap stuff should serve you well.
Link Posted: 7/28/2011 6:08:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Lowes/Kobalt is GTG too.

Kobalt is owned by Snap-on.
Link Posted: 7/28/2011 6:16:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I would imagine 30-35 points. As far as getting a deal, ask. My dealer was known as "Neil the Deal" by the customer base and myself, every purchase was a give and take. Best tools on the planet.

50-55 for those that know what a point is, is my guess.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top