Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/31/2002 8:48:05 PM EDT
I get a mess of offers for credit cards, and other sensitive junk mail.

So I want a machine that will not just turn pages into narrow strips, but chop it up into litle chips or the famous "chads".

I want a solidly built one that won't fall apart under a weekly stream of envelopes full of this stuff -- I don't want to have to open all this stuff in order to feed it.

U.S. made, if possible.

What do you recommend?
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 8:50:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 8:53:25 PM EDT
[#2]
You want a cross cut shredder, not a ribbon type.

For light duty, they run well under $100.

Check at an office supply store like Staples or Office Depot.

Mind the page limits, ie 7 pages at a time, and the volume guidelines.

I let my stuff pile up once and burned out the motor of a light duty unit.

Both of the ones I have owned, "Fellowes" brand, I think, could shred staples and paper clips, which saves some time.
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 8:57:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 9:14:34 PM EDT
[#4]
[shock] you guys are giving me nightmares.....

Paper
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 12:47:41 AM EDT
[#5]
I've seen cross-cut shredders at the local drug store for $25. We have one of the cheap ones, and as long as you don't feed it more than 5 or 6 pages at a time, it works fine. And it eats credit cards with ease.
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 1:43:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 1:57:08 AM EDT
[#7]
$19.95 Zippo lighter.Never understood the paper shredder crazy.Oh and a $10 steel bucket.Don't do a "lisa LEFT-eye lopez" and burn your house down,by starting a fire in your plastic bathtub.[}:D]
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 1:59:19 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a Royal CX7000. It's a 7 page limit cross cut. That 12 page one would probably be better, but I've had no problems with this one. I think I got this at Costco, but not sure.

Overkill is ALWAYS good ;) Get one that exceeds your expectations, and you should be fine.
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 7:24:34 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a Royal TS9512C crosscut (actually makes confetti), works great.

it does credit cards, staples and about 6 pages at a time.

In this day and age of Identity Theft, you can't be too safe!

[url]http://www.royal.com/ecommerce/category-browse.tcl?category_id=3[/url]
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 5:06:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Krrrrrrrappp!

Just went to the Office Depot and all they have is ribbon shredders and one model which says 'confetti'  - it only goes down to 1/4" X 3" strips.
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 6:54:33 PM EDT
[#11]
I think our Fellowes brand only goes to 1/4" X 2" or so.  Works ok, but feeding three pages at once would bog it down too much.  Don't remember how much i paid.  Office Depot, I think, is where I got it.
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 8:30:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Saw one in a supply catalog at work that takes twenty pages at a time with staples or paper clips.  It cost a little over a grand.  Don't remember the name though.

Don't go too cheap on one, or it just jams up and you have to replace them anyhow.

I'd reccommend the fireplace thing myself.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top