Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/27/2011 3:08:54 PM EDT
Judge Slaughter granted Winslow's request for the injunction, saying, "I will go ahead an issue the order. However, on the portion for [Roth] to stay away from the town council or the from the Town Hall, I don't think I can give a blanket order to do that. What it's going to say is that if he has to have specific personal business at the town, then he'll have to call and make an appointment. ... He can make an appointment if he wants to talk about his water bill or whatever the case may be, then that way you can leave or whatever so that you don't have to a confrontation with him."

Her official order bans Roth from attending public meetings at Town Hall, precludes him from possessing or purchasing firearms and ammunition, and orders him to surrender his firearms to law enforcement.
- which he did.

Link - Escalation in Arizona: Firearms confiscated - http://www.wnd.com/?pageId=326601#ixzz1TLj7isYW

And people say this could never happen in America. Of course, it is Quartzsite. But still, this is an unbelievable civil rights violation of at least the first and second amendments (and probably others).

Sorry if this might have been posted already. Search function not so good for unpaid members.

ETA - fixed mispelling of the town in the Subject line.
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 3:11:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Move?
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 3:11:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Quartzite...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 3:12:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Is this the same fucked up little town where a Woman's 1st Amendment rights were violated when she was removed from a city council meeting and the mayor who was on her side in trying to figure out some corruption issues was removed from his position by the city council?

ETA:Now they are violating a man's Second Amendment rights. They are batting 1000 here.
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 3:13:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quartzite...

Yep, sorry about that LOL. Wrote faster than I could spell

Link Posted: 7/27/2011 3:13:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Is this the same fucked up little town where the Woman's 1st Amendment rights were violated when she was removed from a city council meeting and the mayor who was on her side in trying to figure out some corruption issues was removed from his position by the city council?

Yes
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 3:14:13 PM EDT
[#6]
I am amazed.  I can't believe the state of Arizona is okay with what is going on in that horrid little town.  If he turns in his guns I doubt he will ever get them back.
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 3:14:33 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quartzite...

Quartzsite

Link Posted: 7/27/2011 3:15:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Wait, so this man can no longer petition his local government, has been barred from possessing arms, and can't even go to town without clearing it with the local government?

Serious question, without reading anything but the first linked article, but has anyone called the ACLU yet?  I pay them for a reason.
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 3:16:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quartzite...

Quartzsite

Lol. Fucking phone...

Link Posted: 7/27/2011 3:16:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quartzite...

Yep, sorry about that LOL. Wrote faster than I could spell

Fixed it

Link Posted: 7/27/2011 3:17:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 3:17:32 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quartzite...

Quartzsite

Lol. Fucking phone...

Same problem with my IPod.

Link Posted: 7/27/2011 3:18:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Wait, so this man can no longer petition his local government, has been barred from possessing arms, and can't even go to town without clearing it with the local government?

Serious question, without reading anything but the first linked article, but has anyone called the ACLU yet?  I pay them for a reason.

First: yes, you pretty much have it summed up right.

Second: why the Fuck would you donate to the ACLU? They have a horrid habit of only defending the rights they agree with...

Link Posted: 7/27/2011 3:18:32 PM EDT
[#14]
All those crooked fucks in that town need a heaping helping of GTFO with a side of pitchfork and a sprinkle of torch.
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 3:20:17 PM EDT
[#15]

They're pretty close to California.... We blame them. If some of us from the HTF go down there and take care of business, can we keep our ranking?

Link Posted: 7/27/2011 3:21:53 PM EDT
[#16]

Think I beat that post by about 8 seconds LOL

Link Posted: 7/27/2011 3:23:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Think I beat that post by about 8 seconds LOL

Yeah, it was funny. I left that thread and immediately found this one
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 3:26:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Second: why the Fuck would you donate to the ACLU? They have a horrid habit of only defending the rights they agree with...

True enough, but I also give money to the N.R.A., S.A.F., and G.O.A.––-and the ACLU does pretty good working on 1st and 4th Amendment issues that the others ignore.
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 3:27:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Somehow, I expect a Supreme Court decision out of this down the road
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 3:29:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

True enough, but I also give money to the N.R.A., S.A.F., and G.O.A.––-and the ACLU does pretty good working on 1st and 4th Amendment issues that the others ignore.

Eh... Say three "Hail John Moses Brownings", and I'll let you slide...

Link Posted: 7/27/2011 3:31:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

And people say this could never happen in America. Of course, it is Quartzsite. But still, this is an unbelievable civil rights violation of at least the first and second amendments (and probably others).

You've never heard of an Order of Protection before? This is a fairly standard clause.
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 3:35:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You could say the same thing about the NRA.  They only defend the one right they agree with... if they're lead counsel, of course.
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 3:35:49 PM EDT
[#23]
The stunning action is taking place in Quartzsite, Ariz., where Town Councilman Joe Winslow has prompted the seizure of guns from local gem dealer and online entrepreneur Michael Roth because Roth allegedly glared at the councilman, blocked his entrance to Town Hall and called him a "turd."

Karen Slaughter, the elected justice of the peace for the region, issued a harassment injunction against Roth on behalf of Winslow, the lawmaker who called for the silencing of pet groomer and publisher Jennifer Jones in the infamous video.

http://www.wnd.com/?pageId=326601#ixzz1TLs8UWp4

Fuck with the bull, get the horns?
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 3:38:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Where in the hell is the F'n Governor?!? I dont know anybody that lives there to get some actual info/backstory but from what I have read it looks like a good recipe for SHTF big time.
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 3:39:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Is there an article from another source?

I'm not refuting this in any way but I need one I can post elsewhere the people won't dismiss out of hand.
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 3:40:54 PM EDT
[#26]
what i want to know is why have these idiots not been removed at gun point and jailed for their actions?
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 3:43:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You've never heard of an Order of Protection before? This is a fairly standard clause.

This is true, also known as a "restraining order" to the layman.

Cool story bro time: A friend of mine had baby momma BS going on, she dropped his son off at his house, he wanted her to leave, she insisted on staying so he physically blocked the doorway and tried to close the door, at that point her brother and a couple dipshits I didn't know decided to enter through the front door to "protect his sister" and the fight was on. He carries but was at home with the kid coming over so it was locked up, mine was locked in my car outside. Long story short, the cops came and hauled brother and his shitbag homies off to jail and advised my friend to file for a restraining order. She, the twat baby momma who instigated the entire incident on his property, filed first and named herself and her entire rat shit family as the potential victims, and my friend as the aggressor or whatever, so he had to surrender his G19 for a year per the order. Trainload of BS, that is. He did get it back, but a year and several psycho bitch incidents later.
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 3:45:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You could say the same thing about the NRA.  They only defend the one right they agree with... if they're lead counsel, of course.

The ACLU is an organization the pretends to protect all civil rights. The NRA is specific to gun rights.

Link Posted: 7/27/2011 3:49:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

WTF are you talking about?

Since when is it 'standard' to bar someone from owning firearms/ammo, purchase firearms/ammo, and be forced to surrender firearms/ammo to LE over a restraining order? Derp.

This is a ludicrous, blatant violation of Roth's constitutional rights. Though being familiar with the area, I sadly find it unsurprising.

Link Posted: 7/27/2011 3:50:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Email him:  [email protected]
Tell him he is a TURD + Molon Labe
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 3:51:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Protective order.  Usually only issues temporarily (X number of days, with x usually ~14 days) pending a hearing on whether or not the order should be made "permanent," and then the orders are generally limited to a time frame.  These temporary orders are issued on very little cause, but a threat of violence usually will suffice.  The orders also typically restrain the possession of firearms.  

There does not appear to be anything truly nefarious going on here, but the story is a little thin.  If you notice in the story, he DID say, "get the keys to the arms locker", which the judge interpreted as a threat.  The order will not last forever.
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 3:52:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The ACLU is an organization the pretends to protect all civil rights. The NRA is specific to gun rights.

The ACLU doesn't pretend about shit... it's pretty clear in word and deed where they stand.

The NRA, however, only seems to care if they're the standard bearer.  If their lawyers are second-string, the NRA can't be bothered.
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 3:53:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Since when is it 'standard' to bar someone from owning firearms/ammo, purchase firearms/ammo, and be forced to surrender firearms/ammo to LE over a restraining order? .

Its almost 100% in any Orders of Protection that I see.
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 3:54:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Protective order.  Usually only issues temporarily (X number of days, with x usually ~14 days) pending a hearing on whether or not the order should be made "permanent," and then the orders are generally limited to a time frame.  These temporary orders are issued on very little cause, but a threat of violence usually will suffice.  The orders also typically restrain the possession of firearms.  

There does not appear to be anything truly nefarious going on here, but the story is a little thin.  If you notice in the story, he DID say, "get the keys to the arms locker", which the judge interpreted as a threat.  The order will not last forever.

Nice to see y'all consider revoking a citizen's constitutional rights based solely on rumor to be 'standard procedure'.
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 3:58:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Move?

From AZ to where exactly?
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 4:00:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice to see y'all consider revoking a citizen's constitutional rights based solely on rumor to be 'standard procedure'.
A protection order is not a rumor. It's an instrument of law.

Link Posted: 7/27/2011 4:03:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Dear Mr. Winslow,

I was shocked to see that you were called a "terd."

Any civilized person knows it's "turd."

You certainly are a scared little man aren't you.

BTW, "turd" pretty well says it, I think.

FOAD,

Maryland_Shooter
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 4:05:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Since when is it 'standard' to bar someone from owning firearms/ammo, purchase firearms/ammo, and be forced to surrender firearms/ammo to LE over a restraining order? .

Good to know. If I ever find myself in a position where I find it necessary to kill someone, I know where my first stop will be. The courthouse. To get an order of protection against my intended victim

This is all especially interesting considering Winslow's apparent comments on the subject. He gets an order of protection against someone who calls him a 'turd'. Meanwhile, he openly admits to being unable to control himself & insinuates that if someone invades his personal space he'll act violently But it's the 'other guy' that's getting his guns taken away.... classic:

Winslow told Slaughter what he wanted was that Roth and others with similar views "not be allowed to walk around armed. "To me, I'm not a psychologist or psychiatrist, but I have been diagnosed with PTSD (post-traumatic stress disorder) ... that's what I'm concerned with, that he's gonna get so far into my personal space that I'm gonna react without thinking. I'm not making threats or anything like that. I'm not proud of that, but that's the way I am."

Link Posted: 7/27/2011 4:05:34 PM EDT
[#39]

Link Posted: 7/27/2011 4:09:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A protection order is not a rumor. It's an instrument of law.

It's rumor when all that's needed to strip a man's constitutional rights from him are the unsubstatiated claims of a single man. Which is exactly what's happened here.
Saying "It's the law" doesn't make it right. There are plenty of laws in serious need of shitcanning.
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 4:13:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

NRA is about a single issue. ACLU isn't.
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 4:15:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

NRA is about a single issue. ACLU isn't.

Nope.  The ACLU picks and chooses its cases based on its own philosophy.  No difference in my mind.
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 4:17:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

My mom's renter had a restraining order. The girl who got it actually said she didn't want to restrict his gun ownership, judge decided otherwise. However, he simply gave the guns to my mom in a lockbox for safe keeping. He got them back after the restraining order expired. This was in CA, BTW.

Losing your rights in a restraining order is pure BS. The courts upheld it, there was a high profile case involving this that did not reach the Supremes, they took Heller instead.
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 4:17:55 PM EDT
[#44]
"As WND reported last week, the state of Arizona indicated it was investigating allegations of massive corruption among government officials in Quartzsite, and where the mayor said he's not being paid and most local police officers were in the process of being fired and were ordered not to leave their homes.

Read more: Escalation in Arizona: Firearms confiscated http://www.wnd.com/?pageId=326601#ixzz1TM1j7mJW"

Is this even possible? Tell some they can't leave their home.

Roy
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 4:19:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

It's rumor when all that's needed to strip a man's constitutional rights from him are the unsubstatiated claims of a single man. Which is exactly what's happened here.
So, then, you've read the Judge's order, and the supporting documents? Please share your intimate knowledge of this case with the rest of us.

Quoted:Saying "It's the law" doesn't make it right. There are plenty of laws in serious need of shitcanning.
Separate issue.

Link Posted: 7/27/2011 4:19:56 PM EDT
[#46]
I stop in Quartzsite because gas is cheaper than Blythe, CA.

Other than cheaper gas, nobody really cares about what goes on there.

Lots of old hippies and stoners.

Link Posted: 7/27/2011 4:23:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I stop in Quartzsite because gas is cheaper than Blythe, CA.

Other than cheaper gas, nobody really cares about what goes on there.

Lots of old hippies and stoners.

I spent some time there as a toddler in the mid 60s. My dad was working in some mine at the time. Don't remember it at all.
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 4:25:10 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Separate issue.

Yes and no. At some point, you have to bring up the fact a law is wrong. I'd jury nulify a law like this, given the chance.
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 4:26:26 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

BIG time civil rights infringement

Link Posted: 7/27/2011 4:29:22 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

hit that shit

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top