Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/31/2002 2:59:10 PM EDT
Should the FBI and the DEA be integrated ??

Probably like most of you I can think of a few reasons why that might be good or bad.

On the bad, consolidation of too much power into one agency.

On the good, the two agencies have very different cultures.  The FBI types wore wing-tip booties as infants and still do.  The DEA types wore and still wear sneaks without socks and only those when appearing in court.

A consolidation of the two cultures could be positive.

Your thoughts ??

Link Posted: 5/31/2002 3:02:03 PM EDT
[#1]
No, but I wouldn't mind seeing the BATF broken up and it's components integrated into other agencies.
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 3:05:43 PM EDT
[#2]
The DEA and BATF are "tits on a boar hog"  They should be disbanded.  Whatever legitimate functions they perform are more properly relegated to the FBI, an actual law enforcement agency.
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 3:16:34 PM EDT
[#3]
What is the FBI's basic function, anyway?
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 3:20:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The DEA and BATF are "tits on a boar hog"  They should be disbanded.  Whatever legitimate functions they perform are more properly relegated to the FBI, an actual law enforcement agency.
View Quote

So integrate DEA and BATF into the FBI.

Lots of power in one agency, lots.  (Although I tend to agree with you.)
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 3:39:15 PM EDT
[#5]
How about we dissolve the DEA along with the BATF and the IRS too?

The FBI's job is basically the federal law enforcement. I believe they do things like bust kidnappers, murders, bank robbers, and other crimes that cross state lines. I think they also do financial/tax evasion and counterespionage.
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 3:39:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Organizationally, it would make sense to combine the FBI, DEA, ATF, Secret Service, Border Patrol, the US Marshal Service, etc.  But do we really want a national police force?

Incidentally, in many ways DEA is now part of the FBI anyway.
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 3:46:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
How about we dissolve the DEA along with the BATF and the IRS too?

The FBI's job is basically the federal law enforcement. I believe they do things like bust kidnappers, murders, bank robbers, and other crimes that cross state lines. I think they also do financial/tax evasion and counterespionage.
View Quote

The FBI focuses on what is hot at the moment. They are an investagative agency. The DEA and US Marshals are enforcement orientated. They work the street more like state and local guys. They also share information with other agencies, something the "bureau" has a rep for not doing.
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 3:53:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The FBI focuses on what is hot at the moment. They are an investagative agency. The DEA and US Marshals are enforcement orientated. They work the street more like state and local guys. They also share information with other agencies, something the "bureau" has a rep for not doing.
View Quote

LE6920,
hard to disagree about the FBI sharing or playing-well-with-others.  Even to us outside the LEO community the FBI's rep for not trusting the locals is well known.
Have you seen any change in attitude since 9/11 ??  Do you believe there will be any change in attitude ??
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 4:06:37 PM EDT
[#9]
judging them as organizations/the mindset of those in charge, and not by individual employees:

the fbi is a lackey of politicians and as such they will always be ineffective.  their new focus and latitude to violate your rights will soon put them in the same league with batf and dea.

batf is a greater threat to the freedom of every honest citizen than any terrorist group.  hell, batf would probably fit the description of a domestic terrorist group.

dea is a corrupt organization trying to 'fight' a 'war' that mirrors prohibition and can't be won.

irs is the gov't's personal SS.  hitler would look at the irs and blush with pride and envy.

To the original question, don't merge them, move toward freedom and disband them.
just my $0.02 worth.
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 4:08:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 4:46:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

dea is a corrupt organization trying to 'fight' a 'war' that mirrors prohibition and can't be won.

View Quote

Agreed.
I always post the same thing on this topic.  I know of no country including Nazi Germany and the Soviet Union, even under Stalin, that stopped a black market.

The market place, the forces of supply and demand, seem to work well in this illegal environment.
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 5:28:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

What HE said!!!
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 7:22:49 PM EDT
[#13]
The ATF should be reduced to a clerical role, not one of enforcement. Any violations should be turned over to a federal LE agency such as the FBI.

The DEA should be replaced by a miltary presence at the borders, and by the FBI and local LE agencies within the country. And the role should not be relegated specifically to the Coast Guard, they got enough to do and their duties are too much and too varied.

On a Federal Level we need very few agencies.

FBI - Internal Law Enforcement
CIA - Overseas Intelligence Gathering
Secret Service - Internal Intelligence

With a mutual support mandate. Inter agency rivalries leave gaps in national defense.
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 7:26:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Interesting..........
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 7:29:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Interesting..........
View Quote

But not like the Shutzzstaffel. I mean like the CIA for domestic investigations, leaving the FBI as a agency of enforcement. You know like looking into recent immigrants who want to learn how to fly or wish to buy large quantities of fertilzier.
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 10:22:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
On a Federal Level we need very few agencies.

FBI - Internal Law Enforcement
CIA - Overseas Intelligence Gathering

View Quote

Disagree strongly!  

The Secret Service, of necessity, has a very cozy relationship with the President to begin with.  

Make them responsible for domestic intelligence and they’ll be investigating the Republicans when there’s a Democratic president and the Democrats when there’s a Republican president.  They will become the president’s Praetorian Guard.

Further, you’ve totally isolated domestic intelligence gathering from domestic enforcement operations.  The separation of these functions is a traditional weakness to begin with.  These two activities need to be closely coordinated, not placed in separate agencies.

Actually, the concept of  “enforcement operations” as an isolated activity removed from other government operations is itself flawed.  Many specific enforcement activities are inextricably interwoven into other Governmental functions.  Would you replace Park Rangers with FBI Agents?

I have to agree that’s there’s no compelling reason for the FBI, DEA, and ATF to be separate outfits.  I kinda like it that way, though.

Whenever there’s a problem in the Federal Government, the solution invariably is a reorganization.  It invariably fails, and is then replaced with another reorganization.  Etc., etc.
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 11:18:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Disagree strongly!  

The Secret Service, of necessity, has a very cozy relationship with the President to begin with.  

View Quote

True, but I should have added the qualifier that they would no longer be directly in charge of Presidential Security, would have to be a separate branch or differnet agency altogether.

A better way to express my idea is this...

Agency A: Overseas Intelligence
Agency B: Domestic Intelligence
Agency C: Domestic Enforcement

I would not create a Agency D: Overseas Enforcement because I don't believe in Global Policing Agencies. If it is a matter of national defense we have the military, especially the special forces community to defend our interests.
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 11:20:53 PM EDT
[#18]
SA - Up late or up early?
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 11:25:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
SA - Up late or up early?
View Quote

Late.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top