Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/31/2002 10:40:31 AM EDT
I was playing around with the digital camera and tried doing some 3D pictures.  What you see below are the thumbnails.  Click the links to see the actual 3D versions of the pictures.

Here is how you view them:  Display on-screen as close to full size as possible (all are 1024 pixels wide), cross your eyes a bit until the left & right images merge.  It helps to concentrate on an object near the center of the image.

Most people can do it, but not everyone can.  It works just like those "Magic Eye" random dot stereograms that were popular at malls a while back.  The main difference is you cross your eyes instead of focusing beyond the picture.  Let me know what you think.

[b][blue]OK, I added parallel versions.  To see these in 3D, focus your eyes about a foot beyond the monitor.[/blue][/b]

[image]www.ShipItToU.com/images/special/3DDowntown1Thumb.jpg[/image]
[url=www.ShipItToU.com/images/special/3DDowntown1.jpg]This is a view off a roof top.  Crosseyed version.[/url]
[url=www.ShipItToU.com/images/special/3DDowntown1p.jpg]Click here for the parallel version.[/url]

[image]www.ShipItToU.com/images/special/3DDowntown2Thumb.jpg[/image]
[url=www.ShipItToU.com/images/special/3DDowntown2.jpg]Another view off a roof top.  Crosseyed version.[/url]
[url=www.ShipItToU.com/images/special/3DDowntown2p.jpg]Click here for the parallel version.[/url]

[image]www.ShipItToU.com/images/special/3DElevHoistThumb.jpg[/image]
[url=www.ShipItToU.com/images/special/3DElevHoist.jpg]This is an elevator hoist.  Crosseyed version.[/url]
[url=www.ShipItToU.com/images/special/3DElevHoistp.jpg]Click here for the parallel version.[/url]

[image]www.ShipItToU.com/images/special/3DFountainThumb.jpg[/image]
[url=www.ShipItToU.com/images/special/3DFountain.jpg]This is a fountain we made of old electrical junk.  Crosseyed version.[/url]  The water comes out of a wire on the top.  I love this thing!
[url=www.ShipItToU.com/images/special/3DFountainp.jpg]Click here for the parallel version.[/url]

[image]www.ShipItToU.com/images/special/3DMortarThumb.jpg[/image]
[url=www.ShipItToU.com/images/special/3DMortar.jpg]A practice mortar shell.  Crosseyed version.[/url]
[url=www.ShipItToU.com/images/special/3DMortarp.jpg]Click here for the parallel version.[/url]

[image]www.ShipItToU.com/images/special/3DMortarAP1Thumb.jpg[/image]
[url=www.ShipItToU.com/images/special/3DMortarAP1.jpg]The mortar shell and an M2 AP penetrator.  Crosseyed version.[/url]
[url=www.ShipItToU.com/images/special/3DMortarAP1p.jpg]Click here for the parallel version.[/url]

[image]www.ShipItToU.com/images/special/3DMortarAP2Thumb.jpg[/image]
[url=www.ShipItToU.com/images/special/3DMortarAP2.jpg]Another view of the mortar shell and M2 AP penetrator.  Crosseyed version.[/url]
[url=www.ShipItToU.com/images/special/3DMortarAP2p.jpg]Click here for the parallel version.[/url]
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 10:59:22 AM EDT
[#1]
New & improved fountain picture uploaded.  [:)]
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 11:08:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Damn my head hurts now!!

Sorry no go for me.
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 11:25:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Added a poll.  If most people have trouble, I'll create parallel versions where you look beyond the screen instead of crossing your eyes.  Enjoy!
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 2:43:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Alright, since some of you seem to be having trouble, I've posted the parallel versions.  If you can't see the crosseyed images, you may be able to see these by focusing your eyes about a foot beyond your monitor.  If you could never see those Magic Eye 3D images, then you probably won't see these.  Most people *should* be able to see one type or the other, though.

The rest of you guys with a glass eye (a lot of veterans, I assume [:)]) will just have to skip the whole thing!

[Edited to add:]
The easiest one to see is the mortar shell that's laying down.  You might want to start with that one.
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 6:55:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Lots of lookers, but only 1 comment and a handful of visually handicapped voters.  Am I the only one that can see these?  What are your thoughts?
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 7:03:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Cool.
It didn't work for me. [;D]
I got a headache.

Maybe I'll try crossing my eyes when driving the Bus in Traffic!!!
Or, when the passengers board [%|]...yeah, that's when I'll do it!
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 8:05:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Lots of lookers, but only 1 comment and a handful of visually handicapped voters.  Am I the only one that can see these?  What are your thoughts?
View Quote
By any chance are you viewing these on a very small screen?  I got it to work, but I had to shrink the image size way down.  For the parallel ones, you have to focus beyond the screen so the two images appear to be four images.  Then get the middle two images to merge so you see three images.  The middle one should look 3d if you stare long enough.  That's the way I do it at least...and it is impossible to do so with the full size images because they are farther apart than the spacing between the eyes.

Edited to add:  I can't see the cross-eyed ones at all
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 8:14:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Yippee!  You got it!  Actually, the computer I used to make these has two 19" monitors.  I can see the effect even when each half is on its own monitor, but I have to move back quite a bit.

Your instructions are very helpful.  With the crosseyed versions, once I get focused in, I see a very sharp & clear 3D image in the middle flanked by blurry ones on each side.  Just focus on the middle.  You can see them coming together if you pick a point of reference.

The closer you are, the more you have to cross your eyes.  So, here's a guideline that works for me at least; if the image is 8" across, you might want to start with your head at least 16" away (2:1 ratio).  Move closer or farther if necessary.  Once you get the 3D effect going, you can move in close if you like.

The second one from the rooftop (with the water tower) is probably the hardest one to get, but the best demonstration of the effect.  It has LOTS of depth.

I think they're all ultra-cool, but then I'm prejudiced because I just learned how to do this yesterday.
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 8:24:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Finally got it to work! I used to the cross eyed versions to "learn" but once I had it down I could use either.

Cool post, thanks. It took my mind off of the BRC for about 12.5 minutes.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top