Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/31/2002 10:02:21 AM EDT
I'm thinking bout buying a notebook computer. I've done some homework but the more I look at the various machines, the more I get confused.

1. I want the machine to be able to play DVD movies without any glitches.

2. I need it to be able to surf the net and handle e-mail.

3. It will be my primary computer once I leave where I'm living at the moment and I will probably be a nomad for a while (hence a laptop purchase).

4. other than that it will primarily be used for word processing and personal finance stuff, especially if I go back to school to finish my degree (a very remote possibility between child support payments)

5. Need it to be budget priced under $1500.00, closer to $1200 if possible.

my biggest hurdles are trying to figure out the CPU type and speed(Intel- Pentium III/IV Celeron or AMD Duron Athlon etc), necessary RAM (128, 256 etc) and machine size/weight.

I've looked at DELL, Compaq/HP and Gateway.

Anyone out there have/use a notebook as their primary computer, I'd appreciate your input, likes, dislikes etc. Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 10:04:43 AM EDT
[#1]
A friend just got a Dell C610 and loves the hell out of it.  Came with DVD drive.

Get the fastest processor and the maximum RAM your wallet will support.
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 10:16:08 AM EDT
[#2]
I use one as my primary machine, and also work in the tech industry.  For what you're using it for, I could get you a used machine for around $700 that would fit all your needs.  Email me if you're interested.
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 10:19:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Funny, I have a Compaq 2701US that I am about to put on eBay.  Msg me for details, it would fall into your price range (I'd even cut the price a bit for an AR15.COMmer).

Lemme know.

the_reject
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 10:22:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Don't neglect Toshiba.  I've had three Toshiba laptops and every one of them has performed perfectly for me.
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 10:24:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 1:50:08 PM EDT
[#6]
[img]http://a1776.g.akamai.net/7/1776/51/3899ec404468d0/www.apple.com/ibook/images/index_top04232002.jpg[/img]

I replaced my desktop with one of these about a year ago, and couldn't be happier.

Small, thin, under 5 pounds, solid 4 hour batttery life, includes 1394, 100 Base T and dual USB ports, iPhoto, iMovie2, Appleworks, iTunes and Mac OS X software.
About $1500 with 256MB RAM, 20GB hard drive and built-in DVD/CD-RW drive.

[url]www.apple.com[/url].
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 1:57:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
[img]http://a1776.g.akamai.net/7/1776/51/3899ec404468d0/www.apple.com/ibook/images/index_top04232002.jpg[/img]

I replaced my desktop with one of these about a year ago, and couldn't be happier.

Small, thin, under 5 pounds, solid 4 hour batttery life, includes 1394, 100 Base T and dual USB ports, iPhoto, iMovie2, Appleworks, iTunes and Mac OS X software.
About $1500 with 256MB RAM, 20GB hard drive and built-in DVD/CD-RW drive.

[url]www.apple.com[/url].
View Quote

I agree get a Mac.
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 2:10:55 PM EDT
[#8]
smokycity,

I got my laptop for the exact same reasons you want yours.

I ended up getting a compaq 1200.

Cost brand new a year ago.  1199.00
Cpu speed Celeron 766
DVD player

Other than the comp. at work .. this is my main comp. I in no way regret not geting a desk top. I have two apts and it always goes with me.

the only complaint I have is that after a year the battery doesnt last as long..
Cant say any good/bad about the wieght since I carry it every day, its now a part of me.. feel naked without it so cant be that bad..

dont let people tell you a celeron will not handle a DVD player like my sells guy tried to do.. but at the time its all I could afford...  have never had it skip , stop , not play, or even breakup..

GoodLuck..

Link Posted: 5/31/2002 2:24:59 PM EDT
[#9]
I have used and worked on just about every brand of laptop out there.  In my opinion you can't beat dell.  Great machines, good price for what you get and good support.  

Mike
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 2:43:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Don't neglect Toshiba.  I've had three Toshiba laptops and every one of them has performed perfectly for me.
View Quote

Another vote for Toshiba. I presonally prefer the Toshiba Satellite 1905-S277. It is an Intel Pentium 4 1.60GHz / 15"TFT / 256MB / 30GB / DVD-CDRW / Windows XP Home / Notebook

[img]http://www.tigerdirect.com/images/SKUimages/medium/t24-s277b.jpg[/img]

I am saving for it right now. I just hope that I can get the money together before it becomes obsolete.
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 2:49:21 PM EDT
[#11]
I personally would go with a Toshiba.. They are damn near bullet proof(hard to kill off).

One option you might think about adding is a wireless LAN card. Lots of free access points for internet usage. Makes life on the road nice!
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 3:39:55 PM EDT
[#12]
stay far far away from the Sony Vaio i had nothing but problems with mine
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 5:24:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Thank you gentlemen. Darwindog and reject, I will take your offers into consideration. I think I want to get a new machine though, just a stigma about buying a used machine in my head.  I haven't ruled it out yet though as I have also considered a refurbished machine, so I will think about for a while longer.

I plan on taking a field trip to the local CompUSA/Best Buy later and will play with the machines and figure out what options and layouts I like.

And I thought picking accesories for my AR was difficult. [thinking]
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 5:45:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Check out Dells refurbed units. You get alot of bang for the buck plus the same warranty as a new unit.

Make sure you also purchase a docking station or "port replicator". These are slick as hell! When you bring your laptop home you simply place it into your docking station and have yourself a desktop pc. Yup, you'll be hooked up to your printer, full size keyboard and standard mouse. At the same time your battery (batteries) will be recharged!

I suggest the 15 inch screen esp. for use of a DVD player and games. I have a 4 year old Dell Inspiron 7000 NEVER had a problem........ur,well there was the time I spilled coffee on the keypad.

Good Luck and remember "Ya get what you pay for"!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top