Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/31/2002 3:10:14 AM EDT
I would literally beat my kid into an unrecognizable pulp... and his loser friends...

[b]Teens' party at mansion causes $1 million in damages[/b]

[i]DETROIT - The Michigan teenager simply invited a couple of friends over to play pool at his family's million-dollar Farmington Hills home, then left them to join his parents for Memorial Day at a cottage near Fenton, Mich.

But by the time the firefighters arrived early the next morning, a wrecking crew of his fellow teens had already fled, leaving behind a million-dollar mess.

Apparently the pool-shooting pals had big plans. Once their host had gone, according to Chief William Dwyer of the Farmington Hills Police Department, word began to spread that the big house was empty.

And by 3 a.m. Monday, a party in the house had degenerated into an orgy of looting and, ultimately, arson. Investigators say the damage could reach $1 million.[/i]

[url]http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/0530partydamage30-ON.html[/url]

Link Posted: 5/31/2002 3:17:45 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't know anything about that area but I assume rich, spoiled kids?

In all the years we had parties in high school (late 70's), I think the worst thing that happened is some lightweight kid would blow chow on the rug or there would be a fight out front. That was it.
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 3:25:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I don't know anything about that area but I assume rich, spoiled kids?

In all the years we had parties in high school (late 70's), I think the worst thing that happened is some lightweight kid would blow chow on the rug or there would be a fight out front. That was it.
View Quote

Farmington Hills is VERY affluent.

The worst we ever had was a frozen dinner that exploded onto the ceiling and some dead goldfish from trying to get them drunk... okay... so they weren't just goldfish... it was a nice saltwater tank with some good-sized sharks. But we never burned the place down. Most of our fire exploits were filling the bottom of the grill with lighter fluid and blowing the lid 30 feet into the air by torching the accelerant through a hole in the bottom. Nice little fireshow at 3 am only 2 blocks from the fire station. But at least we had the good sense to do it in the back yard.

Link Posted: 5/31/2002 4:07:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Similar thing happened here several years ago, the house was worth about 65k, but the pain I bet was greater. They could not rebuild.
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 4:39:28 AM EDT
[#4]
"Son, you know how you wanted to go to Harvard and work through to your PhD.?"

"Yeah dad?"

"Better get a really good job really fast, because your firends just fricasseed your college fund."

"b...b...but dad!"

"But nothing, and by the way, you are grounded until you are 21, your allowance is cut off and I sold your car, your CD collection, your video collection, your DVD collection, your stereo, your tv, your x-box, nintendo 64....well, you get the picture.  You have 4 pairs of blue jeans, 6 t-shirts, 5 pairs of socks, 1 pair of Converse All -Star sneakers, 1 pair of khaki pants, 2 dress shirts, 1 suit (off the rack) and couple ties and a cheap pair of black dress shoes. Oh yeah, I replaced your calvin Klein underwear with Hanes.  Now you get to see how the rest of the world lives.  Oh yeah, did I tell you the carpenter just finished your new room in the basement?  10 x 10 is all anyone should need.   You can use the Schwinn 10 speed in the garage to get to work and school. Better get cracking."

Really.  Since a member of the family precipitated the chain of events that led to the destruction, the insurance company ain't gonna be too quick to pay off that claim.

They also need to find out exactly who was there and did what and send those nasty little sh*t's to jail.  Harmless fun is when you throw a party and foul up the grass in the backyard and leave a mess in the pool area, but not so bad that you cannot clean the mess up in a hard weekend's work.  If the damage requires major renovations or professional skills to repair, it's criminal.
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 5:01:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
You have 4 pairs of blue jeans, 6 t-shirts, 5 pairs of socks, 1 pair of Converse All -Star sneakers, 1 pair of khaki pants, 2 dress shirts, 1 suit (off the rack) and couple ties and a cheap pair of black dress shoes. Oh yeah, I replaced your calvin Klein underwear with Hanes.
View Quote

Are you kidding? That's way more cloths than I had at any given time in high school. Maybe three pairs of jeans (sometimes just two), three t-shirts if I was lucky that semester, maybe two casual shirts, three pairs cotton socks, and one pair cheap tennis shoes. Also one pair dress slacks, one dress shirt, and one pair cheap black shoes for church. No suit, no way.

Nintendo? Hell, they hadn't even invented the PC when I was in high school. I had a record player and perhaps 10 albums. No phones, PDA, nothing. Of course, they were not invented yet. he he

Worst of all, I had a single-shot .22 and a single-shot 12-gauge.

I wish I had Imbroglio's collection!
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 5:53:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Heehehee,

Sorry, but I think that's hilariously funny.

I guess this kid's parents will just have to buy him another Porsche. (cliche)

-LS
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 6:42:40 AM EDT
[#7]
A similar thing happened several years ago when I was still living in Kansas City.  Several teens realized that a $500,000 home in Leawodd (that the owners were trying to sell) was vacant.  They proceeded to cover the windows with black paper so that no one could tell they were there.  They proceeded to have a 12 keg party and totally wrecked the place, doing over $250,000 damage.  

Funny thing was, when the cops came, all the kids ran out of the house into a nearby field.  All the cops had to do was go through the driveway and write down license plate numbers, and they caught everyone involved.

The thing that made me mad about this was that these were all rich kids.  All of there folks seemed to think that "they were just kids having a good time" and then bought their way out of trouble.  
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 6:46:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Boy Howdy,
My dad would have killed me and then disinherited me.  I too, at a young age, had one of those "weird science" parties.  The stairway railing pulled out of the wall.  Oven door ripped off the oven. Red wine on all the rugs. Loose women and drugs everywhere. My guitars smashed and guns and knife collection stolen.  My freshman year in high school was a memory I'd like to forget.  I was grounded that entire year.  Funny how I've gotten to be more like my father over time!!!
                  Gemologist
                  BLOAT[X]
                  BUY LOTS OF AMMO TODAY
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top