Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/30/2002 11:43:38 PM EDT
Anyone know what the requirements are to purchase a ar15 in Tennessee ?

and can you point me to a good FFL

*typo

HEhe
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 11:46:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 5:46:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Knowledge, I believe the only three things that are required are a TN. drivers license, be at least eighteen years of age, and have no felony record.  You should be good to go.

If you are in Middle TN. I would recommend Specialty Arms in LaVergne, or Mike's Saddle Shop in Triune.  Both places are good sources.  Speciality Arms has a good selection of "black rifles" and Mike at the saddle shop will order you anything at really good prices.

Gemologist
                 BLOAT [x]
                 BUY LOTS OF AMMO TODAY
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 5:52:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 6:11:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Hey Aimless
Believe that is Specialty Arms.  Bushmaster, Colt, Armrlite, Hk the list keeps going. This place is fifteen minutes from the airport in an industrial part of town.  Where are you from in NY?  Spent plenty of time in the Big Apple and in Nyack,NY.  Must admit TN is home.
                  Gemologist
                  BLOAT[X]
                  BUY LOTS OF AMMO TODAY  
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 6:25:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 6:36:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Let me know ahead of time if you have a day off while down here and I'll take you shooting!![uzi]
Plenty of toys to go around!!
                Gemologist
                BLOAT[X]
                BUY LOTS OF AMMO TODAY  
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 6:39:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 7:20:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Gemologist is right.  I bought a Bushy about a month ago in TN..  Didn't even matter that I'm a non-resident.  All you need is 4 things: 1).  Be 18 or over; 2). Have a driver's license; 3).  Have a clean record (at least clean enough to pass the NICS check; and 4). Wampum to purchase your new toy, extra Mags., ammo, etc., etc., etc.!  Have fun.  If it's your first, you are in for a treat - and I'm willing to bet it won't be your last!
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 9:08:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Knowledge
There are two gunshows this month in the Nashville area. One this weekend is at the Nashville fairgrounds and the next is the weekend of the 21-22 at the I-24 expo, although I think it has changed locations to some other building in Smryna?  Anyone know that for a fact???           Gemologist
                 BLOAT[X]
                 BUY LOTS OF AMMO TODAY
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 9:49:31 AM EDT
[#10]
My limited and possibly flawed understanding was that I-24 expo center made a fair amount of noise about being too good for gun show money about a year ago. Bob Pope (who's gunshow was attending) decided to part ways with I-24 when the current contract ran out.

The rumor mill has it that the next Bob Pope show will be at the old Wal-mart building in smyrna sometime this coming month (less rumor mill, more second hand info from some people who help with the show). Supposedly they are going to mail out postcards with the address and date on it, So If you've gotten the I-24 show reminders before watch your mailboxes!

So who's ordered what in through the Saddle shop? I'm about to order a handful of RRA stripped lowers and probably some imbel FAL recievers so It'd be good to re-establish a relationship with  a shop. What are they charging for use of their FFL?

(Sad, but true. I've turned into the kiss of death. Bought 2 arms from G&P in murfreesboro, there gone. Bought a 22/250 special ordered in from volunteer arms, they disappeared. Waiting for speciality arms to go next, got a sig 220 from them a year ago.. [:|] )
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 11:08:21 AM EDT
[#11]
TNSiglover
 The owners name is Mike, but all those guys over there are friendly.  I THINK he will charge only a $25 transfer fee.  That is what he quoted me last year.  I have spent a good bit of money with him though.  Give him a call and see what he says!
                  Gemologist
                  BLOAT[x]
                  BUY LOTS OF AMMO TODAY
                  P.S. THANKS FOR THE TIP ON THE BOB POPE SHOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![:D]

MURFREESBORO NEEDS ANOTHER GUNSTORE!!!!!!!
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 11:58:03 AM EDT
[#12]
In Knoxville, Bradford's has several Bushys and Colts in stock at this time as well as a few FALs and a sweet H&K USC, Randy's has a few Armalites a Bushy or two and a Wilson(?). Outdoor Sports has two Bushys and Benton Shooter Supply in Benton always has a ton of Bushys, Colts and such as well as a few H&Ks.

In the Chattanooga area Ammo Dump always has nice Armalites and Classic Pawn has tons of Olys and Bushys.  
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 10:05:57 PM EDT
[#13]
i've been thinking that for awhile, but doubt anything can come of it. We've got at least 3 pawnshops dealing in misc small arms, Wal-mart, big springs, the old army-navy surplus store (was friedmans, dunno what they are calling themselves now)

G&P was the only real gunshop in town as far as my opinion goes, but only rumor i've got is that it was dealt a quick death by a divorce.

No, strongly suspect there isnt enough market in town for one stocking the higher end stuff, or the little players would have stepped up.

I think someone with a kitchen FFL would probably be the best solution, who was willing to cooridinate local group buys for a small fee.. and order in things for same.
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 12:18:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Is there a waiting period in TN?
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 3:57:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Is there a waiting period in TN?

NO.
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 9:02:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Mattja.......about 5 minutes[:D]
TNSiglover...Yea I bet your right..M'boro isn't ready for a highline gunshop and thats a shame, maybey one day.  G&P was a nice place to find  rifles and pistols both new and used.  Damn shame about the divorce.  Did you ever see the Hk MP5 PDW they had w/Knight supp.??  Nice...I thought long and hard on that one a few days before they shut down.
                    Gemologist[x]
                    BLOAT
                    BUY LOTS OF AMMO TODAY
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 11:41:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Yep, I saw it. Also saw them get at least 2 tompson's through there doors. It was a good shop with good prices, but I strongly suspect they worked there asses off. They were out at every gun show I saw in the area pushing bushmaster ar15 assembled lowers and half there store stock.

Almost picked up a saiga 7.62x39 from them too. I think it could be done, but it'd have to be done right. Firearms are *not* (or so im told) high profit margin items. I really think pulling together enough people to be able to start doing truely *bulk* ammo buys and resell it local at about 5-10% profit, and leave the arms at almost cost would be the way to go.

But thats *ALOT* of ammo to manage to pay anyone on.

*scratches his head* ok.. this makes no sense. No, Im starting to think either G&P had something funny going on...

Or the other shops in the area either are charging a huge mark up or got some kink in there supply line kicking the price up 100%. I mean, $15 for a box of S&B hardball 40 or 45 just aint right.. nor is $600 for a nib base line glock. Oh well.
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 12:13:33 PM EDT
[#18]
For the location of the Pope show, see www.guns4you.org/

40MIKE
Link Posted: 6/2/2002 10:18:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I live in Oswego NY which is upstate north of Syracuse on Lake Ontario, but I'm in Nashville every month or so.

I think you are right-that's the place-Specialty Arms
Old Nashville Hwy, Lavergne, TN
(615) 793-9696

View Quote

We should meet up sometime, I used to work at Specialty. Give me a heads up when you next come in?
Link Posted: 6/2/2002 10:22:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Bob Pope (who's gunshow was attending) decided to part ways with I-24 when the current contract ran out.
(Sad, but true. I've turned into the kiss of death. Bought 2 arms from G&P in murfreesboro, there gone. Bought a 22/250 special ordered in from volunteer arms, they disappeared. Waiting for speciality arms to go next, got a sig 220 from them a year ago.. [:|] )
View Quote

FWIW, G&P moved to Woodbury or Wartrace, I can't recall which. Now known as Hugh's Guns or some such. I believe he only does Western type guns now.

As for the Expo Center, Pope's contract ran out. The Expo Center went to hell in a handbasket after Pope sold it. Bob merely said adios. The new show is indeed at the old Wally World building June 22 & 23 & Specialty will be there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top