Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/30/2002 4:19:11 PM EDT
Well, I finally bought a CD burner. I've tried copying a few CD's, and they all skip (the copied ones). Let me give you some background.

I loaded the program in once. But then realized that I had an old USB1 port, so I then installed the USB2 chip that came with it, and plugged the line directly into that. I then loaded the driver CD in (I think I loaded it correctly).

Anyway, I've been using memorex 16X discs, and have recorded at everywhere between 8X to 16X. It still always skips.

I've got a 1998 Dell with Windows 2000 and a Pentium 2.

I know this is long winded and complicated, but does anybody know why I might be having this problem?

The only other thing I can tell you is that when trying to burn at higher speeds, it automaticly checks the "load into hardrive first" icon. I figure that the system would take care of that, and also, it still skips at 8X anyway.

Link Posted: 5/30/2002 4:30:42 PM EDT
[#1]
There are lots of reasons why this could be happening, and a lot of variables that contribute to the problem.  Rather than trying to explain it all in this post, here's a link to some good tips to help you avoid this problem.  Try anything on this list that you think might be a factor with your existing setup on your computer.  They're all good tips.  Good luck!  [;)]

[url]http://www.epinions.com/content_1041473668[/url]
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 4:33:13 PM EDT
[#2]
If you are burning CDs, make sure to close all other programs that are running. For me, this includes even the screen saver. I also turn off the printer and reboot the PC 'coz it has a polling/two-way communication feature.

If this does not work, try a slower speed and if this still will not work, buy a more expensive CDR. If this still does not work, download some other burning software.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 4:49:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't burn at higher than 4x.  I don't care what the drive says it can burn at, it can't.  At least not reliably for audio.

As was mentioned close all programs.

Don't do ANYTHING else on computer while burning.

Your problems should dissapear.

Mike

Edited to add:  If problems persist after the above, use a program like musicmatch jukebox to encode your CD to MP3 files on your computer first, then burn a CD from those files (they should be automatically converted to CDDA format, which is the standard format for audio CD's).  I have used this method before to get around skipping problems.

Link Posted: 5/30/2002 5:04:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't know how much it would help, but it might not be a bad idea to De-frag your hard drive before you burn CDs.
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 6:21:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the help so far guys. Got a couple more questions.

I've got Real Audio and Real Jukebox downloaded already. Could I record a CD to there and then record to CD via the burner? And would that be considered recording it to my hard drive? And would that maybe clear up my problem?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top