Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/30/2002 7:27:29 AM EDT
I would like to see all of the commercial airline pilots begin a nation-wide strike for the right to be armed with a pistol while in the cockpit.  

This strike should begin at midnight, July 4th, and continue until our misguided government sees reason.

I realize the chaos this would cause in the personal lives of thousands of people, the loss of millions of dollars in the national economy, and possibly bring about the demise of an airline or two.  But the next terrorist hijacking will do these things anyway!

I am not a pilot, but I have the utmost trust in their judgement, skill, dedication, and professionalism.

Regards,
Pepper
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 7:47:05 AM EDT
[#1]
I have been thinking about this very thing.  It seems to me that the pilots have almost unlimited power to change things here.  Such a strike would, in effect, shut down much of the country.  Replacing pilots would not be the same as replacing AT controllers, a la Reagan.  The airlines, American public and the Fed. would not accept replacement pilots en masse.  I suspect that the Fed. is betting that the majority of pilots do not feel strongly enough about this to strike and has taken the "gun control" position simply because it politically expedient.  In the longer view, I suspect the proliferation of weapons on airlines would have a defacto, positive influence on gun rights.

Link Posted: 5/30/2002 7:59:07 AM EDT
[#2]
ALPA has the infrastructure in place to conduct a nation-wide Suspension of Service.  It's been termed "ALPA's Nuke."  Just like any nuke, there is alot of collateral damage.  Even though ALPA is for armed pilots as is the general public, the issue isn't quite as pivotal in the live's of the line pilot as one might think.  The SOS is reserved for fundamental, precedent setting issues, such as pivotal safety issues (terrorism being important, of course, but not all that likely), the wholesale abrogation of labor contracts, the criminalization of routine errors, major threats to Captain's Authority, and the like.  A nationwide strike would of course be illegal, as all airline workers are governed by the Railway Labor Act which places elaborate legal roadblocks in front of a wildcat strike.
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 8:00:47 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't even like unions, but the idea of them striking to be able to exercise their right to bear arms in the air is great.
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 8:06:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
A nationwide strike would of course be illegal, as all airline workers are governed by the Railway Labor Act which places elaborate legal roadblocks in front of a wildcat strike.
View Quote

I suspected as much.

Still, I would support such a strike. I'd even join the picket line.

Which is something for me, and avowed union hater, to say.

Link Posted: 5/30/2002 8:15:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Not just the pilots!  If citizens do not book flights on a national 'no fly day' in protest of the Bush Admininstration using military fighters to finish the job that a terrorist starts, I am with them.  

If there are NO PASSENGERS, the pilots won't need to fly anyway.[:D]

The national boycott will make the gov't take notice, the lack of income will get the attention of the airline industry.  

The airline industry is fighting hard against arming pilots.  After all, if they lose a plane due to terrorists or lax security, the gov't gives them our tax money.  Why should they assume any liability for armed pilots, either way they win. [:(!]
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 10:56:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Garandman,

I agree, I would support this and join a picket line.  I'm not union member, or even a union supporter in general.  A union exists to take action that it's memebers feel is necessary when their employers or government will not.

They could easily call-in sick, en mass, for just the one day!  If the issue is not resolved they could call-in sick again on 9/11, 2002.

Regards, Pepper
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top