Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/29/2002 10:27:42 PM EDT
I'm thinking of going down there for a long weekend of partying. We're planning to stay at the Festival Plaza hotel.

Anybody have any info that might help me get the best rate?

Anything I should be sure not to miss?

Anything to watch out for?
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 11:42:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Anything I should be sure not to miss?

Anything to watch out for?
View Quote

Nothing much to miss.  The place is really two major streets (if you can call them that) perpendicular to each other.

Like most places in Mexico, it's a shithole...
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 11:49:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I've stayed there twice.

Don't try to buy drugs at the pharmacy

If you want to save money check out www.sneakywristbands.com

I bought a bottle of the clear Bacardi rum, and it tasted different than it does in America, and it was really distgusting.  You should think about buying small bottles first.

Don't fall off the balcony, I know a girl that did at that hotel and f###ed up her face

If there is a foam party, don't try to dive into the foam from the 3rd story, its not like water, you'll just fly through it and split your head.  This happened to some idiot at that hotel not too long ago.

Also, be ready to bribe the elevator guy if you want to brig a non hotel guest up to your room.
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 6:13:49 AM EDT
[#3]
I've eaten her canned refried beans.  Pretty good. [;)]
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 8:49:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Download a song by the Long Beach Dub All Stars called, "Rosarito."
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 9:28:05 AM EDT
[#5]
I was down there about 10 years ago.

Don't miss Lobster town or village or whatever it's called, everyone will know what you're talking about.  Excellent food and so cheap you'll be amazed.  Every restaraunt is identical, so are the menus, go to one that's not crowded.

I suggest avoiding multiple story nightclubs, that swaying to the rythmic beat is not you, it's the whole plywood and staples STRUCTURE, no such thing as a building code.

Also Avoid:

Parasailing
Fireworks (although they are sold on the street, I saw a guy buy some in full view of Federales, walk to a deserted part of the beach, I mean no one and nothing wes around, and light a few black cats.  He was dragged away by the Feds.
Drugstores
Any beverage without an ENGLISH label, and look at them closely, they are pretty good at faking it.
Watch getting there at night, it's a shitty little road with no lights and there were rocks and little landslides all over the place.  It's been pretty dry lately, so you should be OK in that department.
Be SUPER careful driving through town, there is a 2 lane road flanked by very wide dirt shoulders, the locals, especially cabbies, drive in EVERY direction on the shoulders, it's very disturbing.

Good Luck.
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 10:03:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Don't miss Lobster town or village or whatever it's called, everyone will know what you're talking about.  Excellent food and so cheap you'll be amazed.  Every restaraunt is identical, so are the menus, go to one that's not crowded.
View Quote

Mmmmmmmmm lobster....

I worked in San Diego for a year and whenever anyone came out from the company we took them down to Ensenada for a day.  On the way home we stopped in "Lobster town" (can't remember the real name).  $30.00 got you a humongous lobster split in two (the "Extra-Large") and grilled, tostadas, beans, rice, veggies, and a pile of beers.

Great place to visit!
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 3:59:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Lobster Town Is called Puerto Nuevo
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 4:46:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Call me cheap and sleazy... but I really like that place.
I like to load up on the fireworks and shoot them off on the beach at night.There is a small fireworks store on a side street near the beach that has the best prices.It has a big firecracker bomb looking thing by the entrance.
I stay at the Rosarito Beach hotel (or something like that) and normally eat else where.
There is a resturant on the beach side of the street that has the best food, I can't remember the name but part of it has a patio with a plastic cover and reeks with mesquite.
My wife wrecked an ATV there and had to get stitches.Not a good thing.She wasn't given any local pain reliever but the stiches looked good and didn't scar.
As far as drugs at the pharmacia... I load up every time.The trick on that is politely describe your ailment and buy by the large box.
When Shelley got into her accident I asked for a pill that keep her asleep from there to the Bay Area and they sold me a box of Rohipnol (sp?).Needless to say we dumped the rest of that powerful shit out.I like to buy valuim there for my bad back.
Maybe thay sell to me because I look like a sober old fart. Who knows?
Over all that area is what it is and if you don't expect much you'll have a good time.
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 2:51:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for all the info guys. We just booked at the Festival Plaza for Labor Day Weekend. I'm expecting to need a new liver when I return.  [beer]
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 2:57:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Been there many a time. Primarily for boozing and lounging on the beach. Don't forget to hit Papa's and Beer....Here's their website:

[url]http://www.papasandbeer.com/[/url]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top