Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/29/2002 10:00:57 PM EDT
just heard that if americans had better fuel economy on our cars that we would rely less on fogien oil..

I disagree.

Just like someone all of a sudden making more money.. do they suddenly live within thier means ... no we simply spend more.

Yup... trying to start a real thread  here
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 10:45:51 PM EDT
[#1]

[url]http://www.nationalreview.com/nrof_bartlett/bartlett052902.asp[/url]
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 11:25:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Sure, if cars were more fuel-efficient, we might use less oil, but so what?

I've heard liberals like Bill Maher whining ever since 9/11 that if we weren't addicted to oil from the middle east that we wouldn't have to fight wars for oil.

The fact of the matter is that very little of the oil we import comes from the middle east.  Of the oil we import, only 12% comes from Saudi Arabia, 5.8% comes from Iraq, and 1.8% comes from Kuwait.  These are the 2001 numbers from [url]http://www.ita.doc.gov/td/industry/otea/usfth/aggregate/H01t33.pdf[/url].

So we can do without Middle East oil.

Unfortunately, Europe and Japan are far more dependent on Middle East oil than we are.  ...and since the value of trade between the US and Europe is something like $2 trillion per year, anything that hurts the European or Japanese economies ultimately hurts ours.

So if you're getting at the question of how do we insulate ourselves from problems related to foreign oil, we're essentially doing everything we can reasonably be expected to do.

Bush's plan to increase domestic production and create incentives for the development of more efficient products is a wise move looking forward.
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 12:21:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Hmmm, I am having trouble relating the fuel economy/money analogy (sp?).  Anyhow, about two years ago I got this attatchment for my fuel line that breaks up the air/fuel mixture on my 99 Subaru. I forgot what the name of it was but I'll check tommorow. (its 1:15am and I don't want to go outside). Anyhow, this thing claimed it would increase my gas milage by up to 27%. I did not recieve that much of an increase in milage, more like 7% but for $30 bucks it was worth it. But back to the subject. If everyone put one of these things on thier car, we would consume 7% less gasoline in our cars and reduce our dependancy on foriegn oil, Right?
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 3:32:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Gotta’ love those magnets on the fuel lines, put them on your water lines and they soften the water, put ‘em on you and they cure your hurts’. They work the same as that fabled “200MPG” carb that ‘big oil’ is hiding.
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 3:57:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Hey! What do you have against magnets? I use magnets all the time to hold post-it notes to the metal plate inside my head! Works great and I never lose a message. [:D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top