Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/29/2002 5:21:58 PM EDT
I am a 19 year old asthma kid, halfway through college and for most of my life have wanted to join the military (most likely as a Marine).  I had my so-called dreams crushed when I was in high school and talked with recruiters but my questions is this.  

I know that Asthma is disqualifying, but is there any way I can be a part of the military?  I seriously looked to join as a reservist at least until I finished school but am almost positive I can't do it.  Does anybody know anything about this that I don't?
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 5:24:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 5:27:12 PM EDT
[#2]
There is a way around it as I know of a few Marines who have asthma that are in  
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 6:17:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
There is a way around it as I know of a few Marines who have asthma that are in  
View Quote

MG,

There is no difference in the physical standards to which active duty Marines and reserve Marines are held to. But....
Can you (or Do you) regularly run 3 miles in under 28 minutes, without ever having to use an inhaler? Have you actually had an attack lately? Or even in the last 5 years? You know, allergies are often misdiagnosed and treated as asthma in childhood. Are you still sure that you really have asthma? Nor should you confuse an asthma attack with the heavy, labored breathing everybody is subject to after a good hard run.

If you can max out the 100 crunches in 2 minutes and do 20 deadhang pullups, a 28:00 minute (less is always better! 28:01 is a failing time) run time will still yield a 1st class PFT score. Do that regularly or improve, without complaint, and no one will question it. If you were to use it as an excuse for failure later, it would be fraudulent enlistment on your part, and subject to punishment.
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 6:27:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I know that Asthma is disqualifying
View Quote

Not if you lie. Can you hide it well enough to get by? If you can and they find out later, they will retain you if you are a decent troop. Nobody gets in deep doo-doo for fraudulent enlistment unless it was monetary fraud. Do what you want to do, just don't get caught. We had a guy with petit mal epilepsy in my unit, he just pretended he was stupid and took his valium.
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 6:32:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
We had a guy with petit mal epilepsy in my unit, he just pretended he was stupid and took his valium.
View Quote

WTF?!?!? How did he ever pass a urinalysis? Or does this story predate the armed forces testing for illegal drug use?
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 6:42:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Hmmm, I have asthma and have like you always wanted to be in the military. I'm 18 now so I'm gonna lay off using my medicine as much as possible to see if it is still a real problem.
I'd love to join the Reserves..
[marines]

*Edited to add, now that I think about it I really have not had any wheezing for at least a couple of years*
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 6:47:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Hmmm, ...I'd love to join the Reserves..
[marines]
View Quote

You listen well, Grasshopper.

Semper Fi
Dave
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 7:59:59 PM EDT
[#8]
From what I have read, the only way to get an Asthma waiver is if it was misdiagnosed as a child.  I am 100% sure I still have asthma, and have not had an asthma attack within 5 years, but I know I still have it.  It doesn't slow me down one bit and I have never used it as an excuse for anything, I don't even tell people I have it anymore.

However, at the same time, I understand why I am disqualified.  My stepbrother is active duty right now in Pensacola and he doesn't know any way around it.  I do not need an inhaler on a regular basis, but I wouldn't feel comfortable without one handy or lying since I am not sure it won't flair up again.  

Basically, my disappointment stems from simply not being able to do it.  I am not in shape physically yet, but I know that if I worked hard I would be able to hold my own.  I know that I can have a bright career ahead of me if I just got my degree and went into some business field, but I feel it is my duty to in some way serve my country, I am simply not able to.  My relatives fought and died in every war all the way back to the Revolution, and I want to carry on that legacy in some way, not only for my family's sake, but for my sake as well.

However, as a kid asthma was a serious problem, and although I never have problems anymore, I wouldn't want to have to puff an inhaler when the SHTF.  I more or less knew the answer to this post before I posted it, but I just wanted to get everyone's thoughts anyway.  I appreciate all your responses, and godspeed to those of you who do serve.
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 8:09:24 PM EDT
[#9]
I wouldn't lie about anything that exists on record.  They have access to medical/psych records because when you enlist you sign a form releasing them to the military.  If you have asmatic problems, but a doc never diagnosed you with it, and theres no medical form saying anything about it, then you should be okay.  Supposedly, a fraud enlistment discharge is a felony offense so be careful.  

I went through the meps/medical stuff a few months ago so its fairly fresh on my mind.  What they should do is let boot camp act as the weeding out process - not the meps docs.

Edited to say finish college first...  
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 8:16:42 PM EDT
[#10]
MisterGreens, I know two kids that had bad asthma when they were little that are now Marine officers.  Most of the cases of childhood asthma I've seen have almost 100% cured themselves.  Before giving-up, see if you can find a doctor that can tell you whether or not you still have it.  Just because you had to use an inhaler when you were younger doesn't mean it's still a problem.  Again, I've seen a plenty of kids with breathing problems that got much better as they got older.  Of course, you can answer the question better than us whether or not you are well enough now.  Also, I'd try to work on the requirements.  If you can tell the recruiter you can meet them, they might be able to find a way to make it happen.  Of course talking to them on the last day of the month (when they're trying to meet a quota) can't hurt.z
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 8:21:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
We had a guy with petit mal epilepsy in my unit, he just pretended he was stupid and took his valium.
View Quote

WTF?!?!? How did he ever pass a urinalysis? Or does this story predate the armed forces testing for illegal drug use?
View Quote

He had a prescription "for his nerves". If you have a prescription you can get away with most stuff in the military. Also, the test for 4 things, opioids, amphetamines, cannabinoids, and coca alkaloids. Valium isn't in there.
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 8:25:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
From what I have read, the only way to get an Asthma waiver is if it was misdiagnosed as a child.  I am 100% sure I still have asthma, and have not had an asthma attack within 5 years, but I know I still have it.  It doesn't slow me down one bit and I have never used it as an excuse for anything, I don't even tell people I have it anymore.

However, at the same time, I understand why I am disqualified.  My stepbrother is active duty right now in Pensacola and he doesn't know any way around it.  I do not need an inhaler on a regular basis, but I wouldn't feel comfortable without one handy or lying since I am not sure it won't flair up again.  

Basically, my disappointment stems from simply not being able to do it.  I am not in shape physically yet, but I know that if I worked hard I would be able to hold my own.  I know that I can have a bright career ahead of me if I just got my degree and went into some business field, but I feel it is my duty to in some way serve my country, I am simply not able to.  My relatives fought and died in every war all the way back to the Revolution, and I want to carry on that legacy in some way, not only for my family's sake, but for my sake as well.

However, as a kid asthma was a serious problem, and although I never have problems anymore, I wouldn't want to have to puff an inhaler when the SHTF.  I more or less knew the answer to this post before I posted it, but I just wanted to get everyone's thoughts anyway.  I appreciate all your responses, and godspeed to those of you who do serve.
View Quote

So go on in. Nobody has access to your civilian medical records. If you do well in OSUT or whatever and serve then great. If at some point in your period of service you suddenly develop asthma, they will give you an inhaler like they do with most new cases that come up, and you will continue to serve. Especially if you are in some CMF other than combat arms.

Go do your thing kid.
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 8:27:46 PM EDT
[#13]
If you think can hack the training, LIE, LIE, LIE! I have a heart murmor(a disqualifing condition), yet I made it though Army basic and Airborne school. If you can hack it, and i think you can, go for it! Lets face it, as a Marine its your job to die anyway, so why not?

And if you die from your athesma in training, your family will get $250,000[:)], so its no biggie
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 8:49:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Yeah, being 4F is a motherfucking bitch (don't edit that mods, because that's exactly what it is).

Yeah, if you can sneak past it without them noticing for Christ sakes try at least. All they have is what their docs say. My buddy might have a heart condition. DOD doesn't know it exists.

On a related note, I had a USNA Mid 3/C pass me in the airport in whites. I couldn't bring myself to look twice.

Fucking doctors.
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 10:30:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Mistergreens,

If you want to serve your country and can't join the military, why not become a police officer? We do battle on the streets everyday man. [X]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top