Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/29/2002 2:42:21 PM EDT
Isreali Spokesman Shlomo Dror says we don't have an airport security system but a system for bothering people. He says they(Isreal)look for terrorists while we just look for weapons although he admits their system is not infallible. I tend to agree, what say you.
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 2:46:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Isreali Spokesman Shlomo Dror says we don't have an airport security system but a system for bothering people.
View Quote

[img]http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/biggrin2.gif[/img] Link for this?
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 2:49:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Agreed, 100%

We know what works, but it would cost too much money or has too much political baggage.

Armed Pilots - opposed by Airlines (possible lawsuits

Armed Passengers - you kidding? not in this universe/lifetime - major political fallout.

Profiling - political fallout

Missles at critical Installations - political fallout

Stricter Immigration/Visa control - political fallout/expense.

We know what to do. We just don't have the leadership with the cajones to do it. So the next time the terrorists strike and people die, remember, it was probably because the fix cost too much or someone was afraid of being not re-elected.

I'm just glad that when the nuke goes off in NY or DC, I'm out west, away from the prevailing winds.

-legrue
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 2:51:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm sorry, saw it on Fox News Channel. The fact that I couldn't dream up the name Shlomo Dror in a million years should lend a little credibility in itself.
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 2:52:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Slam away I say. The present system is a bad joke.
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 4:50:19 PM EDT
[#5]
We are to concerned about being politically correct to implent an effective security plan
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 5:03:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 5:07:46 PM EDT
[#7]
DoubleFeed, we should actually make that movie. It would be cool. [:D]
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 5:14:23 PM EDT
[#8]
El Al has a great record, and very strict security.  Americans are NOT, however, willing to put up with the inconveniences required by such a tight grip.

Honestly, isn't that what most people here complain the most about?  Infringements on our various freedoms?  How you gonna feel being watched, questioned, delayed, and searched even more than now?

Is this any indication of the response such a probram would get?  

"Don't worry about *me* - it's the *other guy* you gotta watch!"

[url]http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=120591[/url]

Interesting article:

[url]http://www.cnn.com/2001/WORLD/meast/09/26/rec.el.al.security/[/url]
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 5:49:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Israel has one airport (I believe) and about 35 aircraft.  We're comparing kumquats and watermelons.

As for the U.S. system, I believe we can be truly safe if the time to get through security could be extended to about 7 hours.
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 6:00:13 PM EDT
[#10]
sub-sailor,

We will never be perfectly safe, we will only hope to maintain the illusion of safety.  That is something most Americans are very good at.

More details on El Al...

[url]http://www.usatoday.com/news/attack/2001/10/01/elal-usat.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 6:18:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
sub-sailor,

We will never be perfectly safe......
View Quote

Alright, alright what if we inconvenience everyone for 9 hours ??  (And hire only non-english speakers for security ?)
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 6:47:15 PM EDT
[#12]

[/quote]

Alright, alright what if we inconvenience everyone for 9 hours ??  (And hire only non-english speakers for security ?)[/quote]

and that would be different from now?

ian
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 7:16:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Alright, alright what if we inconvenience everyone for 9 hours ??  (And hire only non-english speakers for security ?)
View Quote

and that would be different from now?

ian
View Quote

-----------------------------------------------

We very well may have to resort to overnight inconvenience and hire only those mute (or willing to have a tonguectomy) to be truly safe.
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 7:21:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Nevermind the numbers of flights an aircraft our system IS based on political correctness. At least Isreal takes it seriously enough to breath rather harshly down your neck, so far if your a decent looking woman our guys will take it seriously enough to grab your cooter an blow in your ear, an don't some of you guys laugh too hard the Gov. has taken matters seriously enough to decide you can't do anything about that, so if some flaming queen security guard decides you look fine well........oh an God forbid your caught with a pocket knife you'll probably find your time taken up for more than 9 hrs an thats a joke in itself, the only reason the terrorists got away with using that ploy was passengers an crew thought it would be a land somewhere an negotiate ordeal(i'm not sure if fake bombs were used on all flights I heard at one time they weren't but you never know). I'm sure we're doing some things right but seem to waste alot of time and expense doing alot of things wrong.
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 7:48:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Isreali Spokesman Shlomo Dror says we don't have an airport security system but a system for bothering people. He says they(Isreal)look for terrorists while we just look for weapons although he admits their system is not infallible. I tend to agree, what say you.
View Quote

I absolutely agree.

There's no question in my mind that it will take [i]at least[/i]  one more huge terrorist act that claims thousands of American lives before this country truly rises from it's complacent slumber.

Or maybe just an unpleasant string of suicide bombings, here in the U.S. A crowded movie theater on the eve of a big premier, an elementary school on opening day......on and on and on.

America needs to turn our boarders in to a police state for anyone from an Islamic nation that isn't a citizen of this country. Airports are a port of entry through our boarders, they should be some of the most heavily policed areas in the world.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top