Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/29/2001 9:26:37 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/29/2001 9:35:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I can't see the photo, but large snakes eat people all the time.

Kyle
Link Posted: 3/29/2001 9:37:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Ok, I must admit that is quite disturbing...if only he had his AR with him after he had gotten swallowed...

damn
Link Posted: 3/29/2001 9:41:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Now I can see the picture, I have seen this one before, and it is real. If I remember correctly the original source was a "National Geographic" photographer.

Kyle
Link Posted: 3/29/2001 10:04:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/29/2001 10:31:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeesh!  I bet that smells!
Link Posted: 3/29/2001 10:34:20 PM EDT
[#6]
That is just the Amazon version of turducken.
Link Posted: 3/29/2001 11:59:13 PM EDT
[#7]
the pic probably came from rotten.com  i think i saw it there before, among other things.
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 12:26:38 AM EDT
[#8]
It's a hoax you guys..

come on..look at the bottom photo for example, there is no way possible that's a real boy. There is no room for his head, upper body, arms, etc.

And of a person that size, how could a snake possibly even get it's mouth around the person body? again look at photo on how big the kid is.

Captin Obvious
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 12:30:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Here's another series, starting with the engorged snake:

[url]www.internettrash.com/users/snake_man/snake1.html[/url]

Where is the "Croc Hunter" (Steve Irwin from the Discovery Channel) when you need him?

[i]
Do snakes ever eat people?
None of the snakes that live in the United States are big enough to eat people. Most snakes eat only insects, mice, and other small animals. But there are two kinds of snakes that occasionally feast on a human being. Pythons (which can be found only in Asia and Africa) and anacondas (found only in South America) are the two man-eaters. These snakes are not poisonous. They kill their prey by wrapping thjemselves around it and squeezing it to death. [/i]

[i]Do large snakes like the python and the anaconda eat people? Occasionally such attacks are recorded in the wild. In 1972 a python in Burma ate an eight-year-old boy. In 1927 there was the story about a jeweler called Maung Chit Chine. He hid under a tree during a rain storm and afterward his friends could only find his hat and shoes. When they killed a nearby gouged Python, they found the rest of Chines' body, swallowed feet first (though this seems opposite to normal snake behavior) and whole, inside the snake.

Pythons are not poisonous but kill their prey by wrapping round it and crushing it to death.  They then swallow the prey whole thanks to elastic ligaments in the jaw that expand.  The largest of pythons can swallow a pig.  It has been known for pythons to swallow humans, but the python needs to be at least 25ft long before it can do this due to the fact that the jaws on the smaller snakes are not wide enough to get round the shoulders

Strangely enough, many big snakes attack humans not in the jungle, but in suburbia. Pythons are often kept as pets, but can turn deadly without warning. In 1993 in Colorado, a 15-year-old boy weighing 95 pounds was attacked by the family's python. The snake was only of medium size being 11 feet long and weighing 53 pounds, yet was able to kill the boy, though it made no attempt to eat him.[/i]

Captain Obvious, I demote you to Sergeant Obvious.

Link Posted: 3/30/2001 12:40:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Yeah, I deserve that, after my typo... [%|]
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 12:48:30 AM EDT
[#11]
[i]Cartoonist Gary Larson, of The Far Side, also had a close call with a Burmese python he had raised from a baby. According to Larson he realized he was "living with a gigantic predator with a very small brain" one day when it tried to do him in.[/i]

[img]www.ar15.com/forums/images/smiles/smiley_freak.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 1:33:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Anyone got a picture of a Komodo Dragon eating someone?

Yes, they can do it too.
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 5:04:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Snopes.com (urban legands) says it's a fake.

[url]http://www.snopes.com/horrors/animals/anaconda.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 5:08:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Snopes.com (urban legands) says it's a fake.

[url]http://www.snopes.com/horrors/animals/anaconda.htm[/url]
View Quote

That's good to know he didn't suffer the same fate as he would if he had fallen into the Pit of Sarlac.
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 6:01:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Any untamed snake over 25' (depending on girth) is dangerous and could consider man for a nice lunch. A guy that works at Serpent Safari in my home town found that out the hard way. He was feeding a Reticulated (sp?) Python, when it decided that it would rather have him for dinner. The snake wrapped up on him and everything. It would have killed and eaten him if another employee didnt stab it. A snake the size of the one in that picture definately could have eaten that boy.
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 6:21:13 AM EDT
[#16]
My daughter has a five foot long red-tail Boa, usually called a Boa Constrictor.  That's what the snake in the picture is.  Lots of fun to play with.  It started out about a foot long a couple of years ago.  We fed it frozen & thawed out mice & now rats.  The bigger the snake gets, the bigger the rodent it eats.  Last week, it got its first "medium" rat.  It really was too big, but the snake squeezed it & crushed it and tried about four different positions & finally got it down.   Quite entertaining.  

The snake was about double its usual diameter where the rat was.  It slept for about four days afterwards.  The snake in the picture looks to be about four or five times bigger where the kid is.  Might be possible for a really big snake.

If the big ones are anything like our little one, they move really slowly.  I have to dangle the rat in front of its nose for awhile.  A kid would have to be [i]really[/i] inattentive to get caught.  Half the time the snake misses when it strikes, and that's with me [i]trying[/i] to feed it..  Typically, it will grab the rat by the face and throw two or three coils around the rat, "killing" it even though it's already dead.  After a couple of minutes, the snake will loosen up and start swallowing.  The rat goes in nose first.  It's more like the snake crawls aroung the rat.

At least it doesn't bark, you don't need to walk it and it doesn't claw up the furniture.  I can't wait 'til it's big enough to eat cats.  [:)]

Norm
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 6:40:44 AM EDT
[#17]
[red]..can't wait 'til it's big enough to eat cats.[/red]
View Quote

ROFLMAO Norm!
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 6:55:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Ever see a Bushmaster snake???? Those are some mean mammyjammy`s They aren`t big enough to eat a small person but they are faster than most people on a dead run.
Pythons have been known to eat small deer. Anacondas too.
I say kill them all. I hates snakes.
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 7:03:50 AM EDT
[#19]
I had a friend who would take the one or two of the free kitties from people giving them away in front of the stores and he would feed them to his python. He tried to get kitties from the animal shelters around where he lived, but they had too much BS paperwork to deal with.
I like cats, but I figured that the snake had to eat, and if the people who owned the cat in the first place really gave a shit about the cat they would of had "fluffy" fixed before they had to get rid of a bunch of unwanted kitties.

Link Posted: 3/30/2001 7:31:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Actually the snake pictured is in fact a Burmese Python.....a rather impressvie one at that.
Although a snake that size could consume a child as large as the one in the photo (this is not horribly uncommon) I seriously question its authenticity. As best as I can tell, judging from picture, the snake would had to have swallowed the victim feet first. Constrictors will always consume their prey head first. The reasons are the prey, if not fully dead, cannot struggle as well, fight (bite) back once their head is inside the snakes jaws and the suffication process will continue.

I used to raise Burmese and Royal (commonly called "Ball") Pythons and large Monitor lizards. Interesting critters that, if one is willing to spend the time with one, can be surprisingly intelligent.
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 7:38:05 AM EDT
[#21]
. I have to dangle the rat in front of its nose for awhile. A kid would have to be really inattentive to get caught
View Quote

Snakes are hard to feed while someone is watching them. I would have to leave the room to get my Ball Python to eat most of the time. Snakes are stalkers, so they like to take their sweet ass time with feeding, but if they see an opportunity (especially in the wild), for instance if a kid walks right next to one without noticing, they are likely to strike.
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 8:05:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Anyone got a picture of a Komodo Dragon eating someone?

Yes, they can do it too.
View Quote

In one piece?
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 9:49:44 AM EDT
[#23]
I saw a snake at the L.A. zoo that was maybe about 17 feet long and about 30-32 inches in circumference. It was kinda fat looking, and had to weigh about 200 pounds. If this sucker was twice as long, I guarantee that it could swallow a man. They eat deer and pigs in the wild, a boy wouldn't be that hard for a big snake to eat.
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 9:58:10 AM EDT
[#24]
Saw it happen on a episode of Southpark, must be true, pooped out the skeleton.
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 10:07:56 AM EDT
[#25]
That croc hunter's crazy, but he does his job well. I think he likes the small, poisonous, kill you with one strike snakes more than the big man-eaters, though. [:D]

[i](With bad aussie accent) Now, I'm in absoleutly no dangah... [/i]
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 2:09:38 PM EDT
[#26]
I have seen numerous photos of large snakes swallowing small deer and the like´s, not positive on those pics, but IT IS POSSIBLE
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 8:09:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Am I the only one that thinks it is sad that they killed the snake. It is very possible that a Burmese of that size could eat a human; since most of their diet could consist of even larger prey. I don't think the snake hunted down the guy and should have been left to live. Or atleast they should have sent it to me afterwords to make a nice pair of boots :-)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top