Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/29/2002 7:25:14 AM EDT
I'm adding a Range Review feature to my website (www.tcht.net) and I'm interested in getting opinions on ranges around the Houston area.

Also... Have you been to American Shooting Centers? I've talked to a lot of shooters and I've only gotten bad opinions. I used to drive 50 miles each way to go there but since they've changed management it's just not a pleasant place to shoot anymore. The RO's are surly, if not abusive, you've got to be "qualified" to shoot on any of the ranges past 100 yards and the management just seems to hold pistol shooters in disdain. Of course, if you're there to shoot clays, they'll french kiss your ass. But maybe I'm just getting one side of it. I'd very much like to get some more opinions on these folks. Before I trash them in print I want to make an honest effort to get a wide range of opinions.

Thanks

Link Posted: 5/29/2002 7:33:56 AM EDT
[#1]
I've never really had any problems with the range officers at American Shooting Centers.  Except for the one I arrested for DWI that blew like a 0.18 and had his pistol on him.  They have treated other people I know like they were just dumb idiots.  Everytime I go shooting pistols there one of the range officers went through the police academy with me so all the other ro's see us talking it up and they leave me alone.  
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 7:59:43 AM EDT
[#2]
I can give some information about A&R gunrange in League City. You can shoot Pistols, Rifles, and Shotguns. Rifle range goes out to 200 yards and the pistol range out to 25. The owners /range officers are very helpful and friendly. There is a problem at the rifle range. You can only shoot in the sitting position from the bench. There are boards nailed just above the muzzle to prevent anybody from shooting over the berm / or standing. That is a must considering the active sandpit on the other side but some people find those boards very annoying. Al and Ruby continue to do a fantastic job fixing the place up. Al teaches the CHL class there every day except Monday and Tuesday (they are closed those two days). They have a few handguns and rifles (including Glocks, ARs, AKs, STG58s) for sale as well as a pretty good assortment of ammo and Mags for decent prices. All in all...I give A&R two thumbs up. Give them a call or stop by and visit!
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 8:04:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I've never really had any problems with the range officers at American Shooting Centers.  Except for the one I arrested for DWI that blew like a 0.18 and had his pistol on him.  
View Quote

[shock] that will leave a mark
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 8:24:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm adding a Range Review feature to my website [url]www.tcht.net[/url]
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 10:47:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks, guys.
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 10:57:28 AM EDT
[#6]
American Shooting Centers also has those gawdawful boards above the line of sight so you can't shoot offhand but they're only on the 100 yard range. The 200, 300, 400 and 600 yard ranges have nothing but benches.

It's really a shame that they're such buttdarts out there because they have very nice facilities. As long as that scrawny little rat bastard that manages the place is in charge, though, I'll not be giving them any more of my money.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top