Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/29/2002 1:23:17 AM EDT
Going to Washington DC in June for work.

Wondering if anyone here from the DC area or familiar with it can offer some suggestions on what to do, besides the usual stuff.

And regarding the usual parts to visit, any ideas on best ways of getting around, seeing everything I can?  I'll be living in the American U area...

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 6:38:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Most of the "Usual" stuff is accessible from the METRO. You should be able to find a map of it on the net. But, since you are going on Company Business, you'll probably have a rental car to get to these:

Navy Museum - Washington Navy Yard - Free
Marine Museum - Washington Navy Yard - Free
Graeber (sp?) Museum - Part of Air & Space.  Located in Silver Hills, MD Appt. Only Tours - Free
             Should be able to get the phone number fm the Smithsonian Site.
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 7:46:29 AM EDT
[#2]
I second the METRO idea. Its very clean, fast & cheap. It'll get you into Maryland, DC & VA. After you see all the parks and museums, hop on the METRO and head into Maryland, get off at the Bethesda METRO stop and walk around a bit. There are tons of outdoor restaurants, coffee houses, bars as well as movie theaters in downtown Bethesda and its all within a five minute walk from the METRO station.

If you're staying @ American University, hop on the metro and head for the Chevy Chase METRO stop, there are two really nice malls there, I highly suggest going to the "Cheesecake Factory" for lunch or dinner; it's awesome.

Also, you'll be walking distance to the National Cathedral. Do yourself a favor and go in and walk around. Its very impressive! Go downstairs and look around in the lower floors, really cool stuff to look at.

You'll also be 5 minutes by cab to Georgetown, by all means go walk around. Lots of nice restaurants & bars.

If you're looking for more "adult" entertainment, you'll be about 5 minutes away from "GoodGuys"....right outside of Georgetown. But of you want the BEST, then take the METRO to "Faragut North" and walk to Camelot, a world class establishment.

>Have fun
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 8:03:08 AM EDT
[#3]
if youre an intern and you jog with a walkman, i suggest you avoid rock creek park.

metro is your friend
see the monuments at the mall.
visit the smithsonian, especially air and space.
great falls on the potomac.
arlington national cemetery.
there must be dozens of civil war battlefields within an hour drive.
i hear there's a tank museum at carlisle?
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 8:06:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 8:07:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Be sure you visit the NRA National Firearms Museum. Its in Virginia at NRA HQ just off Interstate 66.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top