Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/28/2002 5:43:50 PM EDT
What is a good all-purpose folding knife (non-combat) and where can I order it for a decent price?

I am looking for the kind of all-purpose folding knife that is to knives what a Remington 870 is to shotguns.

Please respond in detail.
Thank you,
Regards,
FRIZ
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 5:48:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm kinda confused with your "non-combat" all-purpose knife requirements.  What do you want it to do?  Or what are you looking for?

the CRKT M16 is a nice knife, I carry one everyday, it's not a "combat" knife, but a good many people refer to it as a "tactical" knife. It comes in many blade and lengths to suit your tastes.  IIRC, there was an AR15.com limited edition offered here some time ago.

[url]http://www.crkt.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 5:51:38 PM EDT
[#2]
What kind of price range you shopping? Check the link below. Don't forget to check eBay when you figure out what you want.

http://onestopknifeshop.com/store/index.html
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 5:52:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Iam with 7IDL on the CRKT the M16 is what I use also.
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 5:53:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Check your IM Friz.

The CRKT M16 seemed to be a knife of choice when I polled this a while back but I prefer the Ken Onion assisted openers.

Jake
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 5:56:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Sorry, don't know how to make an active link....
Second attempt

[url]www.onestopknifeshop.com/store/index.html[/url]

[got your back on the link, click on the edit post to see how the url codes work - Paul]
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 5:57:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 6:00:36 PM EDT
[#7]
check out:

[url=www.benchmade.com]Benchmade[/url]

specifically:
[url=http://www.benchmade.com/detail.asp?id=7775071538910&item=49]Osborne knife[/url]
[url=http://www.benchmade.com/detail.asp?id=7775071538910&item=26]the Axis Lock[/url]
[url=http://www.benchmade.com/detail.asp?id=7775071538910&item=126]AFCK-Axis[/url]
or the smaller versions of the same knives.  Heck, look at all the Benchmades.  There is bound to be on there that will fit the bill.  And don't go by their MSRP.  There are plenty of places to find them for less.
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 6:01:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Sorry, don't know how to make an active link....

[url]http://onestopknifeshop.com/store/index.html[/url]
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 6:10:46 PM EDT
[#9]
The M16 is a nice knife, available in a variety of styles and sizes.  I really like the CRKT Crawford Kasper I have, carry it every day.  Although it's a little heavy, it's built tough, has a large blade, and is up to pretty much any task.  I love my benchmades too, but don't like opening boxes with them...lol.  Buck makes a couple of nice folders, both with belt pouches and with pocket clips.  Spyderco has some nice ones also.  Just depends on what you are going to use the knife for, but CRKT has good knives for the money if you are looking at Tactical Folders.
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 6:17:32 PM EDT
[#10]
I hate to do this before I pay my fees as a dealer member but I beg forgiveness as I do it.

My prices:
[b]Kershaw[/b]
Whirlwind $59.99
Scallion $34.99
Chive $34.99
Vapor $24.99
Blackout $64.99

[b]CRKT[/b]
M16-03z $34.99
Point Guard $34.99

[b]Cold Steel[/b]
Gunsite folder $54.99
Voyager clip pt $29.99
Medium Voyager tanto serr $34.99

[b]Gerber[/b]
Stallion $29.99
LST $19.99

Again I am sorry for doing that, but I couldn't resist.

Jake
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 6:21:39 PM EDT
[#11]
I probably have some 20 knives including Emerson, Micro Tech, OLD Gerbers, some Bear, a Benchmade or two and a few other name brands. All but two of my neck knives and several folders are CRKT, gotta love them. I think they are one of the best buys for the price.
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 6:30:48 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a couple of different knives that I carry, so again it depends on what capacity you intend to use it.

For a lightweight everyday, slim profile, I carry my benchmade three and a half inch blade  with half scerrated. It's thin, light, but also pretty tough. I've used it for everything from opening packages, to fishing, to working on cars. It is tough and under $60.00. A good all around knife.
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 6:50:45 PM EDT
[#13]
If you plan to carry it concealed, you better check you local laws regarding blade length. I was looking at the M16, but their shortest blade exceeded the maximum allowed in my state for concealed carry, so I went with the Emerson Mini CQC7B.
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 7:01:05 PM EDT
[#14]
FRIZ,

Remind me to show you the AFCK and Ascent (Benchmade) that I have at the BRC.  I like the Benchmade line (however, I have no experience with a lot of the others mentioned), and particularly like the AFCK blade style.

AFARR
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 8:41:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Not to hijack FRIZ's thread, but any opinions on Cold Steel's stuff?  How does it stack up to Spyderco, Kershaw, Benchmade, etc?

Was also looking specifically at the Benchmade 910 Stryker.  Again, any opinions?  Anything you'd recommend in the same price range instead?
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 8:45:51 PM EDT
[#16]
I just got a Schrade SW7 for $25 and see them on the net for $25-$38.  It's ambi and the clip switches to the other side if you want.

There is a SW7S version with 1/2 serrated blade.
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 9:22:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I hate to do this before I pay my fees as a dealer member but I beg forgiveness as I do it.

My prices:
[b]Kershaw[/b]
Whirlwind $59.99
Scallion $34.99
Chive $34.99
Vapor $24.99
Blackout $64.99

[b]CRKT[/b]
M16-03z $34.99
Point Guard $34.99

[b]Cold Steel[/b]
Gunsite folder $54.99
Voyager clip pt $29.99
Medium Voyager tanto serr $34.99

[b]Gerber[/b]
Stallion $29.99
LST $19.99

Again I am sorry for doing that, but I couldn't resist.

Jake
View Quote

You can't go wrong with any of the Ken Onion knives(Kershaw). Those things just want to fly out of your hand when you open it. I like seeing the expression on peoples faces the first time they open one. Priceless.

BTW, I own a CRKT Crawford Kasper and couldn't be happier.
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 8:30:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for the info. Was looking for a good knife myself.

-legrue

Link Posted: 5/29/2002 8:41:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
If you plan to carry it concealed, you better check you local laws regarding blade length. I was looking at the M16, but their shortest blade exceeded the maximum allowed in my state for concealed carry, so I went with the Emerson Mini CQC7B.
View Quote

AFAIK there is no length limit on folders in CA.  Am I wrong?

I found a 2 1/2" blade length limit for carry on schools, but could find nothing else in CA law that limits folder length for normal carry.

[url]http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/index.html[/url]
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 8:52:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Get a Kershaw! Specifically  Ken Onion's "Blackout". It is the best pocket knife for the money IMHO.
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 8:53:51 AM EDT
[#21]
A different CA knife law site:

[url]http://www.ninehundred.com/~equalccw/knifelaw.html[/url]

There seems to be some confusion about CA knife laws (surprise!), but unless local laws prohibit it, I seem to read into this info. that any length folder is OK statewide.

Anybody else get this too?
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 12:48:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Wenger or Victorinox Swiss Army knives are extremely practical knives if fast opening and defensive use are not at a premium for you.

Multi-tools like the Leatherman Wave are also solid choices.

If you are just looking for a single bladed pocket utility knife, there are about a hundred choices out there and most of them are decent.  I carry an Emerson CQC7 with a combo blade.  Great knife.  Benchmade's are great as well. Tactical folders are distinguished from other folders by special attention being paid to ruggedness.  I have managed to destroy a Spyderco Delica and a Gerber EX-Out knife.  The SPyderco failed at the blade tip and I was able to break the handle as well.  The Gerber failed at the handle. Both were irrepairable. The Emerson has taken everything I've thrown at it so far.

My field knife is a Cold Steel SRK fixed blade.
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 2:44:48 PM EDT
[#23]
I have the larger Gerber Applegate/Fairbairn Combat folder as my jack of all trades knife. It is VERY sharp (cut my hand something fierce the 1st day I got it), has both regular and serrated cutting surfaces on the same blade, is easy to learn to open AND close very quickly with ONE hand. Fits perfect in a jeans watch pocket. Has proven very durable, I would buy another. Range in price of $60-$90 depending on source.

BrenLover
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 1:51:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Sh*t! Damn knife salesmen!

Yes, you guys are right. I read through all the law tonight, and my take on it is as follows.

1. You can carry concealed any length folder, as long as it's not defined as a switchblade per Section 653k.

2. The only exception to #1 above is carry on school grounds, where virtually no knives are allowed. There are exceptions, but the definition of a dirk or dagger is not the same when carried on the street vs. carried on school property. So, you could really screw yourself carrying a folder on school grounds.

So, it appears any folder is cool!

Damnit! I could have bought a bigger knife!
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 7:00:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Matt,

I *did* find this: if you live in the city of L.A., this applies to you, [b]supposedly[/b].  This is from 1997, though.  Who knows how it will be enforced?

SEC. 55.10. CARRY KNIVES OR DAGGERS IN PLAIN VIEW
PROHIBITED.
(Added by Ord. No. 162,995, Eff. 1/7/88.)
(a) As used in this section, the term “knife” or “dagger” shall include any
knife, dirk or dagger having a blade 3 inches or more in length, any ice pick
or similar sharp tool, any straight edge razor or any razor blade fitted to a
handle.
(b) No person shall wear or carry in plain view any knife or dagger upon
any public street or other public place or in any place open to the public.
(c) The prohibitions of this section shall not apply where a person is
wearing or carrying a knife or dagger for use in a lawful occupation, for
lawful recreational purposes, or as a recognized religious practice, or while
the person is traveling to or returning from participation in such activity.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 12:40:21 AM EDT
[#26]
DScott, I live in the Bay Area. It could be the salesmen quoted me LA city law instead of CA state law. How in the hell does one keep up in this state? It's a bloody nightmare!
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 6:02:13 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
DScott, I live in the Bay Area. It could be the salesmen quoted me LA city law instead of CA state law. How in the hell does one keep up in this state? It's a bloody nightmare!
View Quote

Massachusetts is just as bad.  Case law and statute seem to contradict one another.  It appears in some statutes that pretty much any knife with a blade longer than 1.5 inches is considered a dangerous weapon and may not be carried.  That puts me in violation every single day.   However, case law seems to allow most locking folders so long as they "cannot be drawn in a locked and open position"  That would seem to disqualify any Emerson knife with the "wave" feature.
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 8:13:27 AM EDT
[#28]
I have been carrying a Spyderco Delica (Lightweight) for the last 6 years...every single day. The only problem I had with it was, the original plastic molded pocket clip broke when I cut a corner too close in the hallway and the clip snapped on the edge of the wall.

I sent it back to Spyderco and they milled off the remnants of the molded clip, and put a metal clip in it's place held in place by three screws. They also cleaned it, and resharpened the (full) serrated blade....all at no charge to me.

If for some reason, I forget to clip it in my front pant's pocket, I feel naked without it.
It has served me well for a myriad of applications including bottle opener. However, I don't reccomend that due to the wear and tear it does to the plastic handle.

Whenever someone in my family needs a knife to open or cut something, I'm always....ALWAYS the first one to offer the blade...while the rest of them are too busy opening thier Gerber Multipliers, Leathermans, or even folding knives they keep in a belt holster.

Link Posted: 5/31/2002 12:58:02 PM EDT
[#29]
[url]http://www.wholesalehunter.com/product/coldstee/colddes/safekeeper.htm[/url]

Safe Keeper III

For Us In Los Angeles its the legal limit
( I think/hope )

[url]http://www.imperialweapons.com/knives/citizen.htm[/url]
It looks legal but I am not sure of the blade length.

Los Angeles Knife Laws: [url]http://home.earthlink.net/~jkmtsm/knifelaw.html[/url]
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 1:16:35 PM EDT
[#30]
swiss army knife!
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 1:22:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
swiss army knife!
View Quote

Get the one with the saw blade, it's a wicked saw.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top