Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/28/2002 4:02:05 PM EDT
Well over the weekend I spent 6 hours on the river without sun tan lotion on with my shirt off like a dumb ass.  My upper body is now a nice maroon color and I have blisters everywhere.  Can someone tell my what I could put the blisters to help them heal faster?
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 4:15:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I would use neosporin on the blisters and a product with aloe vera for the burned areas. If there are a lot of blisters I would see a doctor as I believe that would be a second degree burn, nothing to mess around with. John
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 4:19:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Go see a doctor if you're really concerned.

I'd say:
Aspirin (ibuprofen (Advil))
Drink lots o' water
Aloe at first, then lotions to moisturize after two days
Use mild soap
Cool compresses, not ice
Consider a hydrocortisone cream
Oatmeal Bath or Baking Soda bath?
Don't pick

Use sunblock.
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 4:26:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes, hydration and moisture.  Beware those blisters....infection is always possible.  I'm a maniac with the sunblock. Reapply every two hours at least. I'd rather be fish-belly white and alive than tan and riddled with skin cancer.

--ZERO
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 4:33:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Try to not pop the blisters (duh!), use Silvadine ointment on the blistered areas and a burn gel on the rest.

Panama Jack makes a good aloe gel (I keep a good supply on hand through the summer) if you can find it try refrigerating it prior to using it (a bit of a bite this way but it soothes more).

Also if you can find a super soft long sleeve shirt it'll become your best friend.

Jake
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 4:40:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Aloe Vera gel greased on in liberal amounts works many wonders.
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 4:49:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Go to the local Pharmacy and get a big 'ol tube of ZINC OXIDE
Its designed for sun burn and other skin irrataions. THIS WILL WORK!
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 4:52:11 PM EDT
[#7]
you can get some great burn cream from the doctor but w/o insurance it's big bucks.
but it's ooooooooooohhhhhhhhhh so nice.[:O]
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 4:53:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
you can get some great burn cream from the doctor but w/o insurance it's big bucks.
but it's ooooooooooohhhhhhhhhh so nice.[:O]
View Quote

Silvadine
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 4:58:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Blisters are a pretty good indication of second degree burns.  If they are extensive, go see a doctor.  

You need to protect those burns from infection. Alcohol is a piss-poor pain relief solution for burns so stay away from it and anything with caffeine until the burns heal up a ways.  Why?  Because alcohol and caffeine are Diuretics.  They strip water from your system faster than your body can absorb it leaving you with a net loss of fluids.  Dehydration is really bad for you.  

Instead drink a lot of water.  Just plain water, not Gatorade or sports drinks or anything else. just plain old cold water.  It absorbs faster and won't load you down with useless calories that you hurt too much to work off. By a lot of water I mean several quarts a day.  Drink until you are pissing clear and frequently then keep on drinking.   A healthy human being doing an average amount of work in a temperate climate needs about two quarts of water a day over and above the moisture they take in in thier food.  If you are active or live in a very hot or very dry environment, you need a lot more.

Here's the tough part...you really need to avoid sunburns for the next few....years.  Getting too many sunburns predisposes you to skin cancer.  Watch yourself for moles or lesions that are irregular, sensitive to the touch, quick growing or mottled in color and get to a dermatologist ASAP if any should appear.  Folks like me (with a lot of skin moles) should get checked out regularly and comprehensively to catch the nearly inevitable skin cancers early.

Use SPF 25 or greater sunscreen.  Apply often.  However, the best defense agains the sun is to stay out of it.  Wear loose cotton clothing and wide brimed hats. And you probably still need to apply sunscreeen since a cotton t-shirt is only worth SPF 10!

Link Posted: 5/28/2002 4:58:42 PM EDT
[#10]
In the absence of better medicine I have found a layer of lidocaine and a layer of aloe works well (some bottles mix in a sun burn mix)
You may want to buy 'solarcaine' in a spray bottle to let you touch the skin with the good stuff, it is rather cheap.
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 11:06:19 PM EDT
[#11]
After being a Lifeguard for the past 5 years I have learned that there is nothing you can do once you start to blister but sit there in pain.  Before you start to blister the best way to treat a sunburn is to SCRUB it.  Yes it hurts like hell but you will not peel if you scrub hard enough.  by scrubbing you will get rid of most of the damaged skin.  Buy some aloe vera and put it in the 'fridge before use for some added releif.  

sp
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 11:11:47 PM EDT
[#12]
vicks-vapo-rub followed by a thin coat of Vagisil.
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 11:14:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
After being a Lifeguard for the past 5 years I have learned that there is nothing you can do once you start to blister but sit there in pain.  Before you start to blister the best way to treat a sunburn is to SCRUB it.  Yes it hurts like hell but you will not peel if you scrub hard enough.  by scrubbing you will get rid of most of the damaged skin.  Buy some aloe vera and put it in the 'fridge before use for some added releif.  

sp
View Quote

I'll admit that I've never encountered advice like this before.  
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 11:41:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Take a HOT as hell shower IF YOU CAN STAND IT!
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 11:43:04 PM EDT
[#15]
It helps to actually cool your body.. I dunno about the blisters but don't pop them and dont put any wet stuff to cover them up.. use dry gauss or something similar  and if they are on your middle or lower back get someone to dr your back off or something after a HOT shower.. hell warm will work but not as good.. just don't pop the blisters
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 4:52:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Ahhh...the joys of the New River Valley.  You up for a shoot this weekend?
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 2:04:33 PM EDT
[#17]
I can't say too much about the blisters, except the zinc oxide is a good idea-that stuff really IS a miracle. As far as the pain goes, just take some plain 'ol aspirin. Yes, it really works. I had a part-time job as a lifeguard at a huge pool in Missouri, and all I ever did was put ban-aids on stubbed toes and give people aspirin for sunburns.
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 2:36:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top