Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/3/2011 1:24:30 PM EDT
My wife has a 2011 Honda Pilot (bought 14 months and 30,000 miles ago).  Factory tires are crap and have been noisy since day one.  I knew then that I would replace with a quieter tire someday.  That day is now.  Any recommendations?  Dealer recommended Kumho Road Venture?  Any thoughts.  Thanks!!
Link Posted: 7/3/2011 1:28:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/3/2011 1:52:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Firestone Destination AT. DEAD Silent, good Mud and Snow (notice I said GOOD not GREAT)
performance, Great rain traction decent price. Good Ride and Quality Performance.
It is an AT not an Off Road Tire so Mud Performance is not as good but the snow performance is good.
They also have a destination LE which is NOT an AT tire at all strictly Highway.

Destination LE
Link Posted: 7/3/2011 1:59:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Toyo Open Country H/T
Link Posted: 7/3/2011 2:01:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Does it have to be a LT tire?  Michelin "Harmony" or "Destiny" tires (one is sold at NTW, one at Discount Tire) work just fine on large older American cars and on half ton trucks as well.  It's basically a heavy duty passenger car tire.  What size tire are you running now?
Link Posted: 7/3/2011 2:02:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I have liked the (two sets) of Michelin Cross Terrains I've had on my 2000 GMC half-ton truck over the last 8 or 9 years but am considering more of a light truck tire for the next time around as I put a Skamper pop-up camper on it for the summer/fall and am thinking I need a bit stouter sidewall in the tires for the extra weight...still researching that for now, though.

Those Firestone AT's mentioned above look interesting, especially if they are as quiet as stated.  I'll be watching this thread for additional ideas.
Link Posted: 7/3/2011 2:03:27 PM EDT
[#6]
check these out, I'm happy with them so far

Bridgestone Dueler Alenza

ETA:  and these are actually marketed for SUVs.  If you want quiet and comfortable, don't put a truck tire on your Pilot!
Link Posted: 7/3/2011 2:20:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/3/2011 2:22:24 PM EDT
[#8]
My Michelin LTXs ride great, quietly, and my last set lasted over 70k miles.

Down side is that 4WD capability is reduced.
Link Posted: 7/3/2011 2:23:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Michellin Cross Terrains.
Silent tire and unbelievable wear.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/3/2011 2:25:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Michelin, Michelin, Michelin, Michelin.

Bought the Michelin Primacy for the stepdaughters car to replace the original bridgestones. Huge difference in noise.

I put LTX M/S2 on my GMC. They make for a wonderful ride and are quiet as well. I have 30,000 miles on them and they are less than half worn.
Link Posted: 7/3/2011 2:27:56 PM EDT
[#11]
I've always been happy with any of the Michelins i've bought.

if they make an LTX in your size, it would be a good choice.
Link Posted: 7/3/2011 3:02:48 PM EDT
[#12]
My dad runs the Kuhmo Road Venture AT's and I'm not really impressed with them, they don't seem to last very long. The Firestone Destination At's are a good tire, we have them on the wifes truck and they have been wearing very well and are pretty quiet. I've also had good luck with Bridgestone Duelers. I run BFG AT's on my truck, but they are a little noisy and are probably overkill for a Pilot.
Link Posted: 7/3/2011 3:05:56 PM EDT
[#13]
+1 for Michelin Cross Terrains, just put a new set on a few weeks ago.
Link Posted: 7/3/2011 3:10:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Cooper Discoverer ATR

Quiet and very good in the snow, but that probably doesn't matter to you.

Link Posted: 7/3/2011 3:10:35 PM EDT
[#15]
I just got a set of Nitto Crosstek CUV tires on my minivan

Quiet and great in the rain.
Link Posted: 7/3/2011 3:10:35 PM EDT
[#16]

I swear by these: Goodyear Fortera TripleTred

If you check the tirerack.com survey of these tires they are ranked number 2 out of all tires in their category.  SUV all seasons.  Seriously, I have not had one issue with these tires since I bought them.
Link Posted: 7/3/2011 3:11:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Michellin Cross Terrains.
Silent tire and unbelievable wear.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

this....i used to manage a tire store in college...i sold ALOT of these and never got complaints...spend a little more and get a very good tire
Link Posted: 7/3/2011 3:13:03 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I'm big fan of Michelin tires on the last two light pickups and a Mountaineer I owned. They're expensive up fornt and they have all exceeded the warranty mileage (80k miles) without a problem. In the end, they cost less to own.

Almost forgot, they're quiet, too. I don't like noisy tires, either.

Michelin LTX FTW!!!

If you had a more grunty 4x4 I would recommend the Yokohama Geolander or Hankook DynaPro.
Link Posted: 7/3/2011 3:18:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Does it have to be a LT tire?  Michelin "Harmony" or "Destiny" tires (one is sold at NTW, one at Discount Tire) work just fine on large older American cars and on half ton trucks as well.  It's basically a heavy duty passenger car tire.  What size tire are you running now?

The key to getting a quiet tire is to get a passenger car tire.  Of course, you will have less off-road capability, if that matters.
Link Posted: 7/3/2011 3:19:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Michelin LTX M/S II or X Radial LTII (Sams) are quiet enough for me.

I also like Cooper Discoverer HT if you want something less expensive.
Link Posted: 7/3/2011 3:37:34 PM EDT
[#21]

I believe TireRack.com lists road noise in their review categories.
Link Posted: 7/3/2011 3:40:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Michellin LTX or Cooper Discoverer are quiet SUV/truck tires.
Link Posted: 7/3/2011 3:41:08 PM EDT
[#23]
I've had Yokohama Geolanders on my Rodeo for years. They're pretty quiet.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top