Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/28/2002 10:06:15 AM EDT
[size=4]Making the air safe for terrorists[/size=4]

By Joseph Farah, May 28, 2002
© 2002 WorldNetDaily.com

Forgive me. For a little while, after Sept. 11, I actually believed our government might respond to the terrorist attacks with some common-sense, self-defense measures and policies.

Boy, was I a dope.

Despite the fact that polls of even gun-control advocates show 77 percent favor arming airline pilots to avoid hijackings, the Bush administration refuses to heed the call.

As WorldNetDaily has reported, the Federal Aviation Administration put the final nail in the coffin of firearms in the cockpit just two months before Sept. 11. In other words, even while reports were circulating about the imminent threat posed by al-Qaida to the safety of airliners nationwide, the government was doing everything in its power to make the air safe for terrorists.

Office of Homeland Security Director Tom Ridge has been unequivocal in his objection to armed pilots ever since. Transportation Secretary Norm Mineta has openly opposed the idea. And, last week, John "No-Draw" Magaw, the former director of President Clinton's scandal-plagued Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms and now Transportation Security Administration director, told the U.S. Senate the concept was out of the question.

Imagine that. These high government officials – people who wouldn't think of flying on an airplane themselves that was not protected by armed guards – are deciding that airline pilots, most of them military trained, can be trusted to fly a $20 million airplane, but not with a loaded gun on board.

But I've got good news for you.

This is one battle we can win. And, if we win this battle with the ruling elite, who knows where it might lead. It might result in the biggest outbreak of common sense since 1776.

Here's why we can win.

The pilots are with us. This is our ace in the hole. Ultimately, if the government continues to flout the will of the people and the will of the pilots, air travel could be crippled.

There are rumblings – if ever so slight at this point – that some pilots just might decide some day they won't fly without the ability to protect themselves, their crew and their passengers, not to mention innocent civilians on the ground.

I'm not advocating a strike. But just the hint of such an action might be enough to get Congress off the dime. Legislation has been introduced in both houses not only to permit guns in the cockpits of America's airliners, but to mandate them.

- continued -
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 10:06:48 AM EDT
[#1]
What will George Bush do if such a bill lands on his desk?

My bet is he will sign it in a heartbeat. So far, Bush has listened to his top advisers on the issue. But his mother did not raise any stupid politicians. Bush knows where the votes are. If that bill makes it to the White House, it becomes law.

It's too bad we even have to fight over such a basic, fundamental principle. It should be a non-issue. Ordinary Americans should not be left defenseless while Ridge, Mineta, Magaw and Bush are surrounded by armed guards at all times – on land, sea and in the air.

But maybe it's better if we view this as an opportunity to slap these arrogant politicians down, hand them a stunning political defeat and let them know we're entering a new age of accountability.

Viewed that way, this might not be a waste of time, energy and resources. Instead, it could be the next shot heard 'round the world.

Maybe once we convince the political class we're not going to be left defenseless in the skies, we let them know we won't be left defenseless on the ground, either. Maybe it will be time to roll back all those unconstitutional federal restrictions on possession of firearms that have been passed in recent years.

Maybe, after that, we let them know we won't be left defenseless by their open-borders policies.

Maybe, after that, we let them know it's time to start rebuilding a civil-defense infrastructure in this country again.

And, maybe – just maybe – after that the political momentum will have shifted toward the common-sense will of the American people that we can take back our country from these fools once and for all.

See article at:[url]http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=27758[/url]

BTW, Mr. Farah is a Life Member of the NRA. He told me so!

Eric The(Revolting)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 10:40:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Wait a second here. Airplanes are more likely to be hijacked by young Islamic men. These young Islamic men would be the most likely victim of the evil armed pilots on a rampage. If one race is more likely to be killed then another, then it must be... Profiling! And we all know that Profiling is Evil and Wrong, right? Therefore, guns in the cockpits are also Evil and Wrong. Is this enough to get me nominated by the Democrats? [;)]

But seriously, I would expect at least a serious threat of a strike from the pilots soon.
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 1:20:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Here's a dirty little secret...Profiling works. Try this little test yourself.

There has been a recent outbreak of airline hijackings by people with purple skin. You are an Air Marshall. Which passenger in the line up are you going to start with?
[:D] [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D][whacko] [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D]
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 1:46:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Eric,

I agree that the government is broken, and we, the people, may be able to repair part of it.  At least the part that might get our families killed because they have to travel.

If the HCI poster boys that have been appointed
by GW (MaGaw, Ridge, Minetta and their ilk)do not want to face the new reality that people are not going to willingly continue to be helpless victims, then we must act.

I support a national 'no fly' day of both pilots and passengers.  This would not only get the attention of bureaucrats, most with armed guards paid for by the taxpayer, but it would also get the attention of the airline industry.  When it hits the wallet, the airlines will respond.

Or we can sit and wait for the gov't to protect us...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top