Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/29/2001 6:15:50 PM EDT
That's the impression I get from reading some of the posts around here.  Some people seem to think that the bushmaster model is better.  Is that because it is easier to convert?  I have always been a fan of Colt products.  
I have a Colt Sporter (7.62x39), and I have a Colt national match on lay-away.
Link Posted: 3/29/2001 6:20:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/29/2001 6:22:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Colt products have a bad reputation for quality, especially the 90's 1911's.
I think some also resent them for caving in on the re-design of the AR.
I would buy a Colt, but I wouldn't pay more for it.
The U.S. Military thinks the same way. The new AR's are made by FN.
I would pay more for a FN AR, but I don't think they are planning to sell those to civilains.
[sniper]
Link Posted: 3/29/2001 6:26:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Actually Colts are considered pretty good - if you're talking mostly about pre-bans. There are more Colt pre-bans around than any other brand - they made more. Their chrome-lined service barrels are considered some of the best of this type (I would not have any other on my M4). But lately, Bushmaster, Armalite, and Rock River have been turning out very nice rifles, while quality and especially customer service from Colt has been dodgy. RE:conversion, the BM will accept the RDIAS unmodified, so it is preferred for that by the class-3 RDIAS guys, but for the rest of us it really makes no difference. Colts often are not made to accept the standard pushpin up front, and the hammer and trigger pins are bigger on Colts since the blue-labels came out.
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 4:23:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Colt products have a bad reputation for quality, especially the 90's 1911's.
I think some also resent them for caving in on the re-design of the AR.
I would buy a Colt, but I wouldn't pay more for it.
The U.S. Military thinks the same way. The new AR's are made by FN.
I would pay more for a FN AR, but I don't think they are planning to sell those to civilains.
[sniper]
View Quote

Do not ever loose hope of obtaining a FN-AR because some idiot just following orders may put you into a situation where you have to take theirs!
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 4:37:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Jackyl, in my humble opinion, if you like your Colts, great, stick with them by all means. I have a Colt pre ban 16" HBAR and love it, the fit and finish and performance of the weapon is outstanding. Each person must find what works best for them.
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 5:31:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Do not ever loose hope of obtaining a FN-AR because some idiot just following orders may put you into a situation where you have to take theirs!
View Quote

yah, that will be one helluva trophy of war. if the big SHTF hits i will be set, the nearest infantry reserve is full of a bunch of grab asses. i know the future head of the unit (he is in mideast now) and his guys are such a bunch of slack ass lazy drunk punks, he dosent like to talk about it.  
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 7:10:30 PM EDT
[#7]
I just bought a Colt post ban, brand new it has worse craftsmanship in some places than my 1970's retired US Customs M-16. It does seem to function flawlessly, but it has some very rough spots on it. You might want to look at DPMS too before buying a Bushy, I've heard they have some excellent uppers.
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 7:20:21 PM EDT
[#8]
IVE GOT A COLT A2HBAR HAVENT HAD ANY TROUBLE AT ALL WITH.BIULT A DPMS LAST MONTH DAMN NICE RIFLE,BUT SEEMS KINDA AMMO SINCETIVE
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top