Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/28/2002 5:55:22 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 5:57:43 AM EDT
[#1]
The French alone should be the ones to repay the US because we liberated that shithole.
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 6:01:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
The French alone should be the ones to repay the US because we liberated that shithole.
View Quote

I think we bailed there asses out SEVERAL times :

World War I
World War 2
Korean War
Vietnam War

Just check it out , French were in these conflicts first and we had to bail them out .
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 6:04:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 6:25:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
World War I
World War 2
Korean War
Vietnam War
Just check it out , French were in these conflicts first and we had to bail them out .
View Quote

no argument on ww1 and 2, but...

i dont think the french were involved in korea until after the UN entered, which was well after the US was involved.

the US declined to provide air support at dien bien phu. it can be argued that had we helped them there, they would not have lost north vietnam to the communists and the south would not have gained independence. recent history would have been very different.
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 6:34:24 AM EDT
[#5]
The [b]world[/b] is to repay the U.S.

Because without the U.S, this world would be a different world.....a world of ditatorship and oppressions.
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 6:54:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Because without the U.S, this world would be a different world.....a world of ditatorship and oppressions.
View Quote

Exactly.
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 7:14:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
the US declined to provide air support at dien bien phu. it can be argued that had we helped them there, they would not have lost north vietnam to the communists and the south would not have gained independence. recent history would have been very different.
View Quote

French resupply and reinforcements were sent by air, but the French picked a lousy spot in Dien Bien Phu. It was a bowl surrounded by hills, which Ho Chi Minh had no trouble exploiting. The Viet Minh dragged artillery pieces and antiaircraft guns up the hills and barraged the fort as well as any aircraft that came near it.

It seems to me that the real watershed for the French was the pull out of the French Foreign Legion, once word got out to the press that it was 60-70% former Waffen SS. The annihilation of Groupe Mobile 100 and Dien Bien Phu followed soon after, as well as complete French capitulation of Indochina.
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 7:17:17 AM EDT
[#8]
France is the only country that paid us back for world war 2. We are still waiting for the rest of them.
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 7:23:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

short and to the point. well said.
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 7:26:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Lurker, the problem was not us not supporting the French in Vietnam, the problem was in not telling the colonial powers after WWII that they were not welcome to reoccupy countries where they were not wanted - like Vietnam.
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 7:27:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 8:01:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Hate to tell you guys, but many of the European nations are helping out in the war on terror.

England, Germany, Poland, and yes, even France.

There are also many more nations in both Europe and other contents helping.

Just because they don't provide arms or military manpower, doesn't mean they are useless. Good intelligence can go a long way. So can providing foodstuffs and allowing the use of airspace.

Av.
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 9:10:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 9:19:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The Europeans are going to take a very snotty view of...
View Quote

...everything we do anyway.

Link Posted: 5/28/2002 10:07:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Not to defend the modern French {let them do that themselves, if they can), but without French assistance (arms, munitions, ships, money, and troops) the Colonies would most likely have [b]lost[/b] the Revolutionary War.

If we're playing tit-for-tat, we repaid France for that during WWI.
View Quote

Sort of "Lafayette, here we come?"

As far as the rest of it, the British debts of WWI and II were "forgiven" by FDR and Truman.  So, there is no legal basis for the claim.

Up until now, with their apparent support for the terrorist war, the Europeans have done nothing but hand wringing and finger pointing at the US.  Nothing to be done about it now that they have indeed jumped in.  Can't really say it, because it could fracture the alliance.  After it's all over, who will care?
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 11:14:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

World War I
World War 2
View Quote

You can add to that
Yugoslavia:
Serbia/Croatia/Bosnia/Herzegovinia/Macedonia/Albania

Like Europe handled that well!!

Until the U.S.("NATO") stepped in it was
spiraling out of control!

Those arrogant European morons couldn't even handle that mess in their own backyard until the U.S.  stepped in !!!!!

The level of conceit & arrogance Europeans have (especially in their view vs. the U.S.)
continues to amaze me!!!!
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 2:23:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Whats the difference between a frenchman and a bucket of shit?
the bucket![;)]
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 2:48:40 PM EDT
[#18]
I thought that Norway was the only country to repay it's debt...maybe I got that wrong. I thought France just told us to "Fuck Off" France got pissy and dropped out of NATO. But the American shield of hundreds of thousands in Infantry, Armor, Artillery, and our nuclear weapons protected them anyway. For free. They owe us....
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 2:56:35 PM EDT
[#19]
If the Muslim subhumans set off a nuke in the U.S. ( which they will someday soon, if we don't spank them very hard right now.);  France won't even send a box of Band-Aids..
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 2:58:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Who are we kidding? They couldn't even afford the INTEREST! They talk real tough until something goes wrong, then they come running to Hide in the SHADOW of the only real Power on the globe. Lets face it, America is the World's baby sitter, and the Guardian of freedom, and has been the Leader of every major initiative world wide for the last 50 years. When the going gets tough, Europe comes running.

[-=(_)=-]
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 3:14:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Why would we want France's military help?  They'd simply skippitee doo daa to the front lines and surrender as soon as the enemy calls them names.

The French run from accountability, lose at everything they do (minus that soccer victory a while back), drive on the wrong side of the road, and encourage hairy armpits on womenz...

Two thumbs down in my book!  Although they did have an impressive fireworks display on Y2K!
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 3:18:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Don't be so hard on the French. If it wasn't Lafayette that held the Brits at bay, Gen. Wash. would have been wiped out during the Revolutionary War. Hey what about the Statue of Liberty? Remember it was a gift from France, but I forget the year.
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 3:35:06 PM EDT
[#23]
If the French didn't exist, we wouldn't be able to make fun of them. Consider that their contribution to the world.
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 3:38:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Historically the French have been good allies. Recently, I can't say much good about them. They've pretty well told us "Fudge you".

-legrue

Link Posted: 5/28/2002 3:54:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
France is the only country that paid us back for world war 2. We are still waiting for the rest of them.
View Quote

Care to go into a little more Detail?????  fullclip
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 3:59:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 11:24:21 PM EDT
[#27]
The goddamn French again.... Perhaps Allah should nuke them! Question: Why do the French plant rows of trees along their roads ?  Answer: That is so the Germans can march in the shade!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top