Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/27/2002 9:11:12 PM EDT
I was thinking about getting a sport/utility ATV so I would have something for hunting season. Then, I decided that I would rather have a pure sport bike because I reckon I will use it quite a bit more for fun than hunting. I could still use it for hunting. I just won't have the racks so I'll use a backpack and sling my rifle.

I like this new Suzuki Quad Sport Z400.
[img]http://www.suzukicycles.com/sr_02/atv/quadsportz400/images/full/ltz4002.jpg[/img]

Now, for my question. If I walk into the dealership with cash in hand will they be more willing to work with me on price? In the past I always thought that everyone payed sticker for a motorcycle/ATV. I think it should work just like a new car purchase. Anybody have any experience with buying a new ATV?
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 9:32:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Try to get the best deal you can.  My brother just purchased a new ATV and he chewed the dealer down several hundred $$.

just my 2 cents

medcop
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 4:40:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Try [url]www.cycletrader.com[/url]

You can atleast see what they are going for around the country and get an idea. Maybe it will even list ones near you.

Most dealers will accept a lower price for cash in hand. I saved my nephew several hundred bucks on his new Raptor by asking and shopping around. Iowa here also has a thing to where if it is for farm use you pay no taxes on it. Saves big bucks if your going to be using it on your own property!

Later

IAJack
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 4:42:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 5:49:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Keith, If I have it by then I'll bring it. I have the money but I'm having a hard time convincing myself to buy it. One thing that will make the decision easier is if I can find some good places to ride around here. I found a site that lists some parks in Central TX.
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 5:52:20 AM EDT
[#5]
IAJack, I searched cycletrader worlwide and found 5, brand new. This thing is so new that I don't think I will find a good deal anywhere.
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 6:21:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Bunghole. Before you jump on this machine, cruise the ATV forums and ask around about it or its previous models. DirtWheels magazine probably did a review on it. Somewhere in the back of my mind it was either Suzuki or Yamaha that was having a bunch of transmission problems with the 2002 machines. Sorry I can't recall who at the moment, I think it's Yamaha but I have such a short term memory.

For good deals and discounts it's going to be tough road since you just started in the beginning of the ATV season. If it was January, you'd have more wiggle room.

I think you'll be happy since you'll ride it 90% of the time for fun and 10% for hunting.
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 6:57:01 AM EDT
[#7]
I personally would rather have a utility type ATV with racks, 4wd etc and then use it for fun than the other way around. Once you get one you'll find an infinate number of uses for it and you will want racks and such for it. But hey, no rule against buying another one if you need it.
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 7:22:56 AM EDT
[#8]
I have to agree with monkeyman.  The big bikes only limitations are getting air and a few really steep hills.
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 7:30:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Pssst! [b]bunghole[/b]!

Street legal?

Eric The(StreetLegal!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 7:31:15 AM EDT
[#10]
A very good site for atv info is atving.com. You can get lots of good info there about every atv that is out there!

BKVic
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 7:55:25 AM EDT
[#11]
bunghole,

I have a 01 Yamaha Raptor and LOVE IT!!! It's the beast of all sport quads.. Now the 01 Raptors have had a glitch with the tranny, (Mine hasn't had any problems) From what I've heard they fixed it for the 02 models. AS for the dealers, they will deal if you have cash.. I told my dealer I wouldn't even look if I didn't get a helmet, goggles, and gloves included in the deal.. Guess what, I left with a helmet, goggles and gloves.. Another quality quad is the Honda 400EX.
I'm sure the Suzuki will have a few glitches as it's a new machine like the rest of them so I'd be weary..

Later,
      hawkin
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 8:23:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Is that a 2-stroke or a 4? Two strokes are nothing but trouble. They are fast, but need endless maintenance, flood easily, have very little low speed torque and in general are a pain in the buttocks.
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 8:25:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I was thinking about getting a sport/utility ATV so I would have something for hunting season. Then, I decided that I would rather have a pure sport bike because I reckon I will use it quite a bit more for fun than hunting. I could still use it for hunting. I just won't have the racks so I'll use a backpack and sling my rifle.

I like this new Suzuki Quad Sport Z400.
[img]http://www.suzukicycles.com/sr_02/atv/quadsportz400/images/full/ltz4002.jpg[/img]

Now, for my question. If I walk into the dealership with cash in hand will they be more willing to work with me on price? In the past I always thought that everyone payed sticker for a motorcycle/ATV. I think it should work just like a new car purchase. Anybody have any experience with buying a new ATV?
View Quote

You can have just as much fun with the utility type of ATV.  When its cold during hunting season and you're plowing through some mud holes,  you're gonna find that you have no protection from the front wheels.  (in other words you're gonna get pretty muddy and wet)

I personally don't care about going fast.  As always JMHO.
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 1:48:24 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm conflicted now. I don't know which to get. The Dealer also told me that they couldn't come off of the price for the Z400 or Raptor because they are so hard to get. He said he might be able to come off of the freight and dealer prep. I didn't think about asking for helmet, boots, etc in the deal. The Z400 is pretty new but all of the reviews are good.
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 1:48:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Oh, and I'm on my way to get a shed so I can clear out space in the garage. [:D]
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 2:11:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Bunghole, I still have to try to sway you to a Kawasaki Prairie. If you are wanting something to play on as well as use for utility work you cant go wrong. As far as speed goes you can hit 65 mph in the blink of an eye on my 650 not to mention the ride is much more plush on a sport ute quad. I have found no machine that can mud bog with my KVF650, the locking differential is the key man. Kawasaki also has the 360 with the same features as my 650 just a smaller version with a milder sting in the wallet.

Jake
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 4:10:59 PM EDT
[#17]
A pic I found online of a KVF650 on a quiet Sunday ride
[img]http://atv.dnsalias.com/atv/washington_park_dec01/6.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 4:44:52 PM EDT
[#18]
I think I'm going to stick with the sport quad. All of the Utility quads that I like are $1000 to $2000 more than the Z400. If I find that the Z doesn't meet my needs I'll trade it for a utility.
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 5:25:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Bunghole,

Do not believe that crap about dealers not being able to get machines or deal on them. They tried to tell my nephew the same crap beacuse his was the only dealership for a ways around. As soon as I called to a few around here, I found one sitting on Raptors, even a Limited Edition and willing to deal for cash. You just have to find one that is hungry enough!

Try checking out these sites for reviews and info:

[url]www.atvtime.com[/url]
[url]www.atvconnection.com[/url]

Good luck!
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 5:33:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Just be respectful.  Everybody pays cash.  I like anything Honda that is ES (electric shift), I would recommend that everyone ride an electric shift.  Different strokes for different folks.  In Arkansas you can sign a farm statement if you have a farm and not pay sales tax.  Good Luck!
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 6:15:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Bunghole:
One thing that will make the decision easier is if I can find some good places to ride around here. I found a site that lists some parks in Central TX.
View Quote

ive been to a place off 175 (CF HAWN.. coming from downtown to 635/20) in pleasnt grove..  cant remember the exact street.  Place is tons of fun.. every week end you can see alot a people there.. Its not an "offical" riding park.. its actually the very back of a park on Elam..( ok I remebered the name..)  has hills, a ravine, a stream and a $hit load of hills/lumps of dirt along with ample open land ..  You can be there all day and not run in anyone from actaul park..

Ive been there more than a couple of times.. the first time I broke my friends rear axle.

Another fun place is basicly any place along the trinty river.. the city has closed most of it off. So its basicly all yours..

edited to correct highway name....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top