... Preban collapsible stock?
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 9:12:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 9:13:09 PM EDT
[#3]
It's not laying out on my floor.
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 9:16:03 PM EDT
[#4]
OK i can't believe you guys ,you are so dazzled by the hardware that you didn't click on the link for the description,

"Bushmaster XM15 with 20" Heavy Barrel with a flash suppressor. It has a 4X21 scope made for the AR-15 rifles. It has a collapsible shorty stock and standard stock. 10rd and 30rd Bushmaster mags. Soft case, hard case and field cleaning kit that fits in the stock. Only 250 rounds shot"

This is a postban rifle if i'm not mistaken.
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 9:16:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Unloading it cause it's stolen from DVD Tracker?? [shock]
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 9:19:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Yep. Post and ugly as hell.
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 9:20:09 PM EDT
[#7]
That's a "Franken rifle", and was most likely born in a laboratory.  If you look real close, it has 2 bolts on each side of its neck.
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 9:25:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Uhhhhh...collapsible stock on a postban?

Link Posted: 5/27/2002 9:29:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Just what everyone needs.....

Purchase this rifle and get a free trip to club fed!

medcop
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 9:31:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 9:36:00 PM EDT
[#11]
And some of you guys still wonder why most FFLs ONLY accept guns from other FFLs. Can you imagine you are a FFL, Joe Blow from gunsamerica sends you the above AR for a "new" customer of yours and ATF decides to pull an inspection the same day.

I am personally leary of receiveing guns for anyone from internet auction sites for just this very reason. I have seen alot of illegal postban guns on places like the above.

I'd rather do the leg work and track down a legal preban rifle from dealers who are known to me.
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 9:59:29 PM EDT
[#12]
The guy is obviously an idiot.

1) telestock on a rifle
2) 20 inch barrel with 5 inch FS (why bother with the telestock? it still won't fit in a regular 40 inch case.)
3) If it's a preban (telstock and FS)then he's an idiot for selling it for just 800 bucks.  If it's a post ban then he's an idiot for having a FS and telestock on it.

So basically, he's an idiot.
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 12:21:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 12:50:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
And some of you guys still wonder why most FFLs ONLY accept guns from other FFLs. Can you imagine you are a FFL, Joe Blow from gunsamerica sends you the above AR for a "new" customer of yours and ATF decides to pull an inspection the same day.
View Quote

So how are you to guarantee that an FFL dealer thousands miles of away is any more knowledgeable about pre-ban/post-ban issues than a private seller? There are tons of dealers out there who are ignorant about the subject, too. If the ATF is really out to get you, you can bet they will always find a way.

I am personally leary of receiveing guns for anyone from internet auction sites for just this very reason. I have seen alot of illegal postban guns on places like the above.
View Quote

Ask for serial numbers. Follow through with as thorough a check as possible. Someone doesn't want to provide a serial number, simply pass the sale by.

I'd rather do the leg work and track down a legal preban rifle from dealers who are known to me.
View Quote

Yeah, I'm sure you'd also rather charge the customer 10% for the leg work, too, instead of a reasonable flat transfer fee. [;)]
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 1:21:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Collapsible stocks on 20" AR's are super cool.  Those of you who thinks it looks funny, just look at the fullsize HK91 and FN FAL as an example.  Both of those are fullsize weapons and the collapsible/folding stocks fit them well.  
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 1:42:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

So how are you to guarantee that an FFL dealer thousands miles of away is any more knowledgeable about pre-ban/post-ban issues than a private seller? There are tons of dealers out there who are ignorant about the subject, too. If the ATF is really out to get you, you can bet they will always find a way.
View Quote

Here's the deal Scooter, a FFL sends me a illegal rifle it goes right back. I can return a rifle to a FFL by mail.

Quoted:
Ask for serial numbers. Follow through with as thorough a check as possible. Someone doesn't want to provide a serial number, simply pass the sale by.
View Quote

So now I'm supposed to be running serial numbers?!? How about I just stick to getting guns from reputable dealers I'm already familiar with.

Quoted:
Yeah, I'm sure you'd also rather charge the customer 10% for the leg work, too, instead of a reasonable flat transfer fee. [;)]
View Quote

See here is the problem. I'm a firearm dealer, not a transfer for flat fee guy. My business, my rules. Can I come to your job and tell YOU how to do it and how much YOU are allowed to charge?

Seriously Boomer, what the hell is your problem?

I simply state that I prefer NOT to deal with internet gun auction sites because there is so much of the above going on.

I prefer to run a legit business and deal with responsible people and LEGAL guns.

And horror of all horrors I actually attempt to derive a living from my business.

When you're not fucking with me are you bothering fireman for wasting water?
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 2:15:45 AM EDT
[#17]
All you guys are way off base here as i see it, I have a lot of friends that have pre-ban colts and none of them have bayo-lugs.  So just by looking at the setup it's kind of hard to tell if it can or cannot have a colapsible stock!

Could be if he paid the tax,might even be looking at an M16.  Any way dude which is it,if you would even grace me with the answer.  And buy the way the serial# should be of more importance than what anybody thinks or don't thinks they see.

Bob [:D]

Link Posted: 5/28/2002 2:28:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Here's the deal Scooter, a FFL sends me a illegal rifle it goes right back. I can return a rifle to a FFL by mail.
View Quote

You can't return an illegal rifle to a private party seller or inform the ATF?

So now I'm supposed to be running serial numbers?!?
View Quote

If you are serious about protecting yourself and your customers, yes. Verify.

How about I just stick to getting guns from reputable dealers I'm already familiar with.
View Quote

Because that really limits the the number of sources from which you and your customers are able to find products. We're talking about pre-ban weapons here. They aren't exactly growing on trees or being made anymore. You may need a fairly broad range of sources to satisfy a customers particular needs.

See here is the problem. I'm a firearm dealer, not a transfer for flat fee guy. My business, my rules.
View Quote

Good for you. Based on you previous posts, business must be booming and you'll soon be able to retire, right?

Can I come to your job and tell YOU how to do it and how much YOU are allowed to charge?
View Quote

Buy enough BNSF stock and you certainly can, albeit in accordance amd within the limits of government regulations and negotiated schedules. [;)]

Seriously Boomer, what the hell is your problem?

I simply state that I prefer NOT to deal with internet gun auction sites because there is so much of the above going on.

I prefer to run a legit business and deal with responsible people and LEGAL guns.
View Quote

Problem? What's your problem? Lighten up. You mentioned and rationalized dealers that ONLY do FFL to FFL transfer, seemingly indicating that you are among them. As a consumer, that limits MY options and choices. If that's how you or anyone else prefers to run their business, then fine. Only time will tell if such a backwards thinking business model is economically viable in the current firearms market conditions.

Fortunately, there are forward thinking gun dealers who embrace the Internet and how it has radically influenced the way guns are bought and sold and who are willing to cater to savvy shoppers willing to do their own leg work.

And horror of all horrors I actually attempt to derive a living from my business.
View Quote

And no one can blame you for that.

When you're not fucking with me are you bothering fireman for wasting water?
View Quote

It depends. What are they doing? Is there an ongoing drought? [;)]
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 3:30:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Could be if he paid the tax . . .
Bob [:D]

View Quote

What tax are you referring to?  If you are talking about a marriage between a RDIAS and a post-ban lower, then I would agree.  If you are, as I suspect, referring to a SBR tax on a Form 1, then you are mistaken.  You cannot put a tele-stock on a post-ban lower even with  approved Form 1 SBR status.
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 3:47:58 AM EDT
[#20]
STEVE in VA   I'm talking about he may have an M16 and paid the taxes to have one, You can't tell by that picture what he has!  And we are talking pre-ban here.

Bob  
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 3:55:02 AM EDT
[#21]
The BATF should just arrest him for that stupid flash hider.
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 3:59:34 AM EDT
[#22]
It's the most useless piece of metal I've ever seen in my life.

If you mount a collapsible stock, it's ok to have the barrel SHORTER than the standard version.
To have the standard barrel with the collapsible is like to put full throttle on a Ferrari and than to brake to adjust the speed.
Also the flash suppressor... BLEAH! On a standard barrel? Naaaaaa...

This aside the legal implication for a US owner of this "Frankenrifle"...

It's a nonsense rifle...
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 4:01:53 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
STEVE in VA   I'm talking about he may have an M16 and paid the taxes to have one, You can't tell by that picture what he has!  And we are talking pre-ban here.

Bob  
View Quote

The ad referred to a "Bushy XM15" and he's selling everything for $800.00.

If it's a pre-ban, he's OK.  If it's a post-ban, there is no tax that would allow him to put a tele-stock on the lower, unless it was a Form 1 marriage to a Form 4 RDIAS.
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 4:06:38 AM EDT
[#24]
PREBAN-  PREBAN-PEBAN-  Use the words from Ritchie Havens (wood stock)  Freedom-Freedom -Freedom As opposed cto PREBAN-PREBAN-PREBAN/

He's got a preban rifle and therefore he is a troll.

bob   [:K}
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 4:24:03 AM EDT
[#25]
I never saw any add for a sale only whats wrong with this pic,so there for I would kindly back down from any shit talk that i ever gave any of you guys,and dip shit you are what gives me headaches.

Go ahead and sell that shit but i bet not around here ,I don't know you so I can't help you .     All the rest of you AR/15 brothers I don't mean you no trash, But buddy you had better take it easy,just wait till the ban sunsets then you can get creative, I hope no harm no fowl.

Bob   [50]
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 4:26:10 AM EDT
[#26]
"TAX, TAX, TAX", as liberal dems like to chant.  

I was addressing that aspect of your reply.  As I said, if it's a pre-ban, he's OK (and neither "tax" nor "M16" would apply).  BTW, I see nothing that would indicate he has a pre-ban and suspect it is NOT a preban given the price and the conspicuous lack of the term in the description.  Which is why I wrote what I did in reply to your comment.
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 4:37:50 AM EDT
[#27]
Well big stick my head up my ass Steve,as I didn't even know he was selling it.  Thanks for being so polite to me.  I can neither conferm nor deny that i have nothing to say.

Thanx  Bob [:D]
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 4:38:40 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I never saw any add for a sale only whats wrong with this pic,so there for I would kindly back down from any shit talk that i ever gave any of you guys,and dip shit you are what gives me headaches.

Go ahead and sell that shit but i bet not around here ,I don't know you so I can't help you .     All the rest of you AR/15 brothers I don't mean you no trash, But buddy you had better take it easy,just wait till the ban sunsets then you can get creative, I hope no harm no fowl.

Bob   [50]
View Quote

Huh?

Are you confusing my with someone else?  I hope I'm not giving you that headache- just trying to think through some legal issues with you.  No flame, just discussion.

Take care,

Steve

Just read your last reply- don't worry about it- I figured it was just an oversight or something.  Take care.
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 4:41:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 12:02:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

You can't return an illegal rifle to a private party seller or inform the ATF?
View Quote

NO, it is illegal to mail a rifle to a NON FFL/private party. And I try not to turn ANYONE in to the ATF.

Quoted:

If you are serious about protecting yourself and your customers, yes. Verify.
View Quote

Seems my current system does a fine job.

Quoted:

Because that really limits the the number of sources from which you and your customers are able to find products. We're talking about pre-ban weapons here. They aren't exactly growing on trees or being made anymore. You may need a fairly broad range of sources to satisfy a customers particular needs.
View Quote

Well seeing as how prebans are one of my primary focuses I disagree. I have a well established network of dealers who I work with. For other reasons you may never have thought of, for instance things arrive in the condition described etc. And MY policies certainly DO NOT limit YOUR options, you are free to find another gun dealer. In fact the only thing that limits your options is the amount of FFLs going out of business trying to survive on the flat fee you are willing to pay them.

Quoted:

Good for you. Based on you previous posts, business must be booming and you'll soon be able to retire, right?
View Quote

Actually, I am doing OK since most of my customers are NOT like you. Not rich, but still eating.

Quoted:

Buy enough BNSF stock and you certainly can, albeit in accordance amd within the limits of government regulations and negotiated schedules. [;)]
View Quote

How dare YOU limit MY options.

Quoted:

Problem? What's your problem? Lighten up. You mentioned and rationalized dealers that ONLY do FFL to FFL transfer, seemingly indicating that you are among them. As a consumer, that limits MY options and choices. If that's how you or anyone else prefers to run their business, then fine. Only time will tell if such a backwards thinking business model is economically viable in the current firearms market conditions.
View Quote

Actually despite all your good advice, I'm doing ok. But you really should pull a FFL you are a marketing genius.

Quoted:
Fortunately, there are forward thinking gun dealers who embrace the Internet and how it has radically influenced the way guns are bought and sold and who are willing to cater to savvy shoppers willing to do their own leg work.
View Quote

What all this babble comes down to is YOU want to buy guns at cost and have a FFL transfer them to YOU at next to nothing. You can try and pretend otherwise if you want. What you DON'T want to recognize is a dealer CANNOT stay in business this way. The sad fact is you will probably have to pay an additional $25.00 for your next SKS.
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 12:55:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
What all this babble comes down to is YOU want to buy guns at cost and have a FFL transfer them to YOU at next to nothing. You can try and pretend otherwise if you want.
View Quote

I'm not trying to pretend about anything. That's absolutely right. If [b]I[/b] go out and make all the effort to find a rifle I want, take care of all the payment and shipping arrangements, why would I or should I have to pay you 10% for nothing more than the mere formality or filling out a 4473?

What you DON'T want to recognize is a dealer CANNOT stay in business this way. The sad fact is you will probably have to pay an additional $25.00 for your next SKS.
View Quote

Wrong. Many dealers can and DO stay in business while offering to do transfers at reasonable flat fee rates. It's not their sole business, just a service they offer.

The dealers I've seen who weren't able to stay in business are the ones who think the clock stopped 10 years ago and that they keep on blindly gouging their customers.
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 1:08:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I'm not trying to pretend about anything. That's absolutely right. If [b]I[/b] go out and make all the effort to find a rifle I want, take care of all the payment and shipping arrangements, why would I or should I have to pay you 10% for nothing more than the mere formality or filling out a 4473?
View Quote

Because YOU are not a FFL. YOU are not entitled to dealer price as a result. looking through shotgun news and making a phone call is not "doing the work" and does NOT entitle you to dealer price.

Quoted:

Wrong. Many dealers can and DO stay in business while offering to do transfers at reasonable flat fee rates. It's not their sole business, just a service they offer.

The dealers I've seen who weren't able to stay in business are the ones who think the clock stopped 10 years ago and that they keep on blindly gouging their customers.
View Quote

Actually YOU seem to think the clock stopped 10 years ago. When FFLs were only $40.00 and you could run a business off of your kitchen counter 10% transfers were fair. Now that regulations and overhead are much higher most "dealers" need to charge a little more.

I watch transfer dealers go out of business all the time. I'm still in business and intend to stay that way. Fortunately I don't have a many customers like you.

But tell you what, I'm willing to try it. I am starting a sideline "SteyrAUGs Welfare Guns for Communists", this sideline will ONLY do transfers for a flat fee. As a result of it's limited income capacity I won't be able to promote it much, or devote much time to it, but I'm sure that guys just like you will come in hordes to keep it in business. The flat fee will only be as much is necessary to pay for the cost of licensing and operatinal expenses. No effort will be maded to generate a profit.

If intersted email [url][email protected][/url] "Welfare Guns for Communists" offer and a non paid employeee will handle your transaction as soon as we assign one to your transaction case.
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 1:23:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 1:28:11 PM EDT
[#34]

If it truly is a preban, then It is a really good deal, the lower alone is worth his asking price. But you would think He would have specifically said PRE-BAN in his ad.

My guess is that he doesnt even know what a pre-ban is, that he slapped a telestock and flash hider on not even knowing that It was illegal.
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 1:50:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Unfortunately, for SteyrAUG, my local dealer disproves EVERYTHING he has to say about the sunject. This is a dealer who, as part of a hardware store, has been in business for the last 20 years that I can remember, and probably a hell of a lot longer than that. They do transfers from out of state dealers and private sellers for a flat $25. They also stock a limited number of competitively priced firearms that tend to be the most popular in general with the local sportsmen and shooters. They sell ammunition and a few accessories at reasonable prices. I've never come right out and asked it, but based on casual conversation with the manager it sounds as if simple transfers are now a large portion of their business. And the business is not just surviving, but thriving. This is a perfect example of a dealer who is embracing the new economy and finding success in it.

SteyAUG seems to be hung up on dealer pricing. That's not even what I'm talking about. If I'm buying a new Remington rifle, I don't expect to pay what the distributor charges. As an informed consumer, I don't have any problem whatsoever with a reasonable markup. But I'll be damned if I'm going to spend my time watching all the various gun related websites, find a rifle I would like to buy from an out of state dealer or private party, take care of payment and shipping arrangements myself, and then pay a local dealer at least $100 just for the 5 minutes it takes him to fill out a 4473. Thankfully there are dealers who do realize that isn't reasonable and do not atempt to extort their customers in such a manner.
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 2:01:43 PM EDT
[#36]
I remember my Grandfather ran a grocery store in Crowell, Texas. It was just after WWI and it was a very modest grocery store from the beginning.

He had five ladies in town, mostly widows, who baked bread which he sold in his store.

He always remarked that the bread was the best he'd ever eaten and my Grandmother was the best cook in the County (sez he!), so this bread must have been great!

A cityslicker from Dallas came to see him in 1930 and told him that he could make more of a profit by selling Mrs Beaird's Bread, which was machine made and sliced, for a lot less than he could buy it for from the 5 ladies who made bread for him.

My Grandfather refused the man's offer, but another grocery store took the offer and was soon selling Mrs Beaird's Bread, with all its newfangled, highfalutin, advertising.

Well, what with the Great Depression having hit and his prices being undercut by these new products, etc., my Grandfather went out of business and the 5 ladies went on relief.

As soon as this occurred, the other grocery raised the price of Mrs Beairds Bread to what my Grandfather used to charge for the handmade bread, which everyone admitted was much superior.

What does all this have to do with FFLs and the fees they charge for handling transfers?

I have no earthly idea!

I just wanted to talk about my Grandfather! [:D]

Eric The(ThereIsAMoral,FigureItOut!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 2:14:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 3:13:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

If a distributor or any one else for that matter wants to sell at wholesale price there are no limitations to who can buy from them.

Finding a receiver for that purchase might be a different matter though.

You do not have to be a dealer to buy at "dealer price".

Also, seem to me if he found the item, sent funds for the item and has a means to transfer the item he "did the work".
View Quote

But you do need to be a FFL to receive the item. Sorta the same thing.
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 3:29:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 3:48:10 PM EDT
[#40]
It just may be a pre-ban lower--which would fetch around $500 by ittself.  The seller didn't mention the serial number.  If it's under L-63000 then it's a pre-ban.

Link Posted: 5/28/2002 3:50:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Bob   [50]
View Quote

CT passed a bill keeping the federal AW bill on the CT books indefinitely.
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 3:55:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Let me try and end this as maturely as Maynard. And this is not directed specifically to him.

I don't sell hardware and transfers are not my primary business.

I am a firearms dealer, I buy at dealer price and sell for a profit, except in the case of prebans where there is no such thing as dealer price.

For known customers I will, as a matter of courtesy, receive private transaction firearms for the cost of a background check and file fee.

The exception being those who would want to order firearms directly from a wholesale supplier at dealer price.

I still manage to offer firearms at less than manufacturers retail because I keep my overhead as low as possible. I charge enough to make a living and stay in business. The reality is there is not a gun market like there was twenty years ago. Even the largest stores don't get the sheer volume needed to operate on a 10% markup. Smaller dealers like myself have even less activity.
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 4:11:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Collapsible stocks on 20" AR's are super cool.  Those of you who thinks it looks funny, just look at the fullsize HK91 and FN FAL as an example.  Both of those are fullsize weapons and the collapsible/folding stocks fit them well.  
View Quote

Oh man...
It's kind of like truck configuration. A single cab looks great with an 8ft box, but put an 8ft box on a club cab and it looks like shit. Likewise a club cab only looks good with a 6ft box. Standard stocks go good with 20 in rifles but not with 16 in barrels. An M4 with a trap door stock looks like an ape with a midget sized pecker, which is why there's nothing wrong with people puting faux collapsible stocks on post bans for asthetic purposes.
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 4:13:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Oh man...
It's kind of like truck configuration. A single cab looks great with an 8ft box, but put an 8ft box on a club cab and it looks like shit. Likewise a club cab only looks good with a 6ft box. Standard stocks go good with 20 in rifles but not with 16 in barrels. An M4 with a trap door stock looks like an ape with a midget sized pecker, which is why there's nothing wrong with people puting faux collapsible stocks on post bans for asthetic purposes.
View Quote

What he said.
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 4:55:26 PM EDT
[#45]
I guess to me the only thing that looks wrong is I can't see a shell deflector.
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 5:12:39 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Oh man...
View Quote

Here's what the cool 20" "shorty" looks like.  An image I found taken randomly off the net.
[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid21/p5097511236c5b3647dbb47afb68c9121/fdb28023.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 6:53:59 PM EDT
[#47]
mine looks like that one right now
(im midway through a m4 conversion) i find it a bit front heavy, but thats just me.
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 4:43:30 AM EDT
[#48]
This matter has been resolved without the alphabet boys,it seems that the kid went to a gun show and a guy selling accessories told the young man that it was OK to build what ever rifle you want,the young mans father was greatful that someone took the time to e-mail and help straiten this out before the kid got into big trouble ,from what i was told the rifle is at factory specs now and will remain that way.
Who ever took the time to help this kid out ,Thanks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top