Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/27/2002 11:19:21 AM EDT
I got ate up by mosquitos the other night, and they're starting to itch like crazy right now. I'm thinking about just cutting them open and rinsing them out with vodka.

Any other ideas?
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 11:24:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like a plan!
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 11:24:50 AM EDT
[#2]
No, that sounds like a great idea. Drink the entire bottle of Vodka, mix if you must. Before you pass out take a very sharp knife and make an "X" over the bite and suck out the poison being very careful not to swallow. Tomorrow ask yourself "Where the hell did all these cuts come from!?!"
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 11:34:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Cutting them open is a very bad idea because they will hurt 10x worse.  Just leave them be maybe get a topical cream OTC for them.  Hell, I've been putting on repellent even when I am inside because of the West Nile Virus.

Keving67
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 11:44:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Mmmmm, Itchy!
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 12:13:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Get yourself a bat house!!
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 12:20:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Cutting them open is a very bad idea because they will hurt 10x worse.  
Keving67
View Quote

[:o]
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 12:28:08 PM EDT
[#7]
The vodka will work much better internally.

You can dilute it with tonic or other mixers, but be aware that this will reduce the efficacy of the "medicine".
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 12:55:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Sand off the bumps.

or

....swabbing the bite with an antiseptic–alcohol or witch hazel
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 12:55:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Jarhead22,

being as you are tuff & a Marine.., do it the real mans way, get a can of spray carbretor cleaner & a bic lighter, when they land on ya, just spray & flame !!

then drink the Vodka [:D]

Link Posted: 5/27/2002 1:02:14 PM EDT
[#10]
One time, at boot camp.... (that one's for you, TheRedGoat [:D])

At Parris Island, I watched a guy take his scuz brush (wooden handled, stiff bristled scrub brush) to his sand flea bites until blood dripped from his fingertips. He knew he was tearing himself up, but it felt too good to stop.

I'm not quite at that point yet, but I was curious to see if anyone had any effective remedies for mosquito bites. I take it from this thread that the answer is pretty much a great big no.
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 1:10:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

At Parris Island, I watched a guy take his scuz brush (wooden handled, stiff bristled scrub brush) to his sand flea bites until blood dripped from his fingertips. He knew he was tearing himself up, but it felt too good to stop.

I'm not quite at that point yet, but I was curious to see if anyone had any effective remedies for mosquito bites. I take it from this thread that the answer is pretty much a great big no.
View Quote

Okay, aside from getting ripped on vodka and forgetting about the itch, I have used Campho-Phenique on mosquito bites and it did a pretty good job of stopping the itch.  You should be able to find it a most drug stores.

I've also heard that crushing up some aspirin, mixing with enough water to make a paste, and putting this paste on the bites will help.  I've never tried it, so I can't say whether it works or not.

Link Posted: 5/27/2002 1:21:03 PM EDT
[#12]
1)topical hydrocortisone cream or ointment(cortaid 10) work into skin as needed-you can use this alot if needed, and you will.

2)caladryl lotion in between. Could also use Aveeno bath or lotion.

3)benadryl-- wil probably help more than anything for the itching. It will make you drowsy, especially at higher doses. Care with driving, etc.

----don't use aspirin paste.
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 1:25:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 1:26:05 PM EDT
[#14]
I swear this works I use this every time I get a mosquito bite. Before you go to bed put toothpaste over the bite by morning the itch should be gone.
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 1:28:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 1:59:34 PM EDT
[#16]
My dad used to bring some stuff home from his work, can't remember the name but that shit worked great. It was like 98% ammonia I think, in a little tube looked like a marker. Stung some going on but it stopped the itchin quick. Think maybe the name was After Bite?
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 3:14:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 3:55:40 PM EDT
[#18]
I remember rubbing Jewel Weed on mosquito bites when I was a kid at camp, seemed to work pretty well.

[url]http://www.holoweb.com/cannon/jewelwee2.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 4:03:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 4:10:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 4:18:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
My dad used to bring some stuff home from his work, can't remember the name but that shit worked great. It was like 98% ammonia I think, in a little tube looked like a marker. Stung some going on but it stopped the itchin quick. Think maybe the name was After Bite?
View Quote

My dad used to borrow something similar from the first aid kits in his work truck. They were little glas vials inside a plastic sheath with a bit of cotton stuck in the end. You broke the vial and the stuff seeped into the cotton which you then rubbed on the bite. Worked great.

Link Posted: 5/27/2002 4:18:59 PM EDT
[#22]
It's nothing but a challenge to your self control. If you're a little girl, then you'll need help- Anti-itch medicines are for pansies, and the fortitudinally challenged. Around here the mosquitoes weigh 1-2 pounds, and sound like black helicopters! If they bite you, you might lose an arm... Quit your whining!

[-=(_)=-]
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 10:31:51 PM EDT
[#23]
I would much rather have mosquito bites than hives! At least you don't get bit on the soles of your feet or palms of your hands and the intense itching doesn't last a week!

They told me that Chigg Away works pretty good on bug bites.
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 12:18:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Try one of the old time remedys that my mother taught me. Rub some soap into the bite area, this will take the itch away. Also works with ant bites.
GPSS
[url]www.georgiaprecision.com[/url]
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 1:36:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Don't know but if i were going to cut some mosquitoes open i would want Wolf Pack to do it as he is a licensed ninja.  And after he cut them open he would probably wash them out with Hawaiian punch, followed with a twinkie or two.

bob [:D]
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 4:51:01 AM EDT
[#26]
Make a paste of Adolf's Tenderizer and water. Put it on the bite or sting. It takes the itch/hurt right out. No shit!
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 5:49:28 AM EDT
[#27]
chewin tobacco juice works pretty well also !!!!!
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 6:18:37 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 9:25:16 AM EDT
[#29]
Hey, I can answer this one, being allergic to mosquito bites!

1. benadryl
2. fluocinonide cream (perscription needed)

I have tried practiclly all the home remedys, so far the above combination is working well. "After-bite" was my favorite for a long time, but then it quit working. Don't know why. Tried the meat tendorizer, soap, asprine, amonia, cutting and sucking, herbs, etc.

Just to let you know how bad they are on me, a single bite will produce a welt the size of a dime to a nickle about 3-5mm high. Sometimes they come in really funny shapes. My favorite one was a paralellagram (diamond shaped).

The biggest I have had welt was ~2.5cm dia. The doctor thought it was a spider bite or something else, but I smashed the mosquito when it bit me. So I knew what it was.

The most important thing to do is, just as the itching starts, apply the cream and take the benadryl. Don't wait for the welt to show, by then it is to late. You will be itching until the body works things out.
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 9:33:30 AM EDT
[#30]
Damn with a name like guzzler  you would think you would have a toxic blood count that would knock any bitting bug to the ground!
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 10:16:37 AM EDT
[#31]
I've been using Campho Penique since I was a kid.  Mosquitos love me, so I know what I'm talking about. It works great.  [;)]
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 10:45:35 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

I hear ya knockin'
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 3:58:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Damn with a name like guzzler  you would think you would have a toxic blood count that would knock any bitting bug to the ground!
View Quote

You would think that... but those damn buggers are resilent pain in the asses!
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 4:09:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Baking Soda+Water paste?
Calamine?
Ice?
Topical Steroid: hydrocortisone cream?
Antihistamine?  (Will probably sedate you)
An anti-inflammatory like Advil?
Time.

Link Posted: 5/28/2002 4:14:28 PM EDT
[#35]
I burn mine, and when the pain of the burn goes away, it takes the itch with it. Just do not touch it or it will start up again!
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 9:25:06 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Baking Soda+Water paste?
View Quote

I forgot about that one! It DOES work! Really well. Just make a paste, smear it on and let it dry. It is messy, but it works for when I don't have my pills or cream.
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 11:20:31 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

I forget what article he was violating but it is something to the effect of destruction of goverment property. UCMJ punishible offense.

Like I told you at lunch Jarhead_22, you need to eat more garlic, that will make you un palatable to any biting insect. Ancient Oriental Secret. [;)]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top