Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/27/2002 7:58:55 AM EDT
[url]http://www.scfirearms.org/garya.htm[/url]

I have a renter's insurance policy with them. After I verify this story it will be time to write a cancel letter and go shopping.

Any suggestions on who should get my business?

Link Posted: 5/27/2002 8:04:39 AM EDT
[#1]
might I suggest just the opposite... go shopping first, obtain and then cancel!  You don't need any gaps in coverage.  [:)]
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 8:05:46 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't know, Cuz.

I have state farm, and they provide me with several thousand dollars of gun coverage.

I wouldn't go as far as to say that state farm is anti gun.  It just sounds like a couple of Idiots work for the company.
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 8:07:10 AM EDT
[#3]
I cancelled state farm years ago when they changed my billing address twice in a two year period.  I didn't move though and wasn't getting any bills, so they cancelled my insurance because of non-payment.  They were sending the bills to some other state even though I hadn't moved.  State Farm sucks ass no matter how you look at it.
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 8:23:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I don't know, Cuz.

I have state farm, and they provide me with several thousand dollars of gun coverage.

I wouldn't go as far as to say that state farm is anti gun.  It just sounds like a couple of Idiots work for the company.
View Quote

My renter's policy covers up to 5K in firearms. So I guess they don't have a problem covering them as property. They seem to have a problem with you using guns though. They canned this guy's policy just because of shooting on his property. Even after he talked to the corporate HQ and offered to free them from any liability for gun related claims they still cancelled him. That sounds dirty to me.
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 11:44:47 PM EDT
[#5]
IIRC, State Farm was one of the sponsors of the Bell Campaign, an anti group. Also I **think** they're one of the MMM sponsors. They are a widely acknowledged anti group.

I'd check with the NRA as to who to get insurance from. I use Shelter.
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 12:19:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Al,

I KNOW Farmers will do a rider for 10K...doesnt cost much. They wont do anymore period. Best part unless there is a claim, they dont want any numbers or anything. When we signed the policy, I showed him my safe, asked if he wanted to see inside, he said only out of "personal curiosity"...Show & Tell time...He oooohed  and aaahhed...and that was it....

Good luck...
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 6:14:06 AM EDT
[#7]
I'll have to check with my agent on this one.  He is an avid hunter and gun collector.  He calls me occasionally to see what I think about the 'deals' he found at the latest gun show.  

I have all my insurance through State Farm:  home, 3 cars, and a separate policy for all of my guns.  I haven't had a lick of trouble with them and have been very happy.  

3 years ago my place was broken into twice, and all my guns, among other valuables, were stolen.  The State Farm claims rep offered, and then wrote me out a check so that I could go and replace my Benelli M1S90 in time for the opening day of pheasant season.  
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 6:28:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
My renter's policy covers up to 5K in firearms.
View Quote

Yes, but I don't think the renter's policy will cover firearms if they are stolen.
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 6:49:43 AM EDT
[#9]
I live in the same area as GAry. I have met him & been to his range. I also have State Farm insurance. This was a case of one soccer mom agent making a call on her own. She was probably worked up by Rosie O'donnel or some such BS. The company at first just went with her recomendation to not cover Gary. She is after all the point person for the company. Just like if your agent thought your car was unsafe or a drag race car or your house was going to fall in on you etc... They wouldn't write a policy on you either.
The real problem came after the company decided to back their agent even after the reality had set in that Gary was a good guy & the risk was negligible. It caused Gary a great deal of trouble, time & probably money. It also caused MANY customers of State Farm to question their agents & threaten to cancel policies. Bottom line is that they screwed one good customer, lost more due to ONE agents ignorance and continue to field questions about it to this day. This took place almost 2 years ago. When it was all said & done, I still have my insurance with State Farm. My agent is a great guy & a sportsman. I have additional firearm insurance wit them as well. They are not anti-gun.
Scott
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 8:28:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 8:39:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Ditto what Gun-Fan said- I have no problems with these people in my area.
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 8:44:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I live in the same area as GAry. I have met him & been to his range. I also have State Farm insurance. This was a case of one soccer mom agent making a call on her own. She was probably worked up by Rosie O'donnel or some such BS. The company at first just went with her recomendation to not cover Gary. She is after all the point person for the company. Just like if your agent thought your car was unsafe or a drag race car or your house was going to fall in on you etc... They wouldn't write a policy on you either.
The real problem came after the company decided to back their agent even after the reality had set in that Gary was a good guy & the risk was negligible. It caused Gary a great deal of trouble, time & probably money. It also caused MANY customers of State Farm to question their agents & threaten to cancel policies. Bottom line is that they screwed one good customer, lost more due to ONE agents ignorance and continue to field questions about it to this day. This took place almost 2 years ago. When it was all said & done, I still have my insurance with State Farm. My agent is a great guy & a sportsman. I have additional firearm insurance wit them as well. They are not anti-gun.
Scott
View Quote

Well explained Scott, Sounds like another gun hater on a personal vendetta that caused all of the problems. I think the decision from SF was based on the umbrella, thats quite an liability exposure if some sort of liability suit arrised.

Plus were in a "hard market" and insurance companies are reluctant to insured anything.
If you think guns are bad, try to get homeowners insurance if you have a pit bull or a rot.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top