Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/24/2011 9:09:32 AM EDT
While passing through ABQ last week, got pulled over for 14mph over the 65mph limit on I-25 by NMHP.

Had been 75 on I-40 all the way in from AZ.

Highway Patrol was on far right shoulder, my vehicle was far left lane (3 lanes over) in fairly congested late afternoon traffic.

He claimed to have used 'Goldeneye' Radar via his rear receiver, but would not give further info regarding what band it used, or show me a printout/screen of the speed, saying we'd figure that out in court.
Radar detector with X, K, Ka, Laser did not make a peep.

Handed my CCW, DL and Insurance info over, and it was easily a 10 minute stop, meaning he had plenty of time for accuracy, did not get an urgent call in the middle of writing it, etc..

He stroked me the ticket, but on review a couple of days later, I noticed he put my Middle name as my First name, and my First Name as my last name on the ticket
e.g.  true name:  James Michael Smith, but filled on ticket as: Michael James
My last name was completely omitted from the citation.

DOB, DL # etc. written on ticket are all accurate.  I am not a NM resident.
My name is as simple as the name above, all english, and it is listed on my license as First, Middle, Last.
Is this guy in some way trying to let me off, or did he have a brain fade?

Question:
In NM, is this material error enough to invalidate the citation?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 9:12:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Don't pay it and if you don't get a warrant issued for you then you're gtg.
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 9:30:09 AM EDT
[#2]
If you went to court I'm 99% sure it'd get thrown out, but seeing as you're from out of state I don't think you really have that option.  

At the same time, if you genuinely weren't speeding, and your detector didn't go off, it sure sounds like this guy was just filling his quota for the day with you, for better or worse. I would probably not pay it, but it WILL lead to a warrant.  However the warrant will be for someone other than yourself, with mixed up first and middle names - which isn't so bad
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 9:33:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Dont ignore it.  Even with the name mix up, it will haunt you and bite you in the ass someday.  I would call the court and explain the situation.
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 12:39:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Definitely won't ignore it.

Would be interesting to see what game-end would be IF they issued a warrant and IF I ever got through NM again and IF they pulled me over.
Uh, we have a warrant for you, Michael James....uh, my name is Jim Smith guys, WTF?

Not willing to go that route, however.

Was curious if the ticket would need to be re-written and/or re-served to me, in which case since I'm not a NM state resident if it would make it too cumbersome to pursue and they'd just dismiss.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top