Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/23/2011 11:52:30 AM EDT
After a thread a couple of months ago here I've been dropping off dog food to our local animal shelter every couple of weeks (100LBs of food).

I'm thinking about joining the ASPCA (The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals) and just wondered if there were any reasons
I shouldn't (?) based on the experiences others might have with them.

Anyway, good guys?
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 11:58:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
After a thread a couple of months ago here I've been dropping off dog food to our local animal shelter every couple of weeks (100LBs of food).

I'm thinking about joining the ASPCA (The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals) and just wondered if there were any reasons

Anyway, good guys?

IMO, its best to donate to your local animal shelter. I know the Humane Society of the US are a lobbying group that have a serious anti-hunting and anti-pet ownership agenda.

I think the ASPCA also does a lot of legislative lobbying. If you want your money to go to caring for animals, you are best off supporting a local rescue or local humane society.

ETA:

Check out the advocacy page on their site. I know they lobby against the ownership of exotic pets, including birds and reptiles, which is a deal killer for me. They are like a watered-down PETA.

Also on their agenda:

-Chaining up dogs (I don't personally support keeping a dog chained up, but am not for laws illegalizing it)
-Anti rodeo, circus, and dog racing
-Anti puppy mill (The puppy mill laws always seriously impact legitimate breeders)
- Anti-hoarding laws, limiting the number of animals you can own.

A lot of the laws they push have legitimate causes in mind, but they push restrictions that affect a much broader group than who they claim to target.

Link Posted: 6/23/2011 11:59:45 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Anyway, good guys?

IMO, its best to donate to your local animal shelter. I know the Humane Society of the US are a lobbying group that have a serious anti-hunting and anti-pet ownership agenda.

I think the ASPCA is also does a lot of legislative lobbying. If you want your money to go to caring for animals, you are best off supporting a local rescue or local humane society.

This is my vote. I'm sure it would be easy to find rescue organizations in your area that would be thrilled to get some donations or food or old towels/blankets.

Link Posted: 6/23/2011 12:05:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Anyway, good guys?

I think the ASPCA is also does a lot of legislative lobbying. If you want your money to go to caring for animals, you are best off supporting a local rescue or local humane society.

This is my vote. I'm sure it would be easy to find rescue organizations in your area that would be thrilled to get some donations or food or old towels/blankets.  

Thanks guys!.

That's just what I was looking for (But too lazy to Google).
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 12:20:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Interesting tidbit. ASPCA has armed law enforcement officers in NYC who are New York State Peace Officers, have full powers of arrest, and can carry firearms on and off duty.

Link Posted: 6/23/2011 12:23:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Sarah McLachlan finally got to you with that "Arms of the angel" song huh?

Link Posted: 6/23/2011 12:26:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 12:26:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anyway, good guys?

I think the ASPCA also does a lot of legislative lobbying. If you want your money to go to caring for animals, you are best off supporting a local rescue or local humane society.

ETA:

Check out the advocacy page on their site. I know they lobby against the ownership of exotic pets, including birds and reptiles, which is a deal killer for me. They are like a watered-down PETA.

Also on their agenda:

-Chaining up dogs (I don't personally support keeping a dog chained up, but am not for laws illegalizing it)
-Anti rodeo, circus, and dog racing
-Anti puppy mill (The puppy mill laws always seriously impact legitimate breeders)
- Anti-hoarding laws, limiting the number of animals you can own.

A lot of the laws they push have legitimate causes in mind, but they push restrictions that affect a much broader group than who they claim to target.

What he said - ASPCA IS PETA, run by the very same whackos. Support your local shelters directly.
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 12:42:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Anyway, good guys?

Thanks guys!.

That's just what I was looking for (But too lazy to Google).

I donate time, money and food to Animeals, a local no kill shelter that dose good work. And I can see where everything goes.
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 12:43:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 12:46:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Just another leftist group scamming people with emotional pleas, then using the money for VERY different purposes than claimed.  Screw them.  

Correct, So is the Humane Society. They are anti-hunting tree hugging nuts if you ask me. Give to your local "county" ran shelter. I know its government, but at least they are not lobbying against you.  
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 12:46:55 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd donate if Sarah McLachlan would come accept the money.
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 12:48:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I always change channels when that comes on.  
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 12:56:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I always change channels when that comes on.  

Yeah, that shit fuckin' KILLS me!  It's the main reason that I've been thinking this route....

Thanks to all of you who bought me a vowel though....

Thanks again folks!
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 1:00:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anyway, good guys?

Concur.
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 1:06:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Go to your local and give them dogfood and catfood. Ask them what they like first. We took the local lady that runs the shelter here and said you have $1000 bucks and go at it.  It is a good feeling to do that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top