Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/26/2002 10:34:48 PM EDT
Many, many years ago when I first married, I gave nice Buck knives to my groomsmen as gifts for standing in for me.
A trend I’ve seen lately amongst my younger brethren and friends is to do the same with nice edged weapons.

Tonight was the third time since 10/02 that I stood in as a groomsman to a friend / brother and received a cool knife. I think the idea is bitching and I like to think I kinda originated the “fad”.
Got a nice little personally engraved Kershaw “Ken Onion” this lovely evening.

I [I]MAY[/I] be getting married next year, and if so I’m seriously thinking about giving all my groomsmen a  decent Springfield, Colt or Para-Ordnance 1911 gift for standing in for me.
Kick it up a notch you know.

… Yeah, I do have a sentimental side to me.

( I meant 10/01)

Link Posted: 5/26/2002 10:37:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I'll rent a nice tux.
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 10:49:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I gave a former boss a chainsaw for a wedding present. Afterwards he jokingly handed me a dollar and said that giving knives or other sharp instuments as a wedding present was bad luck. I had never heard of such a taboo.
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 10:59:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I find that the best way to present edged weapons as gifts is to plunge it into the recipients chest. You'll always get an emotional reaction that way.
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 11:10:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I find that the best way to present edged weapons as gifts is to plunge it into the recipients chest. You'll always get an emotional reaction that way.
View Quote

... Oh man, I'm LMFAO!

... You cruel fvcks!

Never heard of the bad luck thingy.

... But then again, sometimes us last bachelors wonder if living without a wife is the right thing to do.

... For now, I firmly believe it is the right thing for me.

... but who knows WTF the future has in hold???
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 11:13:45 PM EDT
[#5]
WW:::
Many years ago when I first married, I gave nice Buck knives to my groomsmen as gifts.... ... I like to think I kinda originated the “fad”..
[I]MAY[/I] be getting married next year, and if so I'm seriously thinking about giving all my groomsmen a  decent Springfield, Colt or Para-Ordnance 1911 gift for standing in for me.
View Quote

Just stick to Ken Onion, Kershaw, even cheap Pakistan blades! If they were REAL friends, they'd talk you out of that marriage nonsense!....... [;D].
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 11:23:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I’m seriously thinking about giving all my groomsmen a  decent Springfield, Colt or Para-Ordnance 1911 gift for standing in for me.

View Quote

BTW, do you need any volunteers? [:D]
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 5:44:19 AM EDT
[#7]
I have also heard of the bad luck thing with gifts of edged weapons. The superstition says a gift knife will "cut your friendship".
We always got around it in this family by charging a penny for a gift knife.
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 7:01:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have also heard of the bad luck thing with gifts of edged weapons. The superstition says a gift knife will "cut your friendship".
We always got around it in this family by charging a penny for a gift knife.
View Quote

It will "cut your friendship" because if the receiver of the gift cuts/kills himself with the gift, it was your fault for giving it to him/her, but if you "exchange" it for say a penny, then the jinx is off.
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 7:48:58 AM EDT
[#9]
hell, i would travel 1000 miles for that.. when do i rent the tux??
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 8:04:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Wolf:

I gave my wife the second one from the bottom with a stag handle and ss blade as an engagement gift.

[img]http://www.randallknives.com/images/photos/skinning2-big.jpg[/img]

I'm not superstitious, it's bad luck.

-White Horse
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 8:08:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

you are one sick mother
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 9:23:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If they were REAL friends, they'd talk you out of that marriage nonsense!....... [;D].
View Quote

Now that's funny!!! True but, funny!
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 9:57:14 AM EDT
[#13]
My Dad and I have been exchanging cutlery as gifts for close to 30 years now... there's always something neat and new to pick up, and it's a hobby he and I both enjoy. Of late, we've been giving each other specialized kitchen cutlery, as most folks know, the bulk of knives made for cooking are crap.

That having been said, the origin of the best man in a wedding was one of security. The role of the best man was literally to defend the bride from being abducted during the ceremony by intruders, and at the same time to defend the life of the groom in the same case, should an attempt on his life be made to exacerbate the successful execution of a kidnapping. Thus, he was armed. Since then, the best man just hands out rings, and looks stiff in a rented tux along with the happy couple on the altar. The one time I was a best man, at my brother's wedding, I made it a point to have my Benchmade AFCK tucked into my cummerbund for the sake of tradition, and because I like to be armed anyway. Knives as gifts are ideal, and should be practised more often, because even though everyone wants a new gun, knives are substantially more practical, as you can use and enjoy a knife far more frequently, and not scare hell out of wedding parties doing so.

Best to all,
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 10:11:25 AM EDT
[#14]
... Nice post [b]Arquebus12[/b].  I didn't know that about the best man.  I too carry an edged weapon EVERYWHERE I go.  In dress attire I'm usually discreet about it but if dressed casual it's quite visible.
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 10:21:34 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm in with Gunrunner. I'll renta nice tux and I'll give ya'll a nice wedding present too. Oh, make mine a DSA FAL carbine....[rolleyes]
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 10:30:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Ok Winston, here's the deal. You let me be your best man. I'll even bring you the bride. Been looking to unload my sister-in-law for sometime now. She's kind of a golddigger, but a former Cardinal cheerleader. What do ya say????
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 10:48:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Ok Winston, here's the deal. You let me be your best man. I'll even bring you the bride. Been looking to unload my sister-in-law for sometime now. She's kind of a golddigger, but a former Cardinal cheerleader. What do ya say????
View Quote

... LMFAO, "Unload"? Oh yeah that will bring out all the "nice catch" eligible bachelors. Can she spell prenuptial?

... I would however like to see a picture of her posted here!

... Hey, if it all worked out I'd upgrade you to a Kimber!
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 10:50:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 11:03:10 AM EDT
[#19]
When I stood up in a wedding, all I got was a big engraved beer mug.  It was a very nice gift but I would have LOVED a knife!  I have never thought about giving knives as a gift.  

Keving67
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 11:09:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Ok Winston, sounds like a deal. Hope you have lots of $$$$$. LOL
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top