Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/26/2002 10:00:28 PM EDT
Not necessarily kicking, more like arm bars and wrist holds.
Maybe leg kicks for a form of exercise
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 10:03:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Use hand to grasp gun firmly.

Crystal clear front sight...slowly squeeze the trigger.

[rail]
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 10:04:40 PM EDT
[#2]
The most effective is called "ching-ching-pow".

Link Posted: 5/26/2002 10:04:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Hapkido
Of course everyone thinks there style is
THE BEST.
I have studied Hapkido for over 10 years and it has never failed me. It is a well rounded art.
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 10:29:20 PM EDT
[#4]
hit in groin as hard as u can turn around run like hell
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 11:42:43 PM EDT
[#5]
No single style covers all the bases well.

Best thing is to learn various styles.

Things to consider:

Nearly all street fights end up on the ground so get some good grappling experience (ju jitsu, wrestling).

A large yet determined man can cross a room in less than a second (even over furniture), probably faster than you can draw your CCW, aim and shoot. Based on your question, I assume you realize that wearing your gun isn't a magic force field that automatically repels all attackers. You may not have time to draw.

Learn a variety of basic weapons also. Stick, staff, knife as well as your gun. Learning the basics of how to use them not only teaches YOU how to use them, it teaches you how to DEFEND against them if your attacker has one.

Learn how to defend against multiple attackers. Jackals usually travel in packs.

Learning various styles teaches you not only their strengths (grappling, hand-strikes, holds, kicks, throws, etc.) but also their weaknesses.

Best bet, get a mix of bare hand styles (Ju jitsu, judo, kenpo, taekwondo, boxing, wrestling) and mix in some basic weapons training (stick, knife).

Link Posted: 5/27/2002 5:20:16 AM EDT
[#6]
I think the best form of self-defense is awareness, and avoidance of physical confrontation. In any tactical situation, the opponent with the better developed mind will have a great advantage. But when all else fails and there is an apparent need for the use of force, the best system will be determined by you.

Just as each of us has a firearm that “works” for us, the same can be said about fighting systems. Of coarse the more “tools” you have in your mental toolbox, the better off you are. For me Kenpo works very well, but I tend to go for a quick end to an attack. Eyes, throat, knees and elbows are my targets.

In finding what works for you, and in training, find a place that is open for others to share what they have learned from other systems. In the studio where I did most of my training, it was run by a retired Navy Chief. After normal classes were over, a few of us would have open forum. I learned stuff that I still have no clue to what system it was from.
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 5:31:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Not necessarily kicking, more like arm bars and wrist holds.
Maybe leg kicks for a form of exercise
View Quote

No such beast exists.  Each type of combat or style has it's own strengths and weeknesses.  Watch something like UFC, with all of it's diverse styles, and you'll see guys of different styles win some and lose some.  Style and technique is important, but sometimes the fight in the person is just as important.  I'd start off with something as ordinary as TaeKwon-Do and then move to the other fighting styles.  It's pretty easy to find a TaeKwon-Do studio in any suburban area.  Then, once you've learned a bit, look for other styles of combat that appeal to you.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 9:22:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Whatever works.

Whatever you have a natural aptitude for.

Whatever gets you home intact.

Learns to use anything and everything that might keep you alive.

You can never know too much life preserving information.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top